Old 08-08-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
Slide out pantry won’t stay closed

When we parked our 2020 Globetrotter after a day of driving, I was surprised to find that the slideout (pullout) pantry drawer had, well, slid out and was open.

This is the tall cabinet with a spring-loaded button to open. After closing the drawer, I found that it could be pulled open without pushing the button.

When I looked at the button latch, it appears that it doesn’t quite reach the metal tab that is supposed to keep it from opening without the button being pushed in.

I wonder if anyone here has experienced this issue and can suggest a fix?

Thanks, as usual.

Mike

mkaiseraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #2

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Easton , Pennsylvania
Has the slide-out jumped out of its rails?

Hi, Mike,

Are you sure that the slide-out hasn't jumped off of its rails, as sliding shower doors sometimes do? If it has, this would make it hard for the latch to engage the tab on the frame.

Cheers!

Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaiseraz View Post
When we parked our 2020 Globetrotter after a day of driving, I was surprised to find that the slideout (pullout) pantry drawer had, well, slid out and was open.

This is the tall cabinet with a spring-loaded button to open. After closing the drawer, I found that it could be pulled open without pushing the button.

When I looked at the button latch, it appears that it doesn’t quite reach the metal tab that is supposed to keep it from opening without the button being pushed in.

Thanks, as usual.

Mike

Chuck H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
Hi, Mike,

Are you sure that the slide-out hasn't jumped off of its rails, as sliding shower doors sometimes do? If it has, this would make it hard for the latch to engage the tab on the frame.

Cheers!

Chuck
Good question. Yes, I checked. The drawer slides easily and I can see it’s still in the rails.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
After reading your post I had to check my pantry door. AND my pantry latch wouldn't catch on the strike either. I could just pull it open.

What I discovered was that the latch assembly, which is in two pieces that thread together, had loosened enough that the latch rotated to where it no longer engaged the strike.

By turning the interior latch piece clockwise I was able to tighten it into the correct position for the latch to catch the strike.

Good as new. Well, maybe. We blame this on our trip to Chaco National Cultural Park in New Mexico--worst washboard ever.

If you don't find this to be the solution, has something fallen in the pantry space that prevents the pantry rack from sliding all the way in?

Burnside Bob

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks, BB. I’ll have a look and see of the latch screw-in has loosened. Interesting observation.

Mike
Old 08-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
For a bit of Extra Insurance, we started using this tape on the 3 pantry doors and the medicine cabinet mirror. Works great. Easy to hand-tear. Leaves no residue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaiseraz View Post

Thanks, as usual.

Mike
I had this problem and the microwave fell to the floor and broke. It was covered under warranty but they didn't fix the slide drawer. I found that the latch catch needed a small spacer between it and the wood to catch the latch better. I think I used a few layers of duct tape as a spacer and it worked like a charm.
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks to EricF and Piggy Bank. Both offer good advice.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Suggestion 1. Why doesn't the latch latch? Is there some adjustment in the latch? Does the screw slots allow some more adjusting so the catch catches?

Suggestion 2. I heard how the microwave drawer in my unit could come open, so I made a prop consisting of a wood dowel with white rubber tips on each end.
It goes between the drawer and the opposing wall, about 26". I only use it while underway. (It works so well I have one to keep the microwave open. If I'm slightly off level the microwave drawer wants to close and that shuts off the power.)
Your floorplan might not allow this since the fridge(?) is across from the pantry.

Suggestion 3. A backup. A travel latch of some kind. Even the hidden spring latch like we have on some cabinets. A 10lb latch is pretty stout to pull open.
Don't just slap on some hardware store bolt and ruin the esthetics.

Suggestion 4. Magnets. Amazon sells some very strong magnets. Perhaps mount a metal bracket inside the cabinet and a magnet on the door, so when closed they meet!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #10
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Insurance

We’ve had this problem ‘off and on’ enough times over the years that we now use an adjustable shower rod that wedges between the closet door across the hallway and the pantry door. Works like a charm.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:13 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
Good suggestions. My COMMENTS are below . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Suggestion 1. Why doesn't the latch latch? Is there some adjustment in the latch? Does the screw slots allow some more adjusting so the catch catches?

MY COMMENT: No adjustments per se, but as someone else suggested, I could look into putting a spacer and longer screws--to lower the plate the latch is supposed to grab onto.

Suggestion 2. I heard how the microwave drawer in my unit could come open, so I made a prop consisting of a wood dowel with white rubber tips on each end.
It goes between the drawer and the opposing wall, about 26". I only use it while underway. (It works so well I have one to keep the microwave open. If I'm slightly off level the microwave drawer wants to close and that shuts off the power.)
Your floorplan might not allow this since the fridge(?) is across from the pantry.

MY COMMENT: Yeah, the drawer/pantry I'm talking about is the same one your microwave is on. We chose the option where the microwave is under the cooktop, to give us more storage in the pantry. A dowell, or spring-loaded shower curtain rod, like someone else suggested, could be used to keep the drawer closed during transit.

Suggestion 3. A backup. A travel latch of some kind. Even the hidden spring latch like we have on some cabinets. A 10lb latch is pretty stout to pull open.
Don't just slap on some hardware store bolt and ruin the esthetics.

MY COMMENT: Not sure what kind of latch you're referring to.

Suggestion 4. Magnets. Amazon sells some very strong magnets. Perhaps mount a metal bracket inside the cabinet and a magnet on the door, so when closed they meet!

MY COMMENT: I like it. Might look into this one, too. Thank you.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post
We’ve had this problem ‘off and on’ enough times over the years that we now use an adjustable shower rod that wedges between the closet door across the hallway and the pantry door. Works like a charm.
Good thinking. Thank you.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2756.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	375358Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2755.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	375359
Josephine517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephine517 View Post
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2754.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	375360

My fix. Wedges to lock the drawer in place as it closes. Allows the latch to hold. Also added another locking latch for added security. Haven’t had a problem with the pantry since.
Josephine517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:36 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
Nicely done, Josephine517. And thanks for the photos.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Dorset , Vermont
We had the same problem with our 2020 globetrotter… the cause was the pantry door would bow especially during humid weather so it couldn’t close properly. Oddly without humidity the door was fine. We took a picture of the bowed door and our dealer worked with airstream and they sent/installed a replacement door. It has been fine ever since.
226TuckL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 226TuckL View Post
We had the same problem with our 2020 globetrotter… the cause was the pantry door would bow especially during humid weather so it couldn’t close properly. Oddly without humidity the door was fine. We took a picture of the bowed door and our dealer worked with airstream and they sent/installed a replacement door. It has been fine ever since.
Thanks, 226TuckL. I'll have a side look at our door. If that's the problem, I'll take a photo and see how we make out. Worst case, I'll ask you to send us your photo.

Mike