Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Hensley , Arkansas
Somewhat of an emergency- Stuck in Airstream!

Hello, I've been stuck in my 1971 31' Airstream for the past 6 hours. I'm up in Northwest Arkansas where we had all the ice storms, so none of my friends can come and get me out of this thing until the trees are cleared out of the road and things melt a bit.

Anyhow, the door seemed to freeze shut, and I couldn't get my Airstream door to open. The door handle gave a lot of resistance at first, then the door handle moved up, and now it gives NO resistance at all, just seemingly loose. (Normally you feel some spring tension.)

At any rate, I need to get out of here so I can swap my propane tanks so I don't freeze. If things get *REALLY* bad, I will cut the screen on one of the windows and crawl through, but I don't want to damage anything if I don't have to.

I looked at removing the screens, and I have a phillips head to unscrew all the parts, except for the part where you lift the window, there is the little handle. That has to come off, and I don't have a screwdriver small enough inside my Airstream trailer to unscrew it.

There doesn't seem to be any way to access the lock mechanism from inside the Airstream. I'm pretty sure it's the lock/latch mechanism, as the door offers no resistance on other parts, except where the latch is. (Door bends out in other areas when pressure is applied.)

Also, I am off-grid, so I do not have access to 110v power, I run off of 12v power via solar panels (even if I did, I suspect it would be offline due to the downed power lines and trees,) and I have a small amount of propane left in a small catalytic heater. (Enough for probably 30 minutes or so, I suspect.) I still have propane for cooking, at least until that tank runs out, as I've been running on one tank for a while, and it was low last time I could check it.

Help!

Much thanks in advance. I will check by here every hour or so.

Also, apologies for posting in such a broad area. Moderators, please move this to an appropriate area after a day or so has passed if it is necessary.

Thanks,
Durandal
Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
Hello, I've been stuck in my 1971 31' Airstream for the past 6 hours. I'm up in Northwest Arkansas where we had all the ice storms, so none of my friends can come and get me out of this thing until the trees are cleared out of the road and things melt a bit.

Anyhow, the door seemed to freeze shut, and I couldn't get my Airstream door to open. The door handle gave a lot of resistance at first, then the door handle moved up, and now it gives NO resistance at all, just seemingly loose. (Normally you feel some spring tension.)

At any rate, I need to get out of here so I can swap my propane tanks so I don't freeze. If things get *REALLY* bad, I will cut the screen on one of the windows and crawl through, but I don't want to damage anything if I don't have to.

I looked at removing the screens, and I have a phillips head to unscrew all the parts, except for the part where you lift the window, there is the little handle. That has to come off, and I don't have a screwdriver small enough inside my Airstream trailer to unscrew it.

There doesn't seem to be any way to access the lock mechanism from inside the Airstream. I'm pretty sure it's the lock/latch mechanism, as the door offers no resistance on other parts, except where the latch is. (Door bends out in other areas when pressure is applied.)

Also, I am off-grid, so I do not have access to 110v power, I run off of 12v power via solar panels (even if I did, I suspect it would be offline due to the downed power lines and trees,) and I have a small amount of propane left in a small catalytic heater. (Enough for probably 30 minutes or so, I suspect.) I still have propane for cooking, at least until that tank runs out, as I've been running on one tank for a while, and it was low last time I could check it.

Help!

Much thanks in advance. I will check by here every hour or so.

Also, apologies for posting in such a broad area. Moderators, please move this to an appropriate area after a day or so has passed if it is necessary.

Thanks,
Durandal
It sounds like the inner part of the lock is broken, which is not uncommon.

You don't need any tools to get out of the trailer.

Locate the "bead" that holds the screening in place. It's gray in color.

Pull it away from the screen material. Then simply move the screening out of place, open the window and try the door from the outside.

If not, climb thru the open window.

OR, just push the screen material out, then try the door lock.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That's terrible do you have gps coordinates, or can you call the police or a lock service?

My husband is towing today it was dicey through Lansing Michigan but as he is getting nearer to Indiana the roads are getting better.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
What kind of lock does you 71 have? I have been trapped inside my Trade Wind when the Bargman broke, but it's a 67. Where in Northwest Arkansas are you. Hensley is close to where I live and still in Pulaski County.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Rear Window should be an exit..

The back window is usually an emergency exit, designed as second escape route. As Andy said, you don't need to cut screen if you pull gray cord or beading (about 1/8th inch in diameter, running in groove around edge of screen), and then remove screen. That back window may have ice holding it down also, but it should be large enough to get through and get out...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Hensley , Arkansas
Andy,

I will try the screen "bead" suggestion you gave. I will follow up after I've attempted it.

Carol,
Well, if necessary, I can crawl out the window and then hop in my Subaru, and hopefully with Andy's suggestion, I'll be OK.

Vaughan,
Hensley is my mailing address, but I'm actually up near Fayetteville, AR. (Patrick, AR to be more precise.)

I will try the screen suggestion and post back soon. Thanks for the prompt replies, everyone.

Took a photo of the lock with my cellphone. Will upload as soon as I can.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Man, that sucks! I was frozen in mine yesterday from the same storm. The handle worked but I had to put some force on the door to get it open. Good luck!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Best of luck!!! I only live about 12 miles from Hensley, so i could have been some help if you were there.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Hensley , Arkansas
I'm Free!

I climbed out the back window using Andy's suggestion. Now I just have to figure out how to fix the door latch well enough to where I can close it and not have to climb out the window again for exit. (Although it's not too bad.)

Thanks for everybody's expedient replies! I didn't figure that I could remove the screen without cutting it.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Hensley , Arkansas
Now that I'm out, I was able to switch propane tanks so I don't freeze tonight, and also fired up my car with jumper cables to charge up the Airstream's batteries. (I know it's not good to use an alternator on deep cycle batteries too often.) Anyhow, I suppose there are topics on here how to repair the latch so that it works from the inside and not just the outside. Once again, thanks for the prompt responses. I wish everyone well.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
So glad that all ended well! Now I don't have to feel guilty about having my first real laugh of the day ... now, back to shoveling snow ...
Old 01-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
I climbed out the back window using Andy's suggestion. Now I just have to figure out how to fix the door latch well enough to where I can close it and not have to climb out the window again for exit. (Although it's not too bad.)

Thanks for everybody's expedient replies! I didn't figure that I could remove the screen without cutting it.
Glad you are free, that was quite a problem!! Hope you get the door to work. I had a Pinto once that I had to crawl in and and out of the back hatch, once the doors stopped working...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Stay warm!
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Carol, Can't believe you had a Pinto. My sister had one in 1972 and she parked under some pine trees in Charlotte and got so may roaches in it we had to put a bug bomb in it. LOL
So glad you got out-that was really tense for awhile.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Thank God for your computer !!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Hensley , Arkansas
Well, after removing the latch assembly with much trouble, I discovered there is a small roll-pin that moves the latch bolt out of the door frame. Once I can find a suitable replacement for this, I can put it back in place.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I had a Nissan in college that had doors that you could only lock with the key. I came out one day to get in a hurry and grabbed the handle and pulled up real quick...the door was locked and I bent the push rod that operated the latch from the outside handle and it would no longer open the door from the outside. I could exit from the driver's side, but had to enter from the passenger side. Well, wouldn't you know it. One day I stopped to check my mail and left the motor running. When I returned I found that the passenger door was locked, the driver's door was "locked" and the motor was running. I had to call the police to come out with one of those "doo-hickeys" and open the door. It took 30 minutes for the officer to arrive and another 20 to get the door open. As soon as I got home (two minutes) I took the door apart figured out what was bent, took a hammer to it and straightened it out. I'm probably the only person to lock his keys inside a car with doors that couldn't be locked without the keys!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty3TW4US View Post
Thank God for your computer !!
I'M not gonna laugh.. but that's RIGHT.. thank GOD for the computer plus thank GOD for all of the friends here on the forums.. where else could you get frozen in a vintage trailer with no escape and get help within the minute?

Happy trails :-)
Old 01-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This reminds me of a neighbor who had a '70's Ford econobox back around 1980. The temp had gone to somewhere around -33˚ that morning and she tried to open the door. The handle was so brittle at that temp it just broke off in her hand. The look of surprise on her face as she held the handle and just pondered it was wonderful to see. I always wondered if the handle was made of pot metal.

Then there was the girlfriend back in the '70's when I lived in western NY. Another ice storm overnight. She couldn't get the door on her '60's Ford Fairlane unlocked and I heard a banging outside. She was kicking the handle as if that would defrost the lock; I couldn't hear the language through the storm windows, but knowing her, it was vivid. She was angry and limber enough to kick that high!. I thought the heat she was generating might melt the ice. That's when I opened the front door and suggested we heat the key; that worked and she went off to teach kids another day. If they could have seen and heard their teacher losing it!

This says something about old Fords.

Durandal, glad to hear you got out. Another plus mark for the Forum. As summerkid said, now I can laugh. It might take you a little longer.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Hensley , Arkansas
Well, once I find out where to purchase a replacement roll pin, I'll be able to laugh about it. Thankfully the real estate auction I originally was going to miss was postponed, as everybody else was having a difficult time leaving home. I have to drive in tomorrow and find out when it was postponed to.