Old 08-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , CA
Rust and corrosion

Pre purchase inspection found rust and corrosion on a 2018 classic 33. This is in places like belly compartments, axle, tongue jack belly bay compartment, landing jack, battery area ..

The RV dealer says they will repair but how common is this. Unit has been in florida so maybe humidity got to it. How concerned should I be?

Thanks

candrews768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Down south, very common, impossible to avoid and everything in the undercarriage is affected. Painting or undercoating seems futile so.... I am presuming it is all or mostly surface rust with very little pitting. I coat everything underneath with CorrosionX. It removes the rust, makes it all look nice and prevents it from returning. Not too thick as road grime will build up. I have found I have to do this every 6-9 months or so, and in between everything looks really nice under there.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , CA
Thanks for the advice
candrews768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
I know there are literally thousands of “subjects” & threads re: rust and corrosion, so please don’t suggest I “look it up”. With that being said, I have a brand new Bambi & live in KS, and will not be going to either coast for at least a year or two. Do I need to use the Boeshield T-9 and/or Corrosion X at this early time in my Bambi’s life??? I also don’t understand IF I need to be using one or the other of the 2 listed as I’ve read many comments that people on this forum do use them. I appreciate your input, and look forward to hearing from folks!!!
SUP'n Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
You should use one of the products from the beginning. In straight up tests Boeshield and similar wax based products outperform CorrosionX Aviation (Aviation is much better than regular or HD) in salt water performance on flat surfaces and in not attracting as much grime. CorrosionX Aviation is almost as good though it doesn't hold up on flat surfaces as long but if you wash the surface often with detergent, neither do the wax products. CorrosionX Aviation also wicks much better, penetrates further and continues to penetrate over time and with repeat applications so for joints and gaps CorrosionX is better. So pick your poison but if you want your bambi to hold up and look nice use something and these two products are at the top. I suppose a combination is the best of both worlds.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Two acetylene cut plate sculptures, uncoated except for Corrosion X.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35004B76-979D-43F5-90DA-2833DC00E6E5_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	757.0 KB
ID:	378344  

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Lawrence , Kansas
I’ve been reading a lot on airstream forum, and read where Boeshield T-9 should be sprayed on the underside of the airstream. I’m wondering how old the airstream should be as I have a brand new Bambi, and don’t know that it would need this protection this soon! We live in the Midwest, and it will most likely be years before we get close to any sea salt. I appreciate any insight you might have!
SUP'n Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Get some and apply it immediately. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Bought our current trailer one year old out in Boise and after a year it looked nearly new underneath. After just 6 weeks here in the Louisiana humidity it was showing significant surface corrosion on all the undercarriage. After 3 months I applied Corrosion X and it removed all the rust from the steel components and they look great. The galvanized sheets look a lot better but not like they did when I first bought it ah well live and learn. Since you are going to do it eventually do it now.