Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bluffton , South Carolina
Shurflo Fan Vent..Can just motor be replaced?

We have a Shurflo vent/fan in our Bambi. Bought the trailer in March when it was about a year old. Anyway, probably left the fan running too long for ventilation here at home. Next time I turned it on, it wouldn't run full speed. The NEXT time, it wouldn't run at all. I really like the fan...very quiet and powerful. My question is, do I have to replace the whole thing, or can just the motor be replaced? Thanks!
Mtnlvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Never used the Shuflo fan but I know you can get parts for their pumps so it would be likely you can also get fan parts.

You might see if you can dribble a little WD40 around the shaft and try turning by hand a bit. At the point you have nothing to lose.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Thanks! I'll try it.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Not sure about the Shurflo, but with the Fantastic fan there is a small contact switch that engages/disengages the fan motor when the dome is opened/closed. This switch is just like the ones used to open the lights in your car when the door is opened. The contacts can get dirty, and this would cause the fan motor to slow down.

Another thing we discovered was that the fan motor hum is the same as that of wasps, and they seem to be attracted to the fan. I can be camped in the middle of the Sonora Desert with no sign of life yet I'll have a half-dozen dead wasps on the fan screen.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Not sure about the Shurflo, but with the Fantastic fan there is a small contact switch that engages/disengages the fan motor when the dome is opened/closed. This switch is just like the ones used to open the lights in your car when the door is opened. The contacts can get dirty, and this would cause the fan motor to slow down.

Another thing we discovered was that the fan motor hum is the same as that of wasps, and they seem to be attracted to the fan. I can be camped in the middle of the Sonora Desert with no sign of life yet I'll have a half-dozen dead wasps on the fan screen.
This fan doesn't have the contact switch, although before we bought ours, we looked at a 19' that had that feature. The more I've read about the Shurflo, the more discouraged I get. MANY people have experienced problems with the motor and have replaced it, only to have it stop working a few weeks later. One post I read said even the person he talked to at the company admitted the problem is the part is really cheap...made in China. I'll try calling Shurflo and see if they will send me one. They've apparently done this at no charge for others since they haven't lasted very long at all. Thank you so much for your help. And oh....YIKES about the wasps! A phobia of mine.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Never used the Shuflo fan but I know you can get parts for their pumps so it would be likely you can also get fan parts.

You might see if you can dribble a little WD40 around the shaft and try turning by hand a bit. At the point you have nothing to lose.
Thanks again for the advice! I haven't applied the WD40 yet, but I was curious about trying to get it to move by turning it by hand, and sure enough, it did start up again! It's still not as strong as it was, but maybe that's where the WD40 will help some. Much appreciated!