Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
1976 Sovereign

1976 31' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Replace or Repair Airconditioner

My 1976 Sovereign needs airconditioing. The unit runs but only has hot air. Last summer I was told that it probably had a leak and had lost its refrigerant. The repairman really didn't want to work on it. So it seems that I am looking at replacement. What are my best options? Thanks for your help.
CactusSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
You can certainly replace it if you can't get anyone to work on the original unit. Removing the AC involves removing around 50 screws and gobs of old sealant, then getting that heavy hunk of metal off the roof. You'd fill the screw holes with buck rivets and build a frame around the square opening to accept a modern AC unit. Dometic Penguin seems to be the most popular choice, but I replaced mine with a Coleman Mach 8. Either way, the install is basically the same.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote