Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #1

1974 Argosy 26
Hillsville , Virginia
Starting from Scratch

After acquiring corpi delicti I took it to local rv repair shop to have it checked over. His honest reply: "I don't know much aboust AS; why don't you take it to dealer?" So I took it to authorized AS dealer nearest to me asking them to check out all the systems. After a week or so, they called out and said I was ready to go. They replaced elec. tongue jack - but it didn't work. While tech. worked on electrical connections at battery, wife noticed dirty sink showed no sign of testing. So they connected hose. and water poured out under sink. Turns out, all they did was flip a few switches, repack wheel bearings and replace tongue jack -- all of which I could have locally w/0 having to drive 180 miles twice and paying $90 an hour labor. And worse than that, the service manager fabricated replies to my specific questions. Letter of complaint to owner yielded nothing expect his complete confidence in his SM. Copy to AS in Ohio yielded nothing.

So who can I trust to check out true condition of systems?
JakeMtMn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Not to be a smart alec, but I think the best person would be yourself. You're free, you're honest with yourself, and you will need to know how all these systems operate at some point, so now would be as good a time as any! Once you assess what you need repaired, you can then bring it in & TELL them what to repair. If you're really ambitious, you can repair the small things yourself & save yourself some bucks!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Jake

Sorry, it appears you got shafted. I agree with Becky that you can do it yourself, but only if you have the knowledge.

The local dealer here in Lynchburg is RB Taylor. The service manager is Jason Taylor, and he is an outstanding technician and person. You sure don't need to be an Airstream dealer to check out the operating systems in an Airstream.

I will help you all I can. Please call me anytime at 434-401-4060.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeMtMn View Post
After acquiring corpi delicti I took it to local rv repair shop to have it checked over. His honest reply: "I don't know much aboust AS; why don't you take it to dealer?" So I took it to authorized AS dealer nearest to me asking them to check out all the systems. After a week or so, they called out and said I was ready to go. They replaced elec. tongue jack - but it didn't work. While tech. worked on electrical connections at battery, wife noticed dirty sink showed no sign of testing. So they connected hose. and water poured out under sink. Turns out, all they did was flip a few switches, repack wheel bearings and replace tongue jack -- all of which I could have locally w/0 having to drive 180 miles twice and paying $90 an hour labor. And worse than that, the service manager fabricated replies to my specific questions. Letter of complaint to owner yielded nothing expect his complete confidence in his SM. Copy to AS in Ohio yielded nothing.

So who can I trust to check out true condition of systems?
Trusting yourself is usually the best way to go.

You can get an Airstream service manual for 1974.

Most things in it are the same for an Argosy.

You would learn many things and at the same time save yourself some money too.

Repairing an Airstream or Argosy trailer is rather easy, if you have some kind of help.

If you can't trust a dealer to check out the coach, how could you trust him to do the repairs properly.

Start, after reading the manual, by making a list of things you find wrong. Then ball park repair parts costs etc., and time.

In that way you can budget your time, and money wisely.

The very beginning of repairs to any Airstream product is to make it water proof. Don't forget the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets that only last 2 to 3 years.

As you proceed, questions will pop up like no tomorrow.

That's what this site is all about. Ask questions, get answers. Some answers might have to be weighed as to their effectiveness for your situation, but it is a great starting point.

Same thing is true about parts. Deal with those dealers that know what your talking about, as they will provide the best help as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote