Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
roof resealed every 5 years ????

We got a leak this last week in our 2010 25 Flying cloud FB while traveling. one drip from the roof (over table top) and bigger leak next to side window around 5 feet up from floor (which soaked one of our big seat cushions).
I was talking to another Airstream owner at the campground - and they told me that they take their AS in every 5 years to a dealer to get their roof resealed; and that I probably should do the same. I had not heard this before. Any comments on this approach? Do others do this? Is it expensive?
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Never any leaks so far on our 13 classic, our 04 classic leaked from the cracked skylights...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I think you should inspect it (or have it inspected) every couple of years, and if needed, have it resealed. I have a 2014, and while washing it the washer told me there were a couple of spots that needed resealing. I had an AC tech take a look, and sure enough there were, and he did. If I take it to a dealer for something else I will certainly ask them to inspect the roof.

Welcome to Airstreams!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Yes, I also heard from Airstream and my local dealer that you should have it inspected every couple of years and resealed as required. I just had our 2012 completely resealed, old sealant removed, new installed.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
I had it done to my previous 05 Safari 18 months ago. It is expensive if you want to be thorough. Personally, I did not want to spend the time and effort and was more than happy to have JC do it. I asked them to replace ALL sealant. Mine was a 25' trailer and I think they charged me about 10 or 12 hours of labor. My roof had the usual orifices, but also 2 fantastic fans and 2 solar panels. They found issues. They also told me they could "pressurize" my trailer and check for exterior leaks. I opted for that as well - I think that was an extra $250 or $300. That exposed an issue around a window near my storage opening which they subsequently cured.

Tough money to spend, but gave me peace of mind and was a nice selling point a year later.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Nearly five years since new, we had the roof sealants inspected as part of routine maintenance at Jackson Center this spring. They found the tank vents needing new sealant, everything else fine so we had them do it.

Sun exposure is the enemy of sealants so it depends on the climate you live/travel in how long they might last. If stored under cover much of the year they could last a long time.

I've got some sealants at our house that have been on there for 15 years, in the sun much of the day. They are covered with high quality latex paint (needing renewal in maybe ten years) which has taken the UV exposure and left the sealant under in perfect shape. I am considering something to cover the many sealants on our Airstream in a similar fashion. Any suggestions or experience here?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I have been wondering a GACO. Just had a rubber flat roof coated and the roofing guys swear by it.
Larry
Old 07-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #8
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
That rubber stuff works really well. Phil Swift is always telling me his FlexShot &/or Flex Seal stuff floats airboats built of screens all day in the bayou and you can't get a better endorsement than that.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Evidently AS sealing roofs much dif. than older yrs. as my 1976 has never had resealed or needed and not recommended from JC at that time that I am aware of. I have 1 leak at one of 3 red marker lights above rear window that does not leak all time so I don't mess with it. AS must have better design now to rec. resealing every 5 yrs plus so many leaks. Maybe have real engr. design instead of bean counters and looking for max. $ to sell for. none of my 5 AS pur before [76] had recommendation of resealing. Only 1 leaked was 1966 caravel [17 ft.] and I don't think any sealer was used as first rain woke up to 2in. water on floor it leaked every where. Traded for 1967 30 ft. AS same day. I never heard any one complain of leaks in those yrs. Another exc. design is banana wraps over lap side sides instead of under, that was around time Beatrice pur. AS and QC went into toilet, I don't no if wraps still go over or under after 1976 models. My 76 sat outside and was never in until 1991 then now inside from Nov. until May outside all summer.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Skylights can also be the cause as the mounting screws are usually over torqued at the factory upon installation causing them to crack around the edges.Water will the then run different directions on the inner roof.Remove the screws on the inside plastic trim and check for water stains on the wood mount with a small step ladder.When I installed my Maxim skylights I found mine had been leaking.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Black Diamond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Evidently AS sealing roofs much dif. than older yrs. as my 1976 has never had resealed or needed and not recommended from JC at that time that I am aware of. I have 1 leak at one of 3 red marker lights above rear window that does not leak all time so I don't mess with it. AS must have better design now to rec. resealing every 5 yrs plus so many leaks. Maybe have real engr. design instead of bean counters and looking for max. $ to sell for. none of my 5 AS pur before [76] had recommendation of resealing. Only 1 leaked was 1966 caravel [17 ft.] and I don't think any sealer was used as first rain woke up to 2in. water on floor it leaked every where. Traded for 1967 30 ft. AS same day. I never heard any one complain of leaks in those yrs. Another exc. design is banana wraps over lap side sides instead of under, that was around time Beatrice pur. AS and QC went into toilet, I don't no if wraps still go over or under after 1976 models. My 76 sat outside and was never in until 1991 then now inside from Nov. until May outside all summer.
My '79 Sovereign had the banana wraps on the outside of the side wall skin. Cannot fathom why they would do that.
Pygmypoacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Nearly five years since new, we had the roof sealants inspected as part of routine maintenance at Jackson Center this spring. They found the tank vents needing new sealant, everything else fine so we had them do it.

Did they explain how they knew the sealant needed replaced?Was it a visual inspection? Was it peeling or coming loose? I went to JC and bought the Acryl R and resealed the seams on the sides and was going to redo the sealant on the roof but everything LOOKS OK so I decided to leave it alone.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Visual inspection, starting to crack. He's been doing Airstream maintenance daily for 25 years so I took his word on it. Another fellow there doing maintenance on our trailer has 50 years at Airstream.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:28 AM   #14
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Seems to me most owners seem to have leaks not so much from segments but appliances penetrating the shell like lights fans skylites antennas etc.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am finding that 5 years is about the limit for my sealing jobs, for my climate, sun exposure and storage situation. UV is the killer, IMO and observation.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Many of the exterior accessories are sealed with foam gaskets. I wonder about the effects of UV and general aging on these. It looks like these will also need replacing at some point. Anyone have some experience to relate? Are they available or must we make our own?

Old 07-15-2016, 07:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

I would also like to know if anyone has used top grade marine quality sealants? We talk about UV being the enemy but the sealant industry has addressed that. My cruising sailboat spent 16 years in the sun every day before anything needed to be rebedded or resealed...and even then the work was only minor. After 4 years my Airstream roof had cracking and peeling sealant and Airstream does not use top quality 25 year or more sealants.

Larry
Old 07-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Seems to me most owners seem to have leaks not so much from segments but appliances penetrating the shell like lights fans skylites antennas etc.
The upper awning arm attachment points are another place to check for leaks. Both the front and back leaked on our '74 Sovereign. Each was attached by a combination of 3 rivets or screws along with silicone caulking. I removed them and re-attached with butyl tape, rivnuts and #10 stainless steel bolts. I also drilled a couple of additional holes. I think part of the problem is that there was no attachment at the bottom of the casting and with the forces the awning can put on these parts it's not enough to keep them from moving and loosening the fasteners.

There is a fifth bolt that can't be seen under the end of the awning arm.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I would also like to know if anyone has used top grade marine quality sealants? We talk about UV being the enemy but the sealant industry has addressed that. My cruising sailboat spent 16 years in the sun every day before anything needed to be rebedded or resealed...and even then the work was only minor. After 4 years my Airstream roof had cracking and peeling sealant and Airstream does not use top quality 25 year or more sealants.

Larry
Larry, There are UV specific Polyurethanes, as I am sure you know. I should have noted that, and as you reminded me, I am not sure that my reseal 5 years ago was with the UV formulation. I recall learning about it at about the same time....so my every 5 years may be low, if the UV formulation is used. I did use UV poly this spring at the 5 year mark of my first reseal. (AS is 10 years old by its birth date, this month.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #20
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
I've used this product on the roof of our Foretravel when we had a Moho and it worked great. Is is used predominantly on school busses which are bolted & riveted like Airstreams... Wonder if it would address the sealing issues?

http://www.hytechsales.com/prod2150.html
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote