Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Cocoa , Florida
Replacing propane fridge w/ electric

Hello all,
We are going to replace the fridge in our 28' 2004 international. As I see, we are not the only streamers that are just not happy with the factory fridge. We NEVER boondock and that seems to be the only reason to have propane. The dometic is 55". I bought a 43" electric, whitch will leave 12" of space that is perfect for a microwave. Has anyone done this???? Are there any surprises that I'm not seeing??
Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

Ben
Bhkh226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My only concern regarding a standard non RV refrigerator is the ventilation of the unit and the compressor and it's piping being up to the vibration and movement when traveling. For example I had a little fridge in my office close to my desk. If I hit that with my foot, all the tubing and compressor would shake. It seemed to be on some type of suspension that was floating. I could guarantee you that something would break eventually if that unit was in an RV.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Be 'electric' do you mean a 120VAC residential fridge or a 12VDC marine unit with a Danfoss compressor?

You are looking at major differences between the two, as I have posted on many occasions: one will run directly from your batteries and is extremely durable, efficient and works up to 30 degrees off level.

The other is made for static use in a house and requires a continual supply of 120VAC to operate.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you use an electric home stile refrigerator, be sure it has visible coils on the back. It is common today to use the sides and top of the smaller refrigerators as the heat dissipation surface, and if tucked closely into a small space that can't happen. Most of them say "free standing only" or something like 2 to 4 inches needed on each side and top. Any with coils on the back are fine.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Vermilion , Ohio
The home refrigerator is much more efficient. I put a apartment model in my airstream about 7 or 8 years ago thinking that it would only last 3 or 4 years and I would have to replace it, but it's still running and works great. I live in Ohio and it sits all winter. They also don't generate anywhere near the heat that a RV fridge does.

Mike
Miko38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #6

1973 23' Safari
Seminole , Florida
Thanks for the question and feedback.

Do the home models keep food cold enough while in transit? Does anyone run the refrigerator of their inverter?
NachoDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
No way to properly secure house style fridge also no locking doors. Go down a bumpy road you could end up with anything from a broken jar of pickles to a fridge that has slid out of its hole smashed into the kitchen counter and flipped onto its side.
bellastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but a marine fridge has locking doors, is built to take the abuse, works 30 deg. off level, holds temps extremely well and RUNS ON 12 VDC DIRECTLY.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko38 View Post
The home refrigerator is much more efficient. I put a apartment model in my airstream about 7 or 8 years ago thinking that it would only last 3 or 4 years and I would have to replace it, but it's still running and works great. I live in Ohio and it sits all winter. They also don't generate anywhere near the heat that a RV fridge does.

Mike
What brand Apartment Fridge did you get?

Thanks,
Karl
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Does it not already have a microwave? The 12V marine fridge is not a bad idea. I don't how much they cost compared to a Dometic? A house fridge is very limiting for the reasons already stated above.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhkh226 View Post
Hello all,
We are going to replace the fridge in our 28' 2004 international. As I see, we are not the only streamers that are just not happy with the factory fridge. We NEVER boondock and that seems to be the only reason to have propane. The dometic is 55". I bought a 43" electric, whitch will leave 12" of space that is perfect for a microwave. Has anyone done this???? Are there any surprises that I'm not seeing??

Ben
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:26 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Replacing propane frig W/Electric

Had OEM propane frig in my 1958 22' Caravanner. Did not even try to fire it up because, due to its age, felt it would not be dependable and parts replacement would be nearly impossible. Bought 3.1 cu ft 2 door 110v frig but will likely not use it. Became interested in a YETI ice chest but to get a decent volume they were stupidly expensive. Bought 2.5 sheets ridged foam 2" thick (R 10 each 2 " thickness) and will double to 4 " all 6 finished thicknesses ( R 20?) Top opens which is most efficient to prevent loss of chilled air inside. Approximate exterior size L:48"x W:24"x H:32". = 6,528 sq. ins. = 45 sq. ft. Interior L: 40" W: 16" H: 28" = 17,920 cu. ins. = 10.4 cu.ft. A movable insert divider inside can adjust interior volume to save on ice ( also adjustable to contents volume changes.) Will have a copper liner inside w/ball valve drain soldered in place. One by two wood frame on bottom and on 4 upright corners. Double rubber top seals recessed half way into the foam. Top held in place with heavy duty rubber cargo tie downs. Foam: 15 pounds , copper: 22 pounds, wood: 5 pounds, seals and straps: 4 pounds and with handles about 50 pounds total weight. Cost: approx $200. Expect 20 pounds block ice will last 2+ weeks. With 4 wheels will roll it out under the awning for one heck of a beer cooler. It sits at counter height of 34" and may have a cutting board top. My ice chest will sit curbside aft of door (yes both closet walls have been removed) Oh, forgot to mention YETI 250 chest is about 6.6 cu ft. inside volume @ $899.99 and 40 sq. ft. Mine is 75% of the interior volume of a YETI 420 which costs $1,399.99. I intend on buying 40 pounds of ice = 4 pack of 10 pound blocks.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:54 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Cocoa , Florida
Thanks everyone, we put the 110 volt in yesterday. It's a 4.1 cubic ft fridge. It's a bit smaller than the dometic so there is plenty of space on all sides for ventilation. There is a little bit of trim work to be done, but looks good so far. The condensing coils are sealed in the back, so there's not much I can do about that. My international did not come with microwave so this helps with space. I am going to rebuild the dometic and post it for sale,If this works like I think it will.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Vermilion , Ohio
I can't remember which brand it was. I bought it at lowes. They sell a refridgerator about the same size as a RV unit. Most RV refrigerators run on gas or 110V. A 12V one would be nice because you could cool it down while you traveled. I never liked to travel with the gas left on ( a whole different discussion) I run a bungee cord across the front of the fridge while traveling and never had a door come open. I think you will be very happy with your 110 fridge.
Mike
Miko38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Cocoa , Florida
Thanks mike and all you "streamers". Spent the weekend getting it fit-in. A little molding here and there and off we go!! It was 93* here in Cocoa fl and it only took 1 hour to cool down. So far, so good.
BTW. it has PLEANTY of ventilation in back. I can't believe something is working in my favor for once!
Old 06-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Replacing propane fridge w/ electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhkh226 View Post
Hello all,

Ben

Surprises?

IMO, you've significantly decreased the value of your still "new" Airstream to a buyer. Doesn't matter whether one plans to sell or not, it's the wrong path to take.

The water and propane systems are the heart of an RV. Compromise them and the cost to restore them is high to the next person. That one does not presently boondock does not mean one never will. An ice chest is no substitute.

Next would be a window A/C unit. Old bedsheets for "curtains" Etc.

This is the path a deteriorating trailer undertakes as successive owners keep expenditures to their minimum. A flashing warning light to others about obvious and HIDDEN problems.

A quality electric as Lewster tried to point out, is the "right" way to go.

The "surprise" is the lowered appraised value. Which is a good deal greater than the cost of proper equipment.

Keep this in mind as you go along.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Surprises?

IMO, you've significantly decreased the value of your still "new" Airstream to a buyer. Doesn't matter whether one plans to sell or not, it's the wrong path to take.

The water and propane systems are the heart of an RV. Compromise them and the cost to restore them is high to the next person. That one does not presently boondock does not mean one never will. An ice chest is no substitute.

Next would be a window A/C unit. Etc.

This is the path a deteriorating trailer undertakes as successive owners keep expenditures to their minimum. A flashing warning light to others about obvious and hidden problems.

A quality electric as Lewster tried to point out, is the "right" way to go.

The "surprise" is the lowered appraised value. Which is a good deal greater than the cost of proper equipment.

I really wanted to say this, but I was biting my tongue not to sound rude. The previous owner of my AS pulled out the fridge put in a 110 apartment fridge. It cost me over $1500 bux to repair the propane system and replace the fridge. This included redoing the cabinet surrounding the fridge that was ruined by installing the 110v unit. This cost was with me doing all the labor. IMO not a good idea.
bellastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Ours had an apartment fridge when we bought it. Ran it for 13 years and just replaced it, because it was looking a bit crusty. We found a new apartment style fridge for $365 and are quite happy with it. Cools real nice.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Which apartment fridge did you get?

We are debating between the Haier 10 cu ft and the Whirlpool 10 cu ft from Lowes or the Vissani 10 cu ft and Frigidaire 10 cu ft from Home Depot.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote