Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Retired Now

1984 31' International
Chattanoooga , Tennessee
Question Right Rear Tire Wearing on Outside & Right wheels Closser together than left wheels

The right rear, curb-side tire on my '84 International was wearing faster on the outside than on the inside. Then I hit a low spot on I-40 and now the two right wheels are closer together than they were and closer together than the left side wheels. One place I had check the trailer said the axles would need to be replaced and sent me to another shop. The mechanic there said that the wheels were still within tolerances and the axles didn't need replacing and to just drive on.

I thought I needed an alignment. What gives? What is causing my problem? Is it dangerus? The left rear tire is definitely wearing faster on one side than another. We have just completed one week of an intended 12-week tour of the western US.

Is there anyone in Texas, we're in the Waco-San Antonio area now, that is qualified to diagnose and repair the problem?

Any help will be appreciaated.
Tnsawdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Check that the torsion arm has not been bent at the angle where it joins the axle. That's what happened to me. Axle Alignment involves putting a big gauge on the axle and bending the axle. Other than AS dealers I have been told some outfits that service livestock trailers can do it. I couldn't find any though. I forget what is caster and what is camber but it is the toe in and toe out that eats tires more than the vertical angle with the road. Check your mirrors when towing also to see if the trailer is crabbing or not following directly in the path of the TV. The trailer goes down the road kind of like a crab on the beach.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Retired Now

1984 31' International
Chattanoooga , Tennessee
Thanks for your comments. The trailer tows estremely well and there is no crabbing. I can't get out to check the arm for bending outward as you suggested until it gets to be daylight but when I looked earlier to check for positive or negative angle I did not notice any evident twisting of the arm.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Call Central Freight. We just returned from the Region 9 WBCCI rally in Waco. One Airstreamer told me he had Central Freight there in Waco align his axles and was quite complimentary of them. I may have misunderstood him, but that is what I thought he said, Central Freight. In any case, there is apparrently someone there in Waco that does alignment to Henschen axles.

I personally just had my axles realigned at North Dallas RV in far north Dallas (Intersection of IH35 and George Bush Freeway) in Carrolton. Phone number: 972-242-0404 They charged a little over $200 for two axles and seemed to be very competent in what they do. You will have to call for an appointment as they are always behind. When I was there two months ago, there was a whole parking lot full of Airstreams awaiting various services.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Retired Now

1984 31' International
Chattanoooga , Tennessee
That sounds great. I hope the name is Central Texas Frame & Alignment, Inc. I am camped in the I-35 RV Park just across the interstate and less than 2 miles away from that business. I'll check them out tomorrow. They advertise RV alignment. I just hope they really are knowlegable about Airstreams.
It is amazing to get advice from you folk so quickly. I hope your travels are safe and exhilarating.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If the place in Waco is no help, I know you can get them aligned at North Dallas RV in Carrollton. I was just up there last week and had mine aligned. They did a good job and had it done in an hour. They are only about an hour and a half North from where you are. Good luck.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnsawdust View Post
I can't get out to check the arm for bending outward as you suggested until it gets to be daylight but when I looked earlier to check for positive or negative angle I did not notice any evident twisting of the arm.
In my case the arm was bent inward. This was not apparent until I compared the angles of the arms. I'm not talking about up or down angle of the arm but side to side compared to the trailer center line. What I was told was this indicated a bent spindle and nobody was going to mess with straightening it, but they used to in the past. The arm is so heavy I don't think it will twist. You should also check your bearings and spindles while you are at it.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
Retired Now

1984 31' International
Chattanoooga , Tennessee
Smile Tire Wear

Today I took the trailer to Central Texas Frame and Alignment near Waco, TX. They determined that both axles were bent the right front wheel was bent and the tire on that wheel was separating. It was a Goodyear Marathon. So I had the axles straightened, wheels aligned, bought a new wheel and two new tires. I hope I'm ready to go.

The folks at Central Texas F&A were very courteous and helpful. I hope that the work done was done well. While waiting there I talked with a trucker, Ron, from Canada who brings his rig here to get it worked on. He was very appreciative of the sort of work Central does.

Now I can get stated with week 2 of our vacation!

Thanks to all who sent me their advice. You're a great bunch.

Tags
alignment, tires, axle