Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
Slo-Blow Fuse Holder Short?

Could the slo-blow fuse holder be causing the fuses to blow in our tongue jack?

On our last trip we were exiting a parking lot that had a divot between sidewalk and road and heard a couple scrapes, presumably something in front, then something in rear.
Upon arriving at our campsite tongue jack wasn't working--we found the slo-blow fuse in two pieces. We hand cranked to set up, purchased new fuses, and jack worked to get us home. Unhitching at home it blew again.

Just replaced it and it blew before I even did anything with jack. Upon inspecting fuse holder there it a black burn mark on the inside. Could it be the fuse holder itself causing the problem if it had sustained trauma? Or should I be looking for some other problem?

Meg
orange kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sounds like you may have shorted out some wiring underneath your trailer by scraping it on the ground when you heard that grinding.

Get under the trailer with a flashlight and a screwdriver, and poke around while looking at it intently.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
Thank you, Aage. I did check that--nothing obvious to me (doesn't mean it couldn't still be the case, tho!) The low points seem to be the foot of the tongue jack and the battery box.
I'd been thinking either the foot hit and causes a jump in the timing, causing a short, or the foot may have sustained a minor bend but enough to cause increased load on motor.
I guess wishful thinking that when the original fuse broke it cut in to fuse holder and that was creating short.
orange kayak is offline   Reply With Quote