Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Portland , Oregon
sniffing propane?

I noticed the smell of propane on the outside of the oven vent. After turning off the propane and waiting an hour, I turned on propane and the burners worked fine. There was never a smell of propane inside. Now, the next day, there is still no smell of propane inside, but a slight smell outside when I put my nose close to the vent. I also notice the same slight scent by the vent of the water heater.

Question: Is a slight scent of propane on the outside normal?

Thanks a million.
moj-retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by moj-retired View Post
I noticed the smell of propane on the outside of the oven vent. After turning off the propane and waiting an hour, I turned on propane and the burners worked fine. There was never a smell of propane inside. Now, the next day, there is still no smell of propane inside, but a slight smell outside when I put my nose close to the vent. I also notice the same slight scent by the vent of the water heater.

Question: Is a slight scent of propane on the outside normal?

Thanks a million.
Burning propane still smells like propane, so if the flame is vented to outside, you'll smell it, if you've got a nose that's sensitive enough. My nose isn't sensitive enough anymore, thanks to smoking for half my adult life.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
If your propane is not completely combusted in your oven, you may have a residual smell. Technically, mercaptans are added to propane to give it the characteristic odor. They are picked up by sensitive people at a tiny fraction of a part per million and by others at much higher levels.

I would be much more concerned about the amount of propane, if any, in your trailer. You do have a propane detector -- mounted low -- don't you?
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #4

Portland , Oregon
thanks. Yes we have a propane detector inside and we have not smelled it in the trailer, only outside.
moj-retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Durango , Colorado
Please get some soapy water and spray the propane lines where they are exposed below your unit to inspect for bubbles = leaks.

wry
awryawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Raleigh , North Carolina
As propane tanks get low the smell that is added to propane gets more pungent. If your tanks are low it could cause the smell. You can pour hot water on your tanks to see how full they are.
BoCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
You could be getting low on propane. I almost always smell propane just before the tank runs out. I run one tank at a time, so this would be the time I check the capacity of the active tank, and if low, switch over to the full tank and take the empty tank in to get filled. I apply my 6th sense to determine how empty the tank is.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I noticed a distinct propane odor when one of my propane tanks was close to empty. I guess the oderant that is added to the propane settles in the tank.
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
It is normal to smell the propane odor when the tank gets low. I always get a day's notice that I'll need to refill.

Besides that, once I did have a defective regulator, and I smelled propane near the tanks. The regulator was replaced and the smell vanished.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote