Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
Stabilizer jacks down while I hitched up

So today I raised up the hitch to hitch up and them realized the stabilizers were still down! I lowered it again right away but now the stabilizer rod that I turn to raise and lower the bars is closer to the bottom of the airstream than it was previously. This is the same on both the rear ones. It is not touching and turns fine but did I bend something such as the frame by doing this? I feel like an fool that I forgot to raise them!

Thanks!
Thomas_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You aren't the first and won't be the last.
I would check the mounting bolts to make sure they are secure.
Chances are you twisted the outboard portion up and above the inside mounting point. As long as you have not wrinkled the shell. I would not be too concerned.
Think of it this way. You don't have to bend over as far now to crank them down.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wethersfield , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
You aren't the first and won't be the last. I would check the mounting bolts to make sure they are secure. Chances are you twisted the outboard portion up and above the inside mounting point. As long as you have not wrinkled the shell. I would not be too concerned. Think of it this way. You don't have to bend over as far now to crank them down.
Thank you so much.

I am taking it to the dealer for a few warranty items in a few days. If I mention this do you think they can rotate them back or should I just let it go and move on?

The outer shell seems fine though.
Thomas_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Just be careful they don't charge you for something you don't need.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
I did the same thing. Crawled under there, took them off. Went back into my shop, put them in a vise, and bent them back into perfect shape. Lubricated them, and reinstalled. Not hard. Made me feel better.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I replaced a stabilizer the PO left down and bent so badly it no longer touched ground when lowered. Cost $85 + shipping. So $85 X 2 = $170 lesson learned.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Do what Silver Otter did - or go on the internet and buy new for less money than the dealer would charge. On a 1 to 10 scale of difficulty changing them is probably less than a 1.

Paula
Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
The one thing I would check is the fit of the door, both alignment and gap all around. I may or may not have done the same thing and it seemed that the gap at the bottom of the door (on the edge where it meets the trailer body away from the hinge) was larger than the gap at the top. It's possible for a dealer to re-torque the door but I had mine done when in was at the Mothership for maintenance.

Good luck!

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote