Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Sealing an aluminum patch

I have a 78 31’ Sovereign that I have several patches to the outer skin to make.

What is the right procedure to follow? What sealants should be used in each step? If one of the patches is on the roof is the procedure or the sealant different?

Bill
Keeping Faith
wcronin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Brockville , Ontario
Hey Bill,

I'm new to my AS, but would it be any different than installing a new roof vent?

As I took apart my 1963 Sovereign, I found that the water heater, furnace, water fill pipe, and antenna mount were all done the same way, I believe at the factory.

In all cases solid buck rivets were used with putty sandwiched between the outer panel and the mounted piece of aluminum.

With the after market replacements and add-ons (roof vents and A/C), the putty was also used, but screwed or pop riveted. These leak wherever fasteners let go or did't catch. The factory installed stuff did not leak.

I've read about Olympic rivets, which are blind structural rivets which don't leak (apparently), but haven't tried them. Perhaps others have.

Rob
Strangmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Brunswick , Georgia
I have a couple small patches to make on the side of my Airstream. I've never tried patching, but after reading a few things here, I think when I get around to it I will attach the patch with Trempro 635 polyurethane, followed with olympic rivets.
bobhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Hey everyone.

Have search the forums on how to make an aluminum patch without success.

I’ve decided to cover over one of my vista windows in my 78 Sovereign and hopefully use this thread to document it.

I welcome advice and input as I’m sure I’m not the first alumihead to do this.

More to come.

Bill
wcronin4 is offline   Reply With Quote