Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #1

Honea Path , South Carolina
Should I buy a 1965 Airstream OVERLANDER?

PLEASE HELP!!!

I need your help asap. I'm about to travel 6 hours away to possibly buy a 1965 Airstream OVERLANDER for $6000. I need to know if I'm about to spend too much on this trailer.

The ad for the trailer didn't list several of the issues that the owner admitted to during a later conversation. Most of these didn't seem horrible. Basically, none of the appliances or amenities are in working condition. One of the windows also had been shot with a bb gun. The tail lights do not work either.

The floor, frame, and body seem to be in okay condition. That is what the owner has assured me to be his belief. From the pictures, it looks to be okay. It has all the original content and nothing seems to have ever been repaired or altered. It seems okay though, not too bad overall.

One guide suggested that the price should be from $4000 to $6000 for this condition. Does that sound right? What is a fair price based on the information given?

I am really, really wanting to get into this hobby. I think it would be a great project and a lot of fun. I apologize if this thread belongs somewhere else. I have to go tomorrow to check out this airstream so I need to know what you think asap. Thank you!

Also, if you could point out some things that I need to look for tomorrow that would be great.
COAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
Do you have photos to share, any more info? Doesn't sound like a terrible price based on what you say, but be forewarned, a proper restoration of a trailer that old can get really expensive, really fast--even if you do a lot of it yourself. I just bailed on my 1962 restoration due to costs.

It depends on your budget (beyond purchase), your time available, your skills/aptitude to take on work yourself, how much you want to hire out . . . your budget.

: )
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:47 PM   #3

My budget would be about $2000 with an unlimited amount of time to do it. All labor could be done by me. I have a small shop and the time to figure it all out. I could, of course, push my budget up to a maximum of $4000. That would be an investment of $10,000 total. I don't feel comfortable going over that. I don't expect for it to be in amazing shape, ever. I just need it to be good and worth it.

Any tips on what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Pull the banana wraps and check the front and rear sides. 6k is a lot without knowing the condition of frame and floor. You can find others for less
Old 02-06-2018, 05:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
You need to be much more realistic with your beyond purchase budget...
2k won’t get you very far and 4K won’t get you much farther.
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Rotten floors and rusted-out frame members are the monster flaws that hide in many of our old trailers. Inspect the h___ out of those areas.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:39 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
$$ OUCH $$ - Lets be Realistic

A window shot out leads to an issue with the floor due to water damage. If the AC does not work, ... $1000. If the refrigerator does not work, .... $600-800. converter/inverter, ..... $200-$400, fresh water tank toilet, water pump, seized valve, faucets (water system)$800-$900. Tires, bearings, tow lights for a start, .... $800-$1000 (Dual Axle), ..... axle replacement......... new floor tile, ......... new upholstery because of mice and misc stuff coming thru the broke window, .... I hate to burst your bubble, but, your max $4000 budget won't touch it, and that is with your labor. I am just trying to be realistic. Put aside some restoration money, keep your eyes open for your dream Airstream, keep reading the forum so that you understand what the costs are and what lies ahead, then make your decision. Don't jump to fast on this one. There will be others. You will find your trailer, and you will know when the time is right.

Regards,
StevieB
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
COAX,

Welcome the the forums and a hearty potential welcome to vintage Airstreaming. I agree with the comments so far. The condition of the frame is a big part of current value, and is difficult to assess. As suggestions, take a look at every accessible areas of the frame. Check for soft spots in the flooring. Especially check around the door, in the bath and below windows. Open the rear and side hatches (remember under the refrigerator) and check for soft areas. The soft wood indicates years of slow leakage and rot with potential for frame rust and wastage. Wastage and rust through are the enemy, surface rust is usually not a problem.

You may also want to push (bounce) up and down on the rear bumper to check for frame body separation. The frame and body should move together and not flex apart.

Everything is able to be restored, but when you get into frame repairs, your costs and time rise significantly.

Here's a link to our most recent project, if interested, https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39...er-155180.html

Good luck, and enjoy the project,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The floor does not look original to me. New vinyl or wood is a way to disguise a rotted subfloor. Be careful.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #10

Thank you!!!

After reading up on this forum and the facebook page, I've decided to hold off until Friday before going to look at the trailer. I really want to own an airstream and I think I let it get the best of me. The tiles aren't original and it looks like a bubble may be hiding some floor rot.

I have time... and some money. I can do restoration work... but replacing a frame or floor is a bit more than I wish to do. I'm going to cut my initial bid down to $2000-3000 and maximum of $4000. I've realized that it might even be easier if I just bought one that was already gutted.

You all have been invaluable. Hopefully, someday I can join you and have an airstream too. Until then I'm going to just keep reading and learning about this amazing travel trailer.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Port Townsend , Washington
65 Overlander

Having just been through this rodeo myself, this one looks like a bit of a wreck. It probably has floor rot, frame rust, other hidden issues. Plus the body looks kind of rough. It all can be fixed -- for money.

Can the thing even be towed six hours? It may need new tires to even roll, plus you'll need lights to add on.

I finally unearthed a '79 Tradewind "barn find" in Oregon. Planning to retrieve it this weekend.
douggant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Welcome to Air Forums!

believed the seller of our '67 Safari about its condition when we paid $6500 in 2013 but since then we've had to gut it and rebuild with over $30K total invested. Admittedly greater expense came from us selecting top of the line options and available safety features. You would need to replace axles, brakes and tires for starters. It may be worth $2K to $4K to someone with significant time and funds to invest.
Keep looking.
Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
If you go look at it open the cabinets at floor level. If they are hiding a rotted floor chances are they didn't put the floor covering inside cabinets.
You'll be able to see the rot or warped original asbestos flooring.
The price of the trailer is just the down payment.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by COAX View Post
I've realized that it might even be easier if I just bought one that was already gutted.
Not necessarily. Rebuilding the interior of an Airstream is a lot of work, unless you're planning to do that anyway.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
You may consider making 3 lists -

1. Safety - items for repair or replace for safe towing and living (check for LP leaks, electrical, light fixtures, prior mods or repairs made that may not be safe (DIY), axle, frame, tongue, etc. Also - never use the furnace without checking for CO-2 - on and on
2. Livability & Comfort - appliances and heat / AC, water system including fresh water tank & water pump, black tank - including valve operation & seal & grey water plumbing, cushions and hard surfaces, interior items in general - cabinets, tub, closets, floor covering, electrical, LP, etc. Sure - you can live without a refrigerator or a water heater but that is part of the reason for having a trailer. The Airstreams from that time have copper water lines and you can expect leaks. The electrical components need to be checked and the converters tend to be shot.
3 Cosmetic - items like floor covering, dings, dents, discoloration, popped rivets, etc.

If you already know it's a project for you you may consider adding a grey water tank. It's a pain not having one to be honest. And - of course check the integrity of the floor, rear separation, and for mold. If it needs a new sub-floor then that changes a lot in terms of economics. I can personally attest to a window being $1,000 on my 69. A/C - if you have the Armstrong unit then replacing the A/C is not just the cost mounting a new unit on top and wiring it up - again I can attest to that one personally.

Then - go to the Airstream Values site and figure out what that year / model will be worth once you finish your project. Once you have that it's arithmetic - purchase cost + repairs, replacements, materials, tools, and - if you are really being exact - your time. Then - it's your decision and yours alone to make.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I spent over $10K 9 years ago doing all the work myself. It is amazing how fast it all adds up: axles, tires, fabric,fridge, windows, floor covering, hitch, brake controller and on and on. Just be aware it will take 4 times a long as you think and 3 times the money. I've talked with lots of folks who have redone older Airstreams and that is reasonable estimate for most folks.
BUT, I think the older trailers with real wood are worth the effort of bring back to tip top shape. I love my 68.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
COAX,
We are retired and have spent the last 2 years 4 months on our redo....it's a lot of work!!!
I'll guarantee the frame is very rusty because water soaks up into the floor insulation and surrounds the frame. It stays wet almost forever (with the underbelly keeping air movement checked).
The floor will probably need replaced in some areas....probably the rear 2 ft and the front 4 ft.
The smell inside is from mice living in the walls....to get rid of it, walls need removed, insulation removed, etc.. Then may as well redo the electric and plumbing.
The axles/brakes will need replaced because the rubber in the axle has hardened and don't trust the brakes unless they're closely looked at.
If you're sort of a welder, carpenter, plumber, and electrician, have $17,000.00, and a lot of time and patience....you'll have a lot of fun.
Hindsight.....wish we had spent the $ on a newer one that did not take so much of our time!
Just thought you would like to know
The Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Twinkie,

I had the same thoughts many times. If I had it to do over thought I'd do the same thing.
I love the nostalgia plus the size vs weight of the older trailers.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome COAX and douggant: Potential new vintage Airstream enthusiasts. The replies to your inquiry are right on. I like to say a good body on a good frame is worth $5000. I think finding the best body, or shell, you can is important as dents, gouges, broken windows, or hail damage are expensive to repair. Extensive frame repairs or replacement is also expensive.

Once you have a good body and frame, then the fun begins. You may have read about "full monte" restorations or renovations here on Air Forums. There are many such project threads. Most of them don't discuss the overall costs of the renovations on top of the initial cost of the trailer. I spent about 1200 hours and about $13k on my first project trailer. It was not a "full monte" body off and I did not replace the cabinetry except for the bathroom.

Vintage Airstreams are a fun hobby for me. We like traveling in them, and I like the "shop" work.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Front Shade (Small).JPG
Views:	89
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	303698  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #20
Private Collector

1965 26' Overlander
1977 31' Excella 500
Fredericton , New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
I spent over $10K 9 years ago doing all the work myself. It is amazing how fast it all adds up: axles, tires, fabric,fridge, windows, floor covering, hitch, brake controller and on and on. Just be aware it will take 4 times a long as you think and 3 times the money. I've talked with lots of folks who have redone older Airstreams and that is reasonable estimate for most folks.
BUT, I think the older trailers with real wood are worth the effort of bring back to tip top shape. I love my 68.
Not sure what it is about the 60's Airstreams in their original style; but mmmmmmmm...could sit and stare at them ALL the day LONG
Alice Knox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags