RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Should I Go, or Should I Stay?

First, I love this forum; many thanks to all for the info!

I have a planned appointment at Jackson Center for some warranty repair work on my 2019 22FB Sport.
  1. The laminate-covered panel between the door and the dinette had the wall fastener let go (see attached photos, hopefully attached correctly). This resulted in cracked laminate. My local dealer that I purchased from did a repair last year, and it failed again by time I got home from the 60 mile trip. (This time the laminate did not crack.)
  2. The translucent panels between the dinette and bed continue to fall out. I believe this is a design issue, and have a fix I'm planning on doing, but interested in what the factory would do.
  3. Five or six marker lights had condensation inside the sealed portion, and for some reason the dealer replaced only half of them.
  4. Had an intermittent issue with furnace not coming on. I'm assuming one of the two safety switches was stuck. (The ignition portion was working.)

My main concern is the failed fastener in the laminate-covered panel. I'm concerned the side wall is beginning to look like Swiss cheese, so I'm hoping for a permanent repair. I've read where many on this forum praise the factory repair people, hence my decision to make the appointment. The only problem is by the time I planned to go this route, the soonest appointment I could get was Dec 2.

I'm concerned about making the 850 mile, 14 hour trip to Jackson Center for several reasons:
  • First, will they make a permanent, professional repair making the trip worthwhile? (Should I try to find out how they will repair this?)
  • Second, this is a 2-day trip for me, and weather may not cooperate so I'm concerned about the obvious. Most if not all campgrounds will be closed, wondering best place to stay for the two travel nights.
  • Lastly, and maybe most important, is traveling and being at the factory during the pandemic. Hopefully, the pandemic situation will be improved in 2021, but who knows.

I realize this ultimately is a personal choice, but Should I Go or Should I Stay, or in other words, should I bother making the trip and if so, should I re-schedule for spring/summer?

Thanks in advance, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200826_152644.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	383483   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201027_161346.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	383484  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191003_192414-2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	383485  
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Looks like the same problem as this thread.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f38...te-211525.html

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
The panels always seem to come loose.

I put a little piece of clear vinyl between the fastener and the panel and that seemed to help. I did notice that one of panels doesn't fit well and will need a trim to get it further into the little brackets. I am going to trim it near the top so the shape better fits the trailer wall.

Condensation can be reduced by caulking the top of the fixture where the lens goes into the gasket. Leave the bottom clear of caulking so it can weep if any moisture does get in.

Fixing the cabinet where it pulled away from the wall is a challenge and if you read the thread, you can see the work that was done to fixe one. It seems that once you get into it, you end up fixing more issues until you are happy.

Have a look at you tire pressure as well as this may be a cause of rigidity that is shaking the cabinet loose.

If you can do it, I would make the trip and see how good the techs are at Airstream.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Isn’t it “should I stay or should I go now?”
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
The KOA in Mercer, PA or Wolfs Campground in Knox, PA are both great for a stay along the way.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
I think you're correct, PB_NB. Thanks
Old 11-18-2020, 07:43 PM   #7
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Isnít it ďshould I stay or should I go now?Ē
Yes, your correct!
Old 11-18-2020, 07:43 PM   #8
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontzdav View Post
The KOA in Mercer, PA or Wolfs Campground in Knox, PA are both great for a stay along the way.
Thanks very much, I'll look into them.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
Yes, your correct!
Thank you! Good luck if you decide to go and I hope they find a better fix for everything.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
MSL, I can tell you that itís worth your time to go if you can make it.

I was in Jackson Center the week before Halloween for repairs to our 2019 27í Globetrotter. Iím lucky that itís only a 6.5 hour trip. I had a list of 10 items, three of which were significant: frame separation, gap between sink and Corian countertop, and ripples in woven flooring.

I met with the tech after he reviewed each item on the list and explained what they planned to do to remedy them. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of detail and acknowledgement of each issue.

He asked if I planned to stay in the trailer overnight at the Terraport because the frame separation would require them to remove the bedroom furniture and the interior skin. He was willing to put it back together so I could stay in it. I told him Iíd get a hotel for the night so they wouldnít have to go through all that work only to remove it the next day to continue.

By the end of Day 2 they finished all the work including the frame separation, removing the galley countertop and re-gluing the sink and re-stretching the floor in the bedroom, galley and entry area. And they finished the list of small things too.

If you can make the trip youíll get a professional repair job worth your while.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Watch the weather, if it's clear for your travel out, I say yes, go.

Otherwise reschedule for April or later next year.

For me, I would surely NOT tow through slush/snow/salted roads.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:57 PM   #12
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
MSL, I can tell you that itís worth your time to go if you can make it.

I was in Jackson Center the week before Halloween for repairs to our 2019 27í Globetrotter. Iím lucky that itís only a 6.5 hour trip. I had a list of 10 items, three of which were significant: frame separation, gap between sink and Corian countertop, and ripples in woven flooring.

I met with the tech after he reviewed each item on the list and explained what they planned to do to remedy them. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of detail and acknowledgement of each issue.

He asked if I planned to stay in the trailer overnight at the Terraport because the frame separation would require them to remove the bedroom furniture and the interior skin. He was willing to put it back together so I could stay in it. I told him Iíd get a hotel for the night so they wouldnít have to go through all that work only to remove it the next day to continue.

By the end of Day 2 they finished all the work including the frame separation, removing the galley countertop and re-gluing the sink and re-stretching the floor in the bedroom, galley and entry area. And they finished the list of small things too.

If you can make the trip youíll get a professional repair job worth your while.
Thanks very much for the detailed reply.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #13
MSL
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
Watch the weather, if it's clear for your travel out, I say yes, go.

Otherwise reschedule for April or later next year.

For me, I would surely NOT tow through slush/snow/salted roads.
Kind of what we're thinking. Thanks for the advise.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:38 AM   #14
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
personally I wouldn't go with covid plus winter travel....I would wait not drive 1700miles of what does not sound like fun t all !
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
I took the panel out. Opened things up and liked it better. Traded in on 25
Traded in 2016 Sport 16, 2019 Sport 22
As they say, third AS is what to buy first
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've made the trip a few days before Christmas towing an '86 25 ft. Sovereign from south of Nashville, TN. I hit snow in KY. and kept trucking. I stayed at the tellaport or whatever they call it. They were there with a tractor at 7 a.m. to take the trailer in to repair broken outer/inner fender wells and pipes in the side bathroom due to a catostrophic blowout caused by a broken brake spring. It had required new bearings, complete brake backing, new drum and tire a few months before. I stayed in the lobby all day and no one else was in there with me. They finished at the end of the day and I left the next day. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again even with the threat of Covid, just protect yourself with mask around people and a bottle of hand sanitizer.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Trips like this with quick overnights are a good use of Harvest host, boondockers welcome, or Airstream courtesy parking - especially if you can manage the nighttime temps without hookups (though often they are offered)
Czarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I have an appointment with JC on 15 December, my third in as many years, all for warranty work, and all around that time of year. I highly recommend you make the trip, winterizing as necessary. They fix our Airstreams better than anybody.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Yes on Jackson Center if itís warranty and you can make the trip. We were there in April and they were not allowing camping in their full hookup area. It may have changed recently but itís worth calling and asking. We like to roll in on a Monday and try to give them as much time as possible to fix as they will also fix other things they come across that may have wiggled loose or doesnít look right to the tech and usually Fridayís can be half days for them. Especially if a holiday is somewhere around the week you are going.

We ended up doing an AirBB for the 4.5 days while waiting for our warranty work. There are a lot of options up by the lake just north east of Jackson Center if you need it.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I went to Jackson Center twice this summer.

Late July, and then again in September.

I highly recommend service at the factory. Treat them with respect and kindness and they will respond in kind x2.

Stayed right at the terraport both times, no issues, no worries with covid, no problems.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote