Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Step Replacement Options- Easy DIY or no?

Friend has a 2017 25' FC with a step issue. He has located a new step assembly for $450 in the box. How hard is it to replace the steps? Is it an easy fix? If so, please explain if you can. Any pictures appreciated.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Why replacement?
Are they damaged from a brain fart? 😚
Or just won't lock in place?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-04-2021, 02:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Santa Clara , California
I purchased the Airsteam unit with the one top step in place and it works fine. I was handed the bottom step (which is in good shape) and a bag with some bent hinge brackets and nothing else. I got an exploded view parts list from Airstream and highlighted all the nuts, bolts, screws and brackets that needed replacing and gave it to Airstream requesting pricing. When I got it back I found out it would cost $505.95. They sold me a brand new completely assembled new stairs (in the box) for $450. Wanted to install it myself to save the $375 for installation. When I checked out how it was attached to the trailer underneath, it’s looks like the main brackets that are attached to the trailer go directly up through the protective sheet metal. So there’s no way to unbolt the old one to install the new one without removing the complete protective sheet metal. Is there another way that I’m not aware of?
Gypsyniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think you will have to cut access ports through the banana wrap to access the bolts. At least that is what I did for mine.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Santa Clara , California
Thanks for your input.
Gypsyniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:27 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I think you will have to cut access ports through the banana wrap to access the bolts. At least that is what I did for mine.

One shoulder bolt on my brand new 2022 FC fell out while trailering it home from the dealer. [emoji22]
There were several good suggestions provided to me on this forum but this recommendation seemed to be the consensus. Also suggested to me airstream_nuts_and_bolts.

-Phil
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Very tight maneuvering at Boyd's key west departing early...lets just say left the steps in the dumpster. Ordered replacement from selling dealer in eug...shipped to Atlanta CG.

Bolt pattern close but not bolt up ready. Relatives had a drill...all good. Note...steps were different mfr. And a cheaper replacement.

All should be workable as long as the bolts on the step are intact and the pattern in the same universe. My nuts on the subfloor tracks, were fine but needed to relocate (drill) 2 of 4 holes in the step itself.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #8
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Step replacement after railroad track incident

Yep, I had to replace the steps a few years ago. It wasn't too difficult. For me it was a set of railroad tracks in Marfa, Texas. The “no truck route” sign should have been my warning. Went forward anyway, all seemed fine. But upon arrival in Las Cruces, NM, the steps would not open. I replaced with step made by Elkhart Tool which cost $160. If memory serves, the bolt pattern on the AS was 8 inch but the bolt pattern on the new step was 7 inch. I bought a drill bit that would drill through steel, for the step not the Airstream. I drilled 2 new holes in the step frame, then attached to the AS using the same bolts that held the old step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 the approach.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	408778   Click image for larger version

Name:	step damage_12.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	408779  

Click image for larger version

Name:	new step.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	408780  
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:32 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Yep, I had to replace the steps a few years ago. It wasn't too difficult. For me it was a set of railroad tracks in Marfa, Texas. The “no truck route” sign should have been my warning. Went forward anyway, all seemed fine. But upon arrival in Las Cruces, NM, the steps would not open. I replaced with step made by Elkhart Tool which cost $160. If memory serves, the bolt pattern on the AS was 8 inch but the bolt pattern on the new step was 7 inch. I bought a drill bit that would drill through steel, for the step not the Airstream. I drilled 2 new holes in the step frame, then attached to the AS using the same bolts that held the old step.

Interesting. Your steps look like they bolt into the frame above. Mine, like the elkhart, have the holes on the side for a shoulder bolt to ride inside a side rail.

After looking at what the tracks did to your steps and noticing how low one of my low point drains is (I’m new), I see why so many raise their rigs.
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
This is a newer Airstream, (2017); different from older AS models. (I too had a "collision" of sorts with an "obstacle" on the inside of a curve while driving too close to the inside..bent my old steps all the way back. Replacement was easy with those steps.

The new steps are all aluminum, I believe. I have lost a screw in the lower step, but was able to repair by going to ACE. Recently had them "checked/tightened" while at JC.

Anyone of you replaced the new step assemblies? If so, do you by chance have pictures and advise for Gypsyniner?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 12-05-2021, 09:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
These are the "old" style steps I referred to in my earlier post. Thanks anyway, however.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Why replacement?
Are they damaged from a brain fart? ��
Or just won't lock in place?

Bob
����
Brain fart? Good guess, Bob! Could have been the wind, I suppose...think they were damaged or missing when he picked up his "new to him" 25' a while back. Missing one or both steps I believe.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
So, has anyone replaced the new steps on a 2017 or newer model?
Old 12-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Redding , California
Steps

I have a 2008 20' Safari and I have removed the steps twice, refurbished them, spray painted them and replaced them. Removal and install is easy if you have a floor jack and a 2' x 2' (approximate) piece of plywood. I place the plywood on the floor jack, roll it under the closed up steps, lift it up to support the steps, remove the bolts and nuts, then, using the floor jack I lower the steps to remove them. Reinstalling them is simply the reverse of the removal procedure. Regards.
dcarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarris View Post
I have a 2008 20' Safari and I have removed the steps twice, refurbished them, spray painted them and replaced them. Removal and install is easy if you have a floor jack and a 2' x 2' (approximate) piece of plywood. I place the plywood on the floor jack, roll it under the closed up steps, lift it up to support the steps, remove the bolts and nuts, then, using the floor jack I lower the steps to remove them. Reinstalling them is simply the reverse of the removal procedure. Regards.
Are you talking about the "new" steps or the "older" step with black sheet metal casing? This is the "currant, new" style steps with the aluminum rods hinge support rods, you know....the bottom step does a 180degree flip when you open/close? Thats the question on installation..the upper portion is secured somehow into the AS frame? I have also replaced the older style in my older 2008 25' when I banged it up; that was an easy fix, as you point out. The newer design however, is a bit trickier...thats why i was asking for pictures if someone has done this.