Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Engineering skills

Well, in the future you just need to apply some basic engineering skills and have the balancing capabilities of a Circus High Wire act. You can do anything....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engineering skills.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	158758  

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
This thread has me in stitches! (not literally: that's a job for standing on a propane cover.) I am going to go see if that dremel tool has a warning label on it before I do the childrens teeth.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Chuck, I am an engineer. PE Mechanical. I guess all of my problem solving sklls I learned so long ago are becoming a distant memory.

Skate, I'm glad you find our sophmoric humor fun. If you've ever spent a winterin Western Washington you would understand.

Anyway I went out and looked at my rock guards that I applied the Pledge to yesterday and they still look great. And smell lemony fresh too.

Dan
Old 05-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyducks View Post
Dan, my experience with the rock guards is to just use stainless steel appliance or grill cleaner (from anywhere like WalMart or Home Depot). Those rock guards (segment protectors) are stainless steel, not aluminum, and wax can look blotchy on them. Some people just use WD40. Russ
Ditto here. Wax doesn't work well at all.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #45
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dan, I hope you used Pledge on both sides of the segment protector, otherwise they will be unbalanced. You should have learned that in mechanical engineering school. The alternative is to attach Centramatics to them and remember not to stand on them either.

Re: the guy on the board in #41—I was in Paonia, Colo., today and watched 2 guys put extension ladders against a 2 story building. The paint was pealing on the bullding and needed scraping. They climbed about 20' up and installed on these rickety ladders two supports for a scaffold and then brought a 2 x 12 up the ladders and rested it on the supports. One support was sort of tied down, the other wasn't. I was waiting to see how they could get up on the board, but had to leave. Would they lower themselves from the roof? I couldn't imagine any other way. I imagine next week's newspaper will have a report on their injuries when they hit the sidewalk. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #46
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Re: the guy on the board in #41—I was in Paonia, Colo., today and watched 2 guys put extension ladders against a 2 story building. The paint was pealing on the bullding and needed scraping. They climbed about 20' up and installed on these rickety ladders two supports for a scaffold and then brought a 2 x 12 up the ladders and rested it on the supports. One support was sort of tied down, the other wasn't. I was waiting to see how they could get up on the board, but had to leave. Would they lower themselves from the roof? I couldn't imagine any other way. I imagine next week's newspaper will have a report on their injuries when they hit the sidewalk. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me.
Gravity… It's not just a good idea, it's the law. Serving as a fall protection coordinator for my District at the Corps of Engineers, that kind of thoughtless risk-taking like you describe is a pet peeve of mine. Can't even count the number of times I've heard, "I've been doing it this way for thirty years, and haven't fallen yet," as if being lucky is somehow the same as being safe.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Gravity… It's not just a good idea, it's the law. Serving as a fall protection coordinator for my District at the Corps of Engineers, that kind of thoughtless risk-taking like you describe is a pet peeve of mine. Can't even count the number of times I've heard, "I've been doing it this way for thirty years, and haven't fallen yet," as if being lucky is somehow the same as being safe.
It's important to remember to tie a safety rope around your neck in case you fall.

I agree, it's amazing what people will do sometimes. I remember watching a guy work under a car supported by its bumper jack. He came over to me to talk and I mentioned that it wasn't safe. His reply was something to the effect of "It's OK, I've had cars fall on me twice already."
Old 05-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #48
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Had one look at the title and then the name of the OP and knew this would be good one. No disappointments.

Guess you all don't want to know that I laid a pair of pressure treated 2"x10"x10' ends on the Dodge tailgate a few months back, and then the other ends over the front endcap to slide my new 96# A/C unit up to the Silver Streak roof with the Armstrong winch. And then the old one down the same way. My one worry was a slip and hitting the propane bottles, cover or not, and finding a spark inside it all.

Bluto is our All-American safety observer with his quiet crack above, ha!

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #49
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Would they lower themselves from the roof?
More to the point, did they scamper?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Rednax, thank you for recognizing my wit. You are very perceptive.Good job with the 2x10's.
Gene, my rock guards are fine, thanks to the advice i received on this thread. Engineering school did not cover this topic. I expect you are taking good care of Brian. I hope I don't have to voice my concerns to PETA.
Bluto, you have a job as Field Safety Coordinator for PPP.

Dan
Old 05-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Protagonist, You're getting preachy again. No one likes to see work being performed in an unsafe manner and professionally I have taken more OSHA classes than I care to remember. I certainly hope no one took my experience with my LP cover as advice to do the same.
Safety in the construction industry is promoted and has sometimes eclipsed productivity in it's importance. This is a good thing. And, as you say the law. Bonding and insurance companies and even some general contractors I used to work with made this their number one priority. Safety in the workplace is becoming a culture. Companies with unacceptable safety records are quickly going out of business.

Dan
Old 05-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #52
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Protagonist, You're getting preachy again.
Oops! Apologies. Keep reminding me if/when it happens again.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
LMAO ... I should have read this yesterday before I "laddered" up on top of the FC to put on a MaxxAir Fan mate. As for scaffolding - the multi segmented ladder would work well, too. It is a bit short for working on top of the roof of the FC, however.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote