Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 532 International
New Braunfels , Texas
Roof Vent Covers

We have a roof leak on the aft ceiling vent. Actually, it's probably the framing on the inside of the trailer's ceiling.

I want to put a vent cover over the unit. I've shopped Amazon but before I make the purchase I'd sure appreciate some thoughts from those who have installed these units. Best brands and easiest brands to go with?

(I do NOT want to drill into the trailer's skin.)

Thanks in advance!
Ext Cab Longbed
Harley occasionally in the bed.
StreamGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
You might consider removing the old sealant from around the outside of the vent, clean it with alcohol and re-seal it with TremPro or Sikaflex, polyurethane sealant. No more leak.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I think most vent cover instructions include drilling and screwing. There is a tape that is used for installing air conditioners that is permanent and very strong.

I am familiar with Maxx Vent. It seems like a good product.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have camco covers, 4 L brackets that have 1 screw into curb of vent other leg that has carriage bolt that fastens cover. No drilling into roof only into curb of vent. First would reseal as some cover like camco sit about 1/4 from roof, no sealing tape. I don't no if other vents conform to roof or seal all 4 sides. Reason I installed is 2 vents have plastic center of cover that is old, AS vents are not sq. and did not desire to replace. And plastic vents will after time sun will crack. Add on covers will protect from elements even if vents are old.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote