Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2021, 08:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Road tools for new people to the road

Ok new glampers+ campers,this is for y'all.
Much like my towing tips for new people to combination vehicles, this isn't for the hardened and grizzled mechanics here.
This is just some basic info on tools, for people who don't know how to use a pair of vice grips.Or a air compressor.
This is just to get you off to a inexpensive start, to be prepared on the road, or at home, with your new rig.
Just like jumping a battery in your tow vehicle, someone else will know how to do it, ( safely, of course) if you don't know how (any many dont) but if you have your own jumper cables onboard, you are most of the way there.
With that out of the way, I'm going to suggest making a stop this weekend at Harbor Freight Tools.Now, going in physically to a store is better than online.Theres tons of stuff for camping, etc also.They send me ads all the time, but it's a big Spring, black Friday weekend sale.
I've got to pick up a little air compressor+ floor jack for a used truck I bought, so I'll start with air compressors.
You can get either of a couple different 100 PSI compressors with tanks for $ 39.99.They are very portable, and a easy fast way to get correct cold pressure inflation for tow vehicle+ trailer tires in your driveway.Or at a campground in middle of woods.All you need to do is plug them in to house current.Or run a generator if boondocking/ etc.
Now, I also carry 12 Volt compressors, that plug into cigarette lighter of tow vehicle.They inflate slower( always run engine when using them) but much better than no air at all
Next, for those that may have a screwdriver and pair of pliars, but that's about it, there's a 130 piece tool kit, in big plastic case, for $29.99.
That gives you all the SAE+ Metric size sockets/ ratchets you would need for repairs, as well as wire cutters /hammer/ needlenose pliers/pliers/ vice grips/Allen wrenches/ nut drivers/ etc etc .
Just between those two things, you are off to a good start.
While you are there, you'll want to pick up a couple tire guages.Maybe a set of jackstands.A 3 Ton bottle jack.etc etc
Old 04-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
Plan all you want...what you'll end up needing will be back home in the tool box or at WallyWorld.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Another tool that we could not do without but never thought we needed is a pair of pruning shears. It often seems that there are small shrubbery branches that need a little trim to get the awning deployed or get the hoses and cables hooked up.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
Plan all you want...what you'll end up needing will be back home in the tool box or at WallyWorld.��

Bob
����
Thanks Bob, for additional words of total wisdom.From a distant nebula deep in the Milky Way
I'll need additional assistance when I get into the portable bar +grill side of Glamping
Old 04-09-2021, 09:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Another tool that we could not do without but never thought we needed is a pair of pruning shears. It often seems that there are small shrubbery branches that need a little trim to get the awning deployed or get the hoses and cables hooked up.

Brian
Very true! It's always something.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI there is a wide variety of threads touching on this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tool...=airforums.com

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ls-211291.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f31...ep-193279.html

Lots of good ideas, including some interesting posts from early in this century . . . . . . hundreds of posts in those earlier threads . . .

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:00 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
Thanks Bob, for additional words of total wisdom.From a distant nebula deep in the Milky Way
I'll need additional assistance when I get into the portable bar +grill side of Glamping
Bob
🇺🇸

AHH the important stuff...after it, no tools required.😂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76FA30E4-55BE-4141-B305-6AFE4B24CC28_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	392796  
Old 04-09-2021, 10:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
For new people to tools, the sets are the best way to go.They don't need to know what it does necessarily, but someone can assist them, like at a glampground.
The tool set is soft molded plastic, so everything you take out, is pushed back into its holder.East to grab tools without rummaging through a box of them, like I do
Example, I was just looking at HarborFreight.Com
For $ 9.99 there's a 20 pc air tool starter kit, for those 3 gallon tank- 1/3 Horsepower compressors I mentioned.
Includes 25 foot airhose for reaching tires,as well as tire chuck inflater and tire Guage.Also adapters for winterizing /blowing out your Airstream water lines.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI there is a wide variety of threads touching on this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tool...=airforums.com

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ls-211291.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f31...ep-193279.html

Lots of good ideas, including some interesting posts from early in this century . . . . . . hundreds of posts in those earlier threads . . .

FYI
FWIW
Thanks, lots of old school stuff, for us cave men there im sure to chuckle about .
Id need a secretary to search through all that stuff.
I think that putting "For new people" helps them, VS trying to figure out what they need.
The reason I did this one, because a recent poster asked what everyone was talking about for the winter storm/ Texas threads this year.She didn't know what you used to blow out the water lines, or thaw tanks, that people were talking about.
We forget that many new glampers ( she said sorry for asking dumb questions) just have no idea.
I think I was the only response to her thread.
So here we go, just in time for a record number of brand new "Trailer people" of all brands, to hit America's highways and byways this year.
It's going to be very interesting out there, buckle up.....
Old 04-09-2021, 10:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Bob
����

AHH the important stuff...after it, no tools required.��
Happy hour at the glampground.Noon till midnight.Rince and repeat...
Old 04-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
I’d add a breaker bar with short extension and socket for changing out a flat. Add to that a torque wrench to check lug nut tightness.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Road tools for new people to the road

Still, the bottom line is that no matter how many tools and spare parts you carry, the handiest item to carry is a credit card with a high limit and wide acceptance. Sometimes you just need one more item got a fix on the road...

The toolbox scene in the beginning of Steve Martin’s “Roxanne” movie comes to mind. Nothing in it but a credit card...[emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
I’d add a breaker bar with short extension and socket for changing out a flat. Add to that a torque wrench to check lug nut tightness.
Agree! I like the big old school 4 Way.But, here's a tip, especially when a tire shop puts on new tires.Have them not overtighten, like many do, with air impact.Just have them snug them, and torque to your specs yourself, as soon as you pull out of shop.Get in the habit of that anyway.Sometimes they miss a lug.Or worse.
That way, if you have a flat you need to change in middle of nowhere, you won't need a 6 foot long pipe to break them loose.
The safety of your rig lies with you.And after about 50- 100 miles of new tires, check the lugs.Same goes for brand new rigs, before and after they leave dealer sales lot.Thats called part of a pre trip+ post trip inspection.Every trip.
New people to combination vehicle rigs, MUST get used to checking wheel lug nuts for proper torque.If they work loose, they can + will sheer the studs off, resulting in wheel flying off rig.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Cleveland , Georgia
Definitely include channel locks (maybe even two sizes) which are good for lots of tasks. I have bought a bunch of Husky brand tools at Home Depot and they are generally well made and they don't rust. Much cheaper than other brands.
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:14 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
Quote:
Bob
🇺🇸

AHH the important stuff...after it, no tools required.😂
Mmmm... Those are the attitude adjustment tools (for me, anyway).
Keep those out of the tool bag.
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Harbor Freight is the lowest common denominator in the tool world. Never buy cheap tools. You'll just buy them over again in short time.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #17
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
For those interested I have a detailed Blog Post on "Tools For The Road" - you can read it here tools-we-need-for-the-road/
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Always use a Six point socket on lug nuts. Buy one and keep it with your breaker bar. Most tool kit sockets are twelve point.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
Harbor Freight is the lowest common denominator in the tool world. Never buy cheap tools. You'll just buy them over again in short time.
Again, this advice isn't for the Pro mechanic/ Snap On/ Matco tool truck crowd, when their trucks pull into the garages.
I'm trying to get brand new trailer people, to at least have some basic affordable kits on hand.They may not ever have put a socket on a bolt, but at least someone who can, could help them.
Btw, Harbor Freight has stepped up their game, the owner is giving the big tool guys some problems, with now lifetime guarantees on HF tools.
As for Air compressors, I can spend 5X as much for a small compressor, but at least they will have one ($39) that will air up their tires in the driveway or at campground.
I welcome tips from experienced people on individual tools, ( like for wheel lugs above) but most of these new peoples eyes will glaze over, buying things one at a time.
I was at Harbor Freight yesterday, after I started this thread.Do I have big shop compressors?Yes.Did I buy the portable HF compressor for $39 ?Yes.Did I buy the $9.99 starter hose/ fitting kit for it? Yes.
I was talking to a guy loading 2 in a cart.He said he was buying them for his kids.He said he uses the same HF 3 gallon compressor all the time, and it's over 2 yrs old.
It is what it is....
Old 04-11-2021, 05:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Thank you, B. Cole.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote