Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Nevada City , 95959
Rodents in Tradewind

I was surprised upon opening my trailer that a squirrel had been in my sparkling clean 1978 Tradewind. It had also torn the screen trying to get out... any ideas where this creature got in? I live in the Tahoe area. What do you recommended for repair also? Thanks for your help..
lanajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
Check the frame rails where they enter the underbody of the trailer just behind the tongue. Sometimes there is an opening at the end of the frame rails right behind the tongue that becomes a rodent superhighway into your trailer.
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
rodents

hi- wacnstac has it right, the frame rails are a perfect entry tube for small rodents to the cavity between your trailer floor and the belly pan, and, at least in my '72, there are then other access holes that lead to the plumbing area under the sink, and now they are in your trailer. !st thing to do is get something to plug up the entranceway, underneath, just rear of the hitch-ball socket on the tongue. Maybe some tightly wadded fiberglass, metal screen, etc. Then look for other access points to the belly-pan cavity and do the same. You MAY have mice living in that cavity, using the fiberglass insulation as a nice warm nest- I did. Set a trap or 2 down in that plumbing recess, if you have one, to see. Then get some screen from the hardware store and replace the chewed one. You're relatively lucky- the PO of my rig said the door was left open for a while and raccoons moved in- and the shredded curtains led me to believe that. -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote