Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
2006 16' International CCD
Front Range , CO
Repaired Airstream Sold as New?

I purchased a 2019 19CB FC new from our local Airstream dealer a few months ago (I previously had owned a 2006 16 CCD). I finally got a chance to take the new AS out for a few days in nice weather. It's been pretty hot yesterday and today and I noticed this seam weeping black sealant, just forward of the entrance door. Looks like it has been repaired at some point before it was sold to me as "new." Now that I look closely, the rivets are not bucked like all the other rivets on the trailer. No smiles or anything, just sitting a bit proud from the aluminum sheeting. Also, The "3rd" fastener (forward pop rivet) on the lower awning leg mount is not installed properly (and no sealant on the rivet head like the aft mount)... I can not use the awning in it's current state as the pop rivet has no purchase from the backside and is just sitting in the hole. This finally answers why the door will not close/latch properly after asking the dealer to adjust... and why there are gaps in the door when it is closed. Thought I'd share. Just another nudge to move me away from AS for good. Didn't know what forum to post in. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0274.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	366908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0275.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	366909  

trailerpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Not a good situation if true IMO. Maybe run your VIN through CarFax, they do a lot of traiiers now. I would also email [not call] the dealer about this, and call the Airstream 800 number in your paperwork.

Based on your observations, something appears to be wrong, and a full explanation is due you. If the repairs were done at the factory or the dealer before delivery, it may have been fraud not to tell you about them. [IMO]

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
It might be worth checking to see if the awning was a factory installation or after market. Contact the dealer - start there.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerpup View Post
I purchased a 2019 19CB FC new from our local Airstream dealer a few months ago (I previously had owned a 2006 16 CCD). I finally got a chance to take the new AS out for a few days in nice weather. It's been pretty hot yesterday and today and I noticed this seam weeping black sealant, just forward of the entrance door. Looks like it has been repaired at some point before it was sold to me as "new." Now that I look closely, the rivets are not bucked like all the other rivets on the trailer. No smiles or anything, just sitting a bit proud from the aluminum sheeting. Also, The "3rd" fastener (forward pop rivet) on the lower awning leg mount is not installed properly (and no sealant on the rivet head like the aft mount)... I can not use the awning in it's current state as the pop rivet has no purchase from the backside and is just sitting in the hole. This finally answers why the door will not close/latch properly after asking the dealer to adjust... and why there are gaps in the door when it is closed. Thought I'd share. Just another nudge to move me away from AS for good. Didn't know what forum to post in. Enjoy!
Not a good situation. Wondering if the 'repair was done by the dealer or factory. If done by dealer, was the trailer sold before? I wonder if it was ever registered/licensed with the state DMV or if state sales taxes ever paid previously. I'm not a lawyer, but I am aware that many states have laws that require a dealer to formally communicate to a prospective buyer prior to a sale if repairs have been made. The famous case on point was the BMW that had a repaired scratch - jury trial, $$$millions awarded. Good luck.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My salesman told me that trailers get damaged in delivery from the factory more than you think. If you order an Airstream and it arrives damaged, it's up to the dealer to fix it.
One reason why buying off the dealer's lot is often wise. You get to see how everything went together.
I searched inventories within four states. The one I purchased was three hours from me. I probably would have selected a different color ultra leather, but then that changes the formica too. It had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't, so it's mine.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard...👍

If the 'local' dealer refuses satisfaction, contact JC.
Phone & email,(keep a copy), include photos.
It needs to be repaired correctly.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
If done correctly with Olympic rivets, which are not pop rivets, the repair, if it is a repair, is as strong as buck rivets from the factory. Look up Olympic rivets here on the forum and there are photos about how they work. The head will look different than a buck rivet because it gets 'shaved' to smooth down the mandrel in the middle.

The door is separate issue since it is in a frame attached to a different structural rib.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Front Range , CO
Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Contacting the "local" dealer is a NO GO. I gave up on them when they stopped returning my calls regarding them "finding" and getting me the second set of keys that the trailer is supposed to come with. The whole interaction with my "local" dealer left a very bad impression on me. It seems that they are in the business to flip Jaycos and such. Airstream seems to be something they do "on the side." They don't seem to care too much about the Airstream side of their business, must not be much profit in selling them.

In regards to using my "local" dealer.. I'd drive out to New Jersey to purchase at Colonial if I had the wherewithal.

I guess I will contact Airstream and see if they will respond. Hoping that some type of fix would fall under warranty since it's brand new.

Here is a picture of the front awning mount for posterity. I am assuming that it is a special pop rivet that holds the front of the bracket in place. You can see the large gap between the mount and the skin. It flexes and is going to just get worse.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	366921  
Old 04-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Bogus work on that awning arm base plate IMO -- thanks for the photo.

Contact Airstream and get a specific email address to use, in order to send them photos and a thorough review of everything IMO. It will be better than just sending a new email to their generic email address IMO.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- See recent posts in this thread:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48...ip-200265.html
Old 04-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Contacting the "local" dealer is a NO GO. I gave up on them when they stopped returning my calls regarding them "finding" and getting me the second set of keys that the trailer is supposed to come with. The whole interaction with my "local" dealer left a very bad impression on me. It seems that they are in the business to flip Jaycos and such. Airstream seems to be something they do "on the side." They don't seem to care too much about the Airstream side of their business, must not be much profit in selling them.

In regards to using my "local" dealer.. I'd drive out to New Jersey to purchase at Colonial if I had the wherewithal.

I guess I will contact Airstream and see if they will respond. Hoping that some type of fix would fall under warranty since it's brand new.

Here is a picture of the front awning mount for posterity. I am assuming that it is a special pop rivet that holds the front of the bracket in place. You can see the large gap between the mount and the skin. It flexes and is going to just get worse.

Thanks again.
I don't understand the location of the anchor for that arm. 🤔
Do you have a photo with a wider view.

Both arms on our Classic are secured on the lower belt line screwed into a substantial backing.
I had to move our rear arm because it wasn't plumb.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2dbf.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	366930   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e0b.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	366931  

Old 04-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
It's a 19' AS, does that make a difference Bob?

Peter
Old 04-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Front Range , CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I don't understand the location of the anchor for that arm. 🤔 Do you have a photo with a wider view.
🇺🇸
Yeah, 19CB. Forward of entry door... The rivets are pretty much hidden when the awning is in the stowed configuration. I noticed it all the first time I deployed the awning...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	366936  
Old 04-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I'm not happy at all with what that dealer did. I would be calling Airstream right away and sending pictures.

Now Airstream won't do anything to the dealer, but they may send you elsewhere. Unfortunately, Airstream does not make their dealers even comply with minimum standards. I know. I've been to several dealerships and turned around and drove away. You have those that care and those that not so much. Airstream is only interested in the sales numbers, unfortunately.

When I told Airstream corporate about a dealer in northern California that was repairing their pride and joys in the parking lot, (no service center building!) Airstream just said really? Next year we went by the same dealership and there they were, working on customers trailers in the gravel parking lot. They have a 7 x 10 shed that held all their tools.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
If done correctly with Olympic rivets, which are not pop rivets, the repair, if it is a repair, is as strong as buck rivets from the factory. Look up Olympic rivets here on the forum and there are photos about how they work. The head will look different than a buck rivet because it gets 'shaved' to smooth down the mandrel in the middle.
This is incorrect.

Olympic rivets are indeed Pop Rivets.
They are not nearly as strong as a properly bucked buck rivet.
They are actually designed to mimic bucked rivets in appearance post shave.

ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:32 PM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
It's a 19' AS, does that make a difference Bob?

Peter

Yep...all the other pic's I've looked at for the shorter AS's show them attached right on that seam about 1' above the lower molding...why? They must have known they missed the rib.😡

Does the lower molding look as substantial as our Classic.
A longer arm with more adjustment holes might give the same height with a better mount.
I looked at a fully extended awning on a 19 and counted 4.
Ours has 6.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-30-2020, 08:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
This is incorrect.

Olympic rivets are indeed Pop Rivets.

They are not nearly as strong as a properly bucked buck rivet.

They are actually designed to mimic bucked rivets in appearance post shave.

ian

Buck Rivets are a two person process and the interior skin would need to be removed to accomplish that. Any repair utilizing Buck Rivets is more expensive because interior skin needs to be removed then replaced.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Repaired Airstream Sold as New?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Yep...all the other pic's I've looked at for the shorter AS's show them attached right on that seam about 1' above the lower molding...why? They must have known they missed the rib.[emoji35]

Does the lower molding look as substantial as our Classic.

A longer arm with more adjustment holes might give the same height with a better mount.

I looked at a fully extended awning on a 19 and counted 4.

Ours has 6.

Bob

[emoji631]

Hey Bob here is my trailer it looks much like pups I would hope that that rib where the mounting bracket attaches is wide enough so both rivets attach to it.
With my awning it does have 4 holes for extension, for the longest time I extended to the #3 hole thinking that was the limit. One day I phoned Zip Dee and found out about #4, no more hitting my head.

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	366945
Old 04-30-2020, 10:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Buck Rivets are a two person process and the interior skin would need to be removed to accomplish that. Any repair utilizing Buck Rivets is more expensive because interior skin needs to be removed then replaced.
I am well aware of this. Though I’m unsure why you quoted me in regards to buck rivets.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
I am well aware of this. Though I’m unsure why you quoted me in regards to buck rivets.

Ian

Just adding to the storyline. I’am unaware of what you know or don’t know other than what’s written. Lighten up.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . I guess I will contact Airstream and see if they will respond.
. . .
Please keep us updated, and good luck.

Peter