Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Portland , Oregon
Repairs needed after thousands of topes (speedbumps)

After 5200 miles in Mexico and Belize, we need to do a bit of upgrading/repair on our 2007 Safari 25 se fb.

The spring loaded doors - has anyone discovered a latch for these. It is really disturbing to find everything on the floor.

The batteries won't hold a charge - even with everything turned off, the batteries only go for about 24 hours and the batteries were new at the beginning of the trip. Any solutions?

Any ideas for a replacement table? After this many miles of topes (speed bumbs), it wobbles something fierce.

Rivet replacement - a few of those broke loose.

Then in the "gee I never thought I would stay this many weeks in the trailer" department, how about a better mattress? This one is too soft, I have to turn it over every time I change the sheets. Is there someplace to get a firmer replacement at a reasonable price?

And looking at the list of questions, guess I can't complain given where we have traveled, the lousy roads, marginal electricity, not sure if it is propane, and all the other things that happen when you travel in the 3rd world.

Any input is appreciated. And if you are interested in where we went, check out our blog at furzwo.wordpress.com

Thanks,

Pat
Furzwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Hi and welcome home. That's a lot of bumps!

Several of the issues you mention have been encountered by other forum members. Check out the search tool on the upper nav bar and you will be delighted to see that others have already 'invented' the wheel where solutions are concerned.

There are a bunch of Airstreamers in the Pacific NW - hope to see you at a rally sometime

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furzwo View Post
After 5200 miles in Mexico and Belize, we need to do a bit of upgrading/repair on our 2007 Safari 25 se fb.

The spring loaded doors - has anyone discovered a latch for these. It is really disturbing to find everything on the floor.

The batteries won't hold a charge - even with everything turned off, the batteries only go for about 24 hours and the batteries were new at the beginning of the trip. Any solutions?

Any ideas for a replacement table? After this many miles of topes (speed bumbs), it wobbles something fierce.

Rivet replacement - a few of those broke loose.

Then in the "gee I never thought I would stay this many weeks in the trailer" department, how about a better mattress? This one is too soft, I have to turn it over every time I change the sheets. Is there someplace to get a firmer replacement at a reasonable price?

And looking at the list of questions, guess I can't complain given where we have traveled, the lousy roads, marginal electricity, not sure if it is propane, and all the other things that happen when you travel in the 3rd world.

Any input is appreciated. And if you are interested in where we went, check out our blog at furzwo.wordpress.com

Thanks,

Pat

Pat.

Contrary to some opinions, lack of proper running gear balance can contribute to the same problems..

Additionally, excessive rated torsion bars and/ot super heavy duty tow vehicles, also cause some of the sasme problems.

Your battery problems could be a bad battery or a cicruit on someplace that you may not be aware of, that is a constant drain.

Suggest you have someone check it out that knows how to use an volt-ohm-amp meter.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
If your travels take you through Orange County CA, check out Custom Comfort Mattress. I had them do an innerspring replacement for my 25' Safari-they matched the size and rounded corners. You can choose any style and firmness, at various prices (mostly reasonable).
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
What a cool sounding trip.

My only input to your problems would be replacement of the OEM battery charger if you haave not already done so. Get a 3 stage charger. My batteries died a quick and painful death at the hands of a single stage charging system.

Keep havin' fun and good luck!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Wow, having traveled both Mexico and Belize myself, I'm impressed your 2007 did so well. The roads, at least the ones I've been on, are murder. Wish I had some answers for you. But you have my admiration.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Portland , Oregon
There were days the roads were harder on our marriage than the trailer. If the TT hadn't performed so well, we would be headed for divorce court.

To read more about our adventure, check out our blog - furzwo.wordpress.com

For the moment we are hanging out at a beautiful RV park in Mission Texas waiting for a part for the electric jack - the main gear stripped early in the trip. Wish we had known to bring a spare gear. Being back in the US feels really great.

Pat
Furzwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Interesting blog. Ah yes, Orange Walk, Belize. I was way younger but remember it well. And some of the other areas you mentioned. You folks are my new heros!