Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Jackson Heights , New York
Small Restoration Company Thread Referral

Hey folks..

The time has come for a complete overhaul of my 68 Caravel. Doing the restoration myself is out of the question due to work and other factors.

In the past I have seen several threads with various restoration companies throughout the US with brief comments on them.

After spending several hours searching unsuccessfully I am hoping those of you who are more savvy with this website may be able to link me to some of the threads out there.

A little bit more about my expectations and needs...
1. hoping for a small company with personalized service
2. Looking for a basic restoration. I do not need the trailer to be magazine ready...just safe, clean and functional.

The work would be shell off and the extensive. From reading other threads I understand the approximate expense.

I am happy to bring the trailer anywhere in the lower 48 states for the right restorer.

Sending me a private message regarding an opinion or restorer is most welcomed.

Links to other threads would be great.

Thanks for reading and your input.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Eugene,
You might have some controversy with folks recommending anyone, but I've made a bunch of phone calls and worked on a few small and large projects with the following folks. After all I'm into supporting these small businesses in today's time.

For the East Coast region I can only share my thoughts of real friendly discussion with whom I've had the pleasure of contacting and working with.

My only relationship with any of these companies, is as a consumer and customer.

For frame up, you have some great options up in the NY area with Colin Hyde there. His link https://sites.google.com/a/colinhyde...ions.com/home/

and to the South in Raleigh NC Capital City Customs with Dan Matthews who does a lot of fabrication for that specific project. Both have a real good rep and listen to the customer. capitalcitycustomsinc.com

I'm sure that they can provide you some input to what they can and cannot do, based on their schedule. They keep busy, which is a very good indicator.

For the last three years I have had lots of work done at Out of Doors Mart in Colfax NC. Panel replacement, fans, radio's, vents, covers, floor installation, new complete awnings, AC, axles, bath, new beds, and complete rear plumbing to include upgrade for a grey tank. Great work over the winter months that allowed us to use it every weekend for seven months this last season alone. The personal service with this team has been awesome and they work with me, based on my budget and when would be the smartest time to do a few projects to save a few dollars.

Don't know what you are looking for, but there are some real good options out there.

You can find other restorers to include Colin advertised in Airstream Life magazine as well. I'd recommend buying the complete series, if still available. The Airstream Life previous issues have have allot of great ideas, completed projects, contacts and lessons learned on how to avoid major expenses and repairs on older original Airstreams up to today's latest models available through Airstream. Rich has done a superb job w/in the AS community on capturing not only history, but the right folks to help everyone. He knows the community and Airstreams.

Just my recommended thoughts based on who I have worked with over many years.

Have fun, take your time and as many of us have found out, it only takes time, patience and of course money.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Restorers you'd recommend

Eugene,

Colin is very good at his craft.

Check out Frank's Trailer Works in Baltimore. Frank is well known here and many other places.

If you're serious about all 48 states, look up Uwe Salwender who owns Area 63 Productions in Orange, CA.

Have dealt with ODM and find them to be a pretty good supplier. Dan Brown, formerly at ODM, has developed a trade in LED lighting with some very good products.

Best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
I'm in Portland OR and am currently buying a 1959 Tradewind in WV.
If I just want to get it "road worthy" to tow it home, what is my closest option?

I wan to do the interior restoration myself, just need to get it safe.
Anyone know if any restoration companies in Chicago area? How about along the route from WV to The west coast...

Has anyone used Pete Snyder in Nevada City CA? his website does not display correctly on my MAC.

Thanks!
donna4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Need restorer, too, closer to Portland OR..

I am buying a Tradewind in WV, would like a reccomendation for
a restorer that can get it "road worthy" so that I can get it to Portland, OR.
Is there anyone in the west that anyone would recommend?
thanks,
Donna
Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
P&S Trailer Service - Airstream Restoration and Refinishing
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Anyone have a restorer near Chicago area that you'd recommend?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Small Restoration Company Thread Referral

Greetings donna4boys!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna4boys View Post
Anyone have a restorer near Chicago area that you'd recommend?

While not specifically an Airstream restoration company, Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa (about 250 miles from the West side of Chicago) did much of the running gear restoration on both of my trailers. The jobs that they completed for me included:
  • 1964 Airstream Overlander Land Yacht International
    • New Air Conditioner and New Furnace
    • New Water Heater
    • New Zip Dee patio awning and 2 window awnings
    • Repaired rear end separation
    • Installed New Shocks
    • New Television Antenna
    • New 3-Way Dometic Refrigerator
    • New 120-Volt AC entrance
    • New door lock and deadbolt
    • Repaired/Replaced Outriggers and Banana Wrap
  • 1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
    • New Air Conditioner
    • New Water Heater
    • New Power Converter
    • New Axle, Brakes, and Shocks
Ace Fogdall RV was a long-time Airstream dealer (1959 through about 2006), and since dropping their Airstream franchise, it is my understanding that they have remained an Airstream Authorized Service Center. In my experience, they are very vintage friendly, but they will likely have a time crunch this time of year as it is their busy season (they did most of my restoration work during the winter when things were slower). Ace Fogdall RV is located just off of US 20 on the outskirts of Cedar Falls, Iowa.

I would also second the suggestion of P and S Trailer Service in Helena, Ohio. They did beautiful work on the exterior of my Overlander . . . polished her to an original sheen followed with an application of Plasticoat that has kept her looking good for close to a decade. P and S Trailer Service has branched out into much more extensive restoration services since I had them work on my Overlander, but the one thing that everyone who deals with them seems to express is that you get excellent quality and a high standard of workmanship from them on any job. Your route would probably take you within a few miles of P and S Trailer Service from West Virginia heading toward Chicago.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Jackson Heights , New York
Well I had my trailer beautifully restored a few years back. It looks great for sure. Thanks to all who posted here, very helpful.

Unfortunately, after a mishap I ended up with a soft floor. Seems someone wanted to get into my trailer and caused some door damage, creating a pathway for water, thus some subfloor damage. About a 4 square foot area.

Anyways, one of the referrals on this link did a great job on the restoration, we couldn't be happier, but no longer services Airstreams. So if anyone can provide a referral it would be greatly appreciated.
I am in northeast, but anywhere in the lower 48 works.

Thanks again all.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote