Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Colleyville , Texas
Question Rivet Question; new rivet in new hole?

Cannot seem to find it addressed anywhere so I guess i am just overly concerned about something or too dumb to even ask a question that is obvious to every one else? anyway here goes.

I was installing rivets in my 1991 Excella Limited to reattach and secure some inside wall sheeting that was coming loose inside a small cabinet behind the stove. I was putting a roughly 5/32" diameter rivet in; did fine. In addition to replacing the existing 1/8" rivets (maybe 2-3) i also drilled and install 3-4 of the larger head rivets.

Here is my question... Seems i lucked out and everything worked out fine; or i think it has; but, is it wise to install new rivets where other ones have not existed before?? It occured to me after the drilling was done that I did not know what was behind that wall? I was just after beefing up that inside sheething material; seems like it did; but, may not have been wise.

Any comments on this question from more experienced streamers would be preciated... Thanks. Jim
griffithj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
I think you answered your own question. It's probably not a good idea to be drilling holes if you don't know what's behind the wall. Any particular reason you thought you needed more rivets than were installed at the factory?
Old 07-04-2021, 08:39 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
I think you answered your own question. It's probably not a good idea to be drilling holes if you don't know what's behind the wall. Any particular reason you thought you needed more rivets than were installed at the factory?
There are many threads on this forum discussing all the various panels, shelves and fittings that come loose during road trips, on pretty much all Airstream product. Looking at how sketchy some of the attachment methods are it is sometimes surprising that anything stays upright at all, and there are definitely places where the use of more, or more appropriate fasteners is a really good idea. Especially if you find popped rivets, loose screws, or screws that have pulled through the sheetmetal or rib to which they were attached.
You can somewhat protect from inadvertently damaging stuff that is in the wall by putting a depth stop collar on the drill bit so that it can only go about 1/4 inch deep.
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote