Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
alamo , California
Stabilizer jacks, batteries, quality

Hi All,
Just wondering how many others have experienced problems with factory installed stabilizer jacks on a 2016 19' FC? The two front failed, the thread has stripped, had two replaced - which they refused to cover under warranty - now those are starting to fail again! The back two are also experiencing the same problem and need to be replaced. Seems like a very poor product, which at the very least should be covered under a warranty?

We also had the batteries fail just after one year, and again had to replace on our own as well.

Seems like AS is installing a lot of sub-par products on trailers, still charging top dollar for the name brand and then providing zero customer service?

The out of pocket repair costs for failed products then support the local AS dealer service center.
It's starting to look fairly fraudulent all the way around - thoughts?
TravnVik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
We have a 2018 FC 19 and our friends have a 2017. Neither of us have had any issues with the stabilizers. If the threads on your stabilizers are stripping I'm inclined to think you might be cranking them down too hard. They are only meant to stabilize not level the trailer. When we put ours down we stop as soon as they are firmly on the ground. I can't imagine how that could ever strip the treads.

As for the batteries I'd be hesitant to blame that on Airstream. Many dealers leave units sitting on their lot without proper battery maintenance so that by the time someone buys the unit the batteries are damaged. The more reputable dealers will put brand new ones in at the time of purchase. Did you happen to check the date code when you bought yours?

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
alamo , California
Hi Dale & Jane,
Thanks for responding yes on the stabilizers with minimal cranking, just to the ground and that's it. i do agree with the battery issue - yes, the dealer should have checked and replaced. We were dry camping, lost all power,
took them to an auto parts store - they checked the code and told us the batteries were 10 years old. I wrote to AS, and sent pics - no reimbursement.
TravnVik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:54 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravnVik View Post
Hi Dale & Jane,
Thanks for responding yes on the stabilizers with minimal cranking, just to the ground and that's it. i do agree with the battery issue - yes, the dealer should have checked and replaced. We were dry camping, lost all power,
took them to an auto parts store - they checked the code and told us the batteries were 10 years old. I wrote to AS, and sent pics - no reimbursement.
Airstream doesn't keep a stock of ten year old batteries to install in new trailers.

You've had this trailer since 2016, and you're just now getting around to telling us about this? And if the only things ever to go bad in the last four years are somehow two pairs of stabilizers and a pair of batteries that usually only last 2 years, maybe three, is pretty good. I wish my vehicles did as well.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #5
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravnVik View Post
Hi All,
Just wondering how many others have experienced problems with factory installed stabilizer jacks on a 2016 19' FC? The two front failed, the thread has stripped, had two replaced - which they refused to cover under warranty - now those are starting to fail again! The back two are also experiencing the same problem and need to be replaced. Seems like a very poor product, which at the very least should be covered under a warranty?

We also had the batteries fail just after one year, and again had to replace on our own as well.

Seems like AS is installing a lot of sub-par products on trailers, still charging top dollar for the name brand and then providing zero customer service?

The out of pocket repair costs for failed products then support the local AS dealer service center.
It's starting to look fairly fraudulent all the way around - thoughts?
Hi TravnVik,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.*
Old 11-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
Seems strange about the jacks (unless you are putting some real weight on them) as the ones on my 43 Argosy are in great condition (minus one I had to get straighten out due to something the PO did).

John
strangepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Wichita Falls , TX
stabilizer jacks

I lubricate my jack screws before each trip. Might help!
ga adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:32 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We have seen no problems at all with our stabilizers. They are from a similar era as the OP's. ( one year newer). It is indeed pretty easy to over crank them .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #9
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
+1 with ga adkins .... lubricate, lubricate it's called maintenance - lubricate all exterior moving parts (steps, hitch, bumper storage hatch, etc.) a couple times a year at least. The stabilizers collect all the road crude - we rinse them off and lub after each boondock. Our AS is 17 years old and no problems...(PS we also use a electric drill)
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I occasionally oil my stabilizers along with the steps to keep them moving smoothly up and down; and especially after the AS is washed. However, from day one, I've had one stabilizer (closest to door) that is always "cranky" and no amount of lubrication seems to help.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
We've had no problems with the stabilizers on our 19 (2017 edition).

I sprayed some lube on them once.

Our batteries died right away, on first trip. Got a new set from Interstate under warranty.

But ours were not 10 years old.

Is it possible someone did a battery swap at the dealer?
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Monroe , Washington
Batteries

I have a Flying Cloud 2016 had battery problems until i changed the power converter to a multistage converter i used a PD4655 a 55 amp power converter and the problem was solved. Airstream used until recently a one stage power converter which fried the Batteries unless you maintained the fluid level every 2 weeks
Peny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My stabilizers have never touched the ground. I guess I'm immune to movement.
I tried to negotiate new batteries and the dealer said, "You will take delivery with two fully charged batteries." (I had already cajoled Good Year Endurance on a 2017. I guess I used up my good will.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Our batteries failed a few months past the warranty. When we bought the trailer the dealer said the batteries would last for at least 5 years.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech View Post
Our batteries failed a few months past the warranty. When we bought the trailer the dealer said the batteries would last for at least 5 years.
The batteries in our trailer are five years old, and still good. That is highly atypical, I was expecting to have to replace them after no more than three years.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
If you don't clean and lubricate the jacks you will have a problem. I pressure wash mine and then give them a good spray of Schaeffers "Penetrol 90" every couple of months, or if in dusty gravel roads more often. Batteries need to be looked after, checked and topped up on a monthly basis. Also, a multi stage charger changeover is a must!! The charger is cheaper than new batteries. Mine are 5 years old, load test fine, as I check them with a load tester myself (Harbour Freight item $19.99). JMHO from years of owning an Airstream.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
We have a 2018 FC 19 and our friends have a 2017. Neither of us have had any issues with the stabilizers. If the threads on your stabilizers are stripping I'm inclined to think you might be cranking them down too hard. They are only meant to stabilize not level the trailer. When we put ours down we stop as soon as they are firmly on the ground. I can't imagine how that could ever strip the treads.

As for the batteries I'd be hesitant to blame that on Airstream. Many dealers leave units sitting on their lot without proper battery maintenance so that by the time someone buys the unit the batteries are damaged. The more reputable dealers will put brand new ones in at the time of purchase. Did you happen to check the date code when you bought yours?
We are on our third Airstream since 2012 and never had an issue with stabilizers. The original batteries in our current 30' Classic are 3 years old and still going strong. I tested them this morning.
With 3 trailers , all bought new we had our share of warranty issues and all were taken care of no questions asked 100 percent to our satisfaction. Matter of fact they replaced a fresh water tank on the previous trailer that was out of warranty since it developed a leak due to faulty installation.
All warranty work and damage repair was done at the factory service center.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
The one!

And I though it was just me that had the one evil cranky Jack. Some must have a slight bend in them. I've lubed the heck out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I occasionally oil my stabilizers along with the steps to keep them moving smoothly up and down; and especially after the AS is washed. However, from day one, I've had one stabilizer (closest to door) that is always "cranky" and no amount of lubrication seems to help.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Our stabilizers are 50 years old. We never crank them down past "snug", wash them once per year and lube with dry lubricant of some kind like graphite or molybdenum disulfide. Wet lube like oil or grease attracts dirt. We seldom boon dock but often camp in unpaved or graveled RV parks. I do put a wooden pad under each one.

BTW i assisted a newbie once who's door was stuck shut and found that he was trying to level with the stabilizers and couldn't understand why they were so hard to crank. Taking the pressure off corrected both problems.

'
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I sprayed the wrong stuff on my stabilizers once and they all went cranky. Had to wash, rinse dry and reapply twice to correct.