Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Replacing Oven Vent

I recently ordered a Stainless Steel Vent from Airstream to replace the ugly plastic one, but want to make sure I do it correctly so that it doesn't leak. Any tips? It looks a little more involved than I anticipated. I just figured I would remove the plastic one and slide in the SS one, but there seems to be some sort of putty on the backside. Just wondered if anyone on the forums has tackled this project? I've tried a couple of different searches but no luck.
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
As I recall, I filled the backside perimeter along the screw lines with Vulcan. I then taped off the outside perimeter and sealed with parbond.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Okay. Thanks Rich.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I did the upgrade vent as well as the water heater and furnace doors. The stainless steel looks so much better. Now, about that cheapo plastic outdoor shower panel.....
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
I plan to do this also but mine just arrived. I also ordered the sealant kit that came with several sealant materials. Now my question and confusion, in the box is a black sheet of foam gaskets that you punch out the one you want. One of them fits the stove vent.

Question are you guys using this gasket?

Confusion - I wonder if this sheet of gaskets came with the SS Vent or with the sealant kit?

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

I used grey butyl tape around the perimeter of the vent( over the screw holes) but before I installed the vent I used foil tape to seal off the edge of the duct work to the edge of the trailer skin, then I installed the vent, tightened down the screws and used
A razor blade (lightly) to trim the excess squeeze-out of the tape. Clean up with a little mineral spirits. No need for par-bond.
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I did the upgrade vent as well as the water heater and furnace doors. The stainless steel looks so much better. Now, about that cheapo plastic outdoor shower panel.....
BAB, I couldn't agree more about the shower door panel. Mine won't even stay closed when driving down the road. The wind catches the leading edge and forces it open, so I had to use a small piece (very small ) of duct tape to keep it closed. Now it even looks worse. I can't believe someone doesn't make a stainless steel outside shower door panel.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We upgraded all we could, also. Just don't let the stainless stove vent slip out of your hands. Leaves quite a scratch.
If anyone ever finds stainless replacements for shower panel and potable water covers please let me know! I would also like to replace the plastic electrical box cover on the outside.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
Crisen,
When I ordered the SS Vent along with the Fiamma bike rack, I also received the foam gasket sheet, so it's not part of the sealant kit. I believe it comes with the vent. Obviously, Airstream must believe all that is necessary is the foam gasket, I'm just not sure how well it will adhere to the aluminum siding. I'm just going to go ahead and use it, and them keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't leak. If it does leak then I may go with the butyl tape route that 0557 suggested (I was thinking this would be the better way to go, but the foam gasket must be "good enough" according to Airstream). Is butyl tape okay on aluminum? Thanks again for the replies.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or View Post
Crisen,
When I ordered the SS Vent along with the Fiamma bike rack, I also received the foam gasket sheet, so it's not part of the sealant kit. I believe it comes with the vent. Obviously, Airstream must believe all that is necessary is the foam gasket, I'm just not sure how well it will adhere to the aluminum siding. I'm just going to go ahead and use it, and them keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't leak. If it does leak then I may go with the butyl tape route that 0557 suggested (I was thinking this would be the better way to go, but the foam gasket must be "good enough" according to Airstream). Is butyl tape okay on aluminum? Thanks again for the replies.

Thanks, I was wondering, since if it had come with the sealiing kit, it might have been intended for the plastic vent only. While I don't have the plastic one off yet I suspect that the flange on it isn't quite the same as the one on the SS one. I'll probably do the same, use it and see.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Over the years, I have seen to many foam gaskets develop voids, either from the git go, or after some weathering....same for butyl tape (although not as much). That is why I like the flowing of Vulcum and the "umbrella" of a fine line of taped off ParBond. To each his own. This has worked best for me.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
This item is on my list to replace the JENSEN plastic exterior stove vent on the '90 Silver Streak (and I wish it were higher up as the cosmetic-only stuff is still a good ways away: i.e., "the fun stuff"), thus I appreciate the thread.

The fresh water hose inlet is another. Glad that some of the A/S stuff (even if "shiny" versus "matte) will/ought to work for this.

You can just make them out in this PO CL ad photo; stern-wards after second window from bow; high & low:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-13.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	182208  
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Over the years, I have seen to many foam gaskets develop voids, either from the git go, or after some weathering....same for butyl tape (although not as much). That is why I like the flowing of Vulcum and the "umbrella" of a fine line of taped off ParBond. To each his own. This has worked best for me.
Well, I got lazy and just filled the channel void all around with Gray Vulkem (Trempro) and placed the vent. Trempro pushed out of the screw holes and the edges. I screwed down tight using opposed screw tightening like a wheel until tight and then cleaned the excess with cosmoline remover. If I had room, I'd use masking tape and add a Parbond bead but the Vulkem is already there.

Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-129099642.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	182213  

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote