Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
They should let you use this trailer until your new one comes in.

Now that’s funny!
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #82
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I, too, showed up before the dealer was ready and caught an issue from the factory that was not ok with me and needed a factory fix. It was clear that, had I waited til the dealer was ready, they woulda fixed it in a manner that was not satisfactory but I would probly have not noticed.

When the factory tech offered a time-savin, unsatisfactory solution while I was at Jackson Center, I told em that it needed to be done right even if it took more time.

His answer was 'Ok, we can do that. But we have done plenty the other way before they were delivered and the customer never noticed. '

So, yep, coverin stuff up in an unacceptable manor thats 'good enough' is probly common practice in the entire RV industry, including at Jackson Center.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
I, too, showed up before the dealer was ready and caught an issue from the factory that was not ok with me and needed a factory fix. It was clear that, had I waited til the dealer was ready, they woulda fixed it in a manner that was not satisfactory but I would probly have not noticed.

When the factory tech offered a time-savin, unsatisfactory solution while I was at Jackson center, I told em that it needed to be done righy even if it took more time.

His answer was 'Ok, we can do that. But we have done plenty the other way before they were delivered and the customer never noticed. '

So, yep, coverin stuff up in an unacceptable manor thats 'good enough' is probly common practice in the entire RV industry, including at Jackson Center.
Wow, so they aren't even shy to admit they do shoddy work.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #84
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Wow, so they aren't even shy to admit they do shoddy work.
I said it in another thread. But my experience at JC was very disappointing.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Very disheartening to hear all these stories.

I have an acquaintance that works at an airstream dealer in another part of the country. I sent him my photos and talked on the phone about the situation.

His response was, "doesn't look like something that would come out of the factory," and, "I would not accept that trailer."

Regardless, will be interesting to hear what the factory and what the dealer response is on Monday.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #86
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I actually do not believe this was Jackson Center. But who knows.

All in all my trailer is great and once ya get a good one, you will love it. And JC does work hard to make things right, even if ya gotta watch em kinda closely.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Evertime I work on my Airstream I am shocked at what I find. I think they make good cabinetry, ok body/shell, junk mechanical, electrical and plumbing work. I love mine, but I have fixed so much on my own. I know I'll never buy another.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Evertime I work on my Airstream I am shocked at what I find. I think they make good cabinetry, ok body/shell, junk mechanical, electrical and plumbing work. I love mine, but I have fixed so much on my own. I know I'll never buy another.

Ditto: fixed, upgraded, and last one too!
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Same here. I'm thinking about selling mine, but of course only after all I've gone through to fix everything. Almost like a love/hate relationship with my Airstream. It's beautiful, but the beauty is only skin deep...

Honestly, If I woke up one day and saw one of my cabinets hanging down off the ceiling like it was about to fall, I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Airstream is what happens when you have absolutely zero oversight, supervision, or quality control in manufacture.

This will likely be my one and only. If maybe they came out with like my dream trailer/floorplan, I'd have to think long and hard about what I would be getting myself into again.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
weirdstuff, What I am getting at, one can lay into someone being very humble. The other point is once you buy, these CEO's, Presidents, VP's could care less about what they have sold. However if we all band together and let these CEO's, Presidents, and VP's feel the heat, maybe just maybe things will change. Good luck on warranty work. Your AS will sit at the dealer for months while the factory and dealer go back and forth as to what the factory will agree to. The Dealer will not do anything until the factory gives their ok. Our 1st AS was a 1972 33' and the quality was excellent for its time. Wish we had not sold it. The remodel/update would have been 1/2 of what we paid for our 2017 Classic. We will not buy another AS, this is our last one. We like our Classic, however we/personally fixed and upgraded what AS could not or would not fix. We are ok w/this as we know what we are getting. Good and safe travels. sbowman
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
weirdstuff, What I am getting at, one can lay into someone being very humble. The other point is once you buy, these CEO's, Presidents, VP's could care less about what they have sold. However if we all band together and let these CEO's, Presidents, and VP's feel the heat, maybe just maybe things will change. Good luck on warranty work. Your AS will sit at the dealer for months while the factory and dealer go back and forth as to what the factory will agree to. The Dealer will not do anything until the factory gives their ok. Our 1st AS was a 1972 33' and the quality was excellent for its time. Wish we had not sold it. The remodel/update would have been 1/2 of what we paid for our 2017 Classic. We will not buy another AS, this is our last one. We like our Classic, however we/personally fixed and upgraded what AS could not or would not fix. We are ok w/this as we know what we are getting. Good and safe travels. sbowman
Yes, I get that. Didn't mean to imply that you meant we should be nasty.

I hear ya about warranty work. We used to own an Interstate, and, well, been there, done that...that thing spent a lot of time at the dealer while dealer and factory bickered about who would fix what.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:53 PM   #92
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
The other concerning factor is that normal silicon caulk isn't used on the roofs of airstreams at the factory, and what I am seeing on yours (which the residue all over the awning shield suggests) is that silicon was used in this very suspicious repair.

D
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I think it is white Sikaflex. It has that whipped cream kinda look to it when you smear it around.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Here are a few shots from when I did my solar. My unit was new, picked up on 12/16/16, this is about 4 months after being stored outside in Denver, CO

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	296020

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	296021
Old 10-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #95
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
here's the pic....

This is the main awning, view from roof...
weirdstuff,

Congratulations on your new Airstream and sorry to learn about some of the issues you mentioned in your post. We're monitoring this issue closely, are looking into what happened and have reached out to your dealer to get this taken care of.

Please feel free to send us a private message or reach out to our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 if you need additional assistance.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
weirdstuff,

Congratulations on your new Airstream and sorry to learn about some of the issues you mentioned in your post. We're monitoring this issue closely, are looking into what happened and have reached out to your dealer to get this taken care of.

Please feel free to send us a private message or reach out to our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 if you need additional assistance.
Thank you. We appreciate your effort.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #97
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
weirdstuff,

It's nice seein Airstream chime in here, it reflects well on the company. I'm hopin y'all took one look at that trailer and asked for it to be sent back to the factory!
Old 10-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #98
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Thank you. We appreciate your effort.
Weirdstuff, please keep us posted with what happens.

Thank you.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Weirdstuff, please keep us posted with what happens.

Thank you.
I will. So far today, we've received an email from Jackson Center, saying they are looking into what happened. No other word yet.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #100
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
Shocking roof caulking mess on new unit

Quote:
No, still not sure about that, because I think it was delivered to the main dealer first, and then to the branch dealership that we're dealing with.

I just looked at all of the photos on my big computer screen, where I was able to zoom in on everything.

It does look like some part of the trailer or awning is dented along the top (below the awning, about 1/3 of the way into the photo.

And the Zip Dee end cap...is that supposed to be that shape, or is is damaged? It looks like it should be a complete "circle".

And the scraped bumper piece...lots of rust, even on the side it's scraped and rusted. And it extends to the part under where it attaches, which means all that damage was probably done prior to assembly.

If anyone has photos of the roof of a new-ish trailer, I'd love to see what the caulking looks like along the awning, as well as what the awning end caps look like.

Our condolences. Accept another unit. There shouldn't be any conversation about fixing this unit's issues. Clearly the unit has been structurally compromised. No repairing is acceptable at this level, and you'll end up with future problems related to these "fixes". I'm no engineer but I'd imagine any crash into these units will compromise, for example, each rivet (and other structures) in the surrounding crash site. No tolerance is acceptable when it comes to leaks.

Here's some photos of our roof. We have a 2016 27FC with full awning package.

Curb side

Name:	IMG_1135.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	296144

Street side

Name:	IMG_1136.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	296145

Close up under curb side awning-no dents. Your photo looked like the skirting band was dented.

Name:	IMG_1134.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	296147

Hope these helped. Don't accept the unit!

Your dealership is making their problem, your problem.

Keep posting.

P.S. Consider AS rentals in your area for your planned outing. At least you can still partake in the AS experience...as far as camping goes![emoji12]

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote