Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2022, 07:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Shower Vent Screen Removal

First Trip out in a few months and I noticed that the vent fan in the shower would not turn when the button was pressed. Upon further inspection I noticed a mud dauber next on the side of the housing was preventing the fan from turning. How that happened I have no idea because to my knowledge the vent had been pulled closed. Anyway to fix the problem I will have to remove the screen, I know you have to take the plastic handle off. However when I pulled the handle all the way closed, it still does not extend far enough below the trim of the housing to access the screws on the side of the handle. Any Ideas?
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
I’m looking at this again, is the white trim piece held on with 3 screws removable? That appears that may be enough room to get access to the handle screws with a right angle screwdriver. Or am I wrong?
Old 08-28-2022, 11:35 AM   #3
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Can you see the nest clearly? Can you spray it with a water hose to wash it out of there or break it apart with a long probe?
Old 08-28-2022, 11:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
From below , no. I really need to get the screen off to clean it properly
Old 08-28-2022, 01:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Just yesterday I replaced the push-button switch on my 2019 27' Globetrotter Ventline shower fan as well as the foam seal on the lid. To access this you need to get the ladder and remove the outside lid. Two screws remove it. Then you can take a screwdriver and carefully pry the fan blade off. You'll have easy access to the dauber nest. The fan blade is replaced by pushing it back onto the motor shaft. Like you mentioned - removing the inside screen wasn't going to be easy.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 02:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The screen isn't that hard to remove from inside. Pull the handle all the way down, then remove the two small Phillips screws. Remember to cover the shower drain hole first as those screws are likely to fall out. Mine just barely secure the screen to some thin sheet metal part. Yes, you'll have to wrangle the screwdriver into the screw head at an angle but some selective pushing and twisting makes it work. The whole fan contraption is pretty flimsy.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
The screen isn't that hard to remove from inside. Pull the handle all the way down, then remove the two small Phillips screws. Remember to cover the shower drain hole first as those screws are likely to fall out. Mine just barely secure the screen to some thin sheet metal part. Yes, you'll have to wrangle the screwdriver into the screw head at an angle but some selective pushing and twisting makes it work. The whole fan contraption is pretty flimsy.
The problem is that the handle will not pull down far enough to expose the little screws on the side of the handle. When in pull it down as far as it will go , the sides of the handle are still inside the round housing.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
Just yesterday I replaced the push-button switch on my 2019 27' Globetrotter Ventline shower fan as well as the foam seal on the lid. To access this you need to get the ladder and remove the outside lid. Two screws remove it. Then you can take a screwdriver and carefully pry the fan blade off. You'll have easy access to the dauber nest. The fan blade is replaced by pushing it back onto the motor shaft. Like you mentioned - removing the inside screen wasn't going to be easy.

Dan
That’s it. Outside for the shower fan.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post

Dan
If your fan motor conks out, it's important to remember that it's a Ventline fan motor you replace it with. There are other RV fan motors out there (mainly from China) that are somewhat less expensive but the one thaf fits with the bracket in place and the screw holes is the Ventline (owned by Dexter if I am not mistaken).

I just replaced mine (after ordering and returning a "universal" fan motor) and it took only 20 minutes to install and works great.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:18 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Titusville , Florida
Shower fan motor replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
If your fan motor conks out, it's important to remember that it's a Ventline fan motor you replace it with. There are other RV fan motors out there (mainly from China) that are somewhat less expensive but the one thaf fits with the bracket in place and the screw holes is the Ventline (owned by Dexter if I am not mistaken).

I just replaced mine (after ordering and returning a "universal" fan motor) and it took only 20 minutes to install and works great.
The fan motor in the shower of my 2018 FC has conked out. I bought a replacement Dexter motor at the Fryeburg ACI rally and I would appreciate it if you could share the procedure to do so. From the top or from below? Any unique tools required or recommended sealant? Thank you in advance!
spark01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by spark01 View Post
The fan motor in the shower of my 2018 FC has conked out. I bought a replacement Dexter motor at the Fryeburg ACI rally and I would appreciate it if you could share the procedure to do so. From the top or from below? Any unique tools required or recommended sealant? Thank you in advance!
I replaced it from the top. Remove the black vent cover. The motor is held in place under a bracket with two Philips screws (most likely they will have included a bracket and two new screws with your new Ventline/Dexter motor). You don't need the new bracket.

Unscrew the two screws and pull out the two wire connectors from the motor and pull off the plastic fan blade. Reconnect the wires to the new motor (make sure the power is off!) slip the fan blade onto the new motor shaft and screw the new motor onto the bracket, test the new motor, screw the black cover into place and you are done.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote