Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2020, 04:26 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerpup View Post
No, the interior skin would have to be removed to gain access. Thanks.
That isn't a bucked rivet. It is a large pop rivet. No skin removal required.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #42
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Please keep us posted as to the resolution of this problem.

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
2006 16' International CCD
Front Range , CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
This is incorrect.

Olympic rivets are indeed Pop Rivets.
They are not nearly as strong as a properly bucked buck rivet.
They are actually designed to mimic bucked rivets in appearance post shave.

ian

One of my major gripes about the whole thing. So, the trailer gets damaged before sale. Fine. Things happen. But wouldn't the right move be to repair it with bucked rivets as it is a "new" trailer? Seems that switching up the rivet approach makes it not "new" as per original manufacturers specifications. Interesting...
trailerpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
2006 16' International CCD
Front Range , CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That isn't a bucked rivet. It is a large pop rivet. No skin removal required.
got it.
trailerpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #45
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have been told by Airstream techs that one out of three new units coming down the assembly line requires some form of sheet metal repair. No telling who or where yours was damaged, or how. I had a dealer dent and pull out my front top center panel prior to delivery and not tell me about it. It was later pointed out to me by another sharp dealer. He notice an Olympic rivet dead center that covered the puller hole, that did not belong there.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:33 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
One of my major gripes about the whole thing. So, the trailer gets damaged before sale. Fine. Things happen. But wouldn't the right move be to repair it with bucked rivets as it is a "new" trailer? Seems that switching up the rivet approach makes it not "new" as per original manufacturers specifications. Interesting...
The problem is (and I totally agree with you) is that it is insanely cost prohibitive to do the repair right, not to mention I wouldn’t trust joe blow RV dealership mechanic to know how to do it right. Not that it’s necessarily his/her fault, they aren’t given the proper training, tools or pay to perform this level of repair.

A couple of the major issues here as I see it is:

1) what kind of shady dealer performs a seriously substandard And major repair and doesn’t disclose it? From the pictures it looks as if they left the neoprene washers on the Olympic Rivets, which most of us on the forum can tell you that is a rookie move.

2) How do these damages happen in the first place? That should be on the factory, under no circumstance could I see a trailer of this value being shipped where this is an acceptable outcome.

I’m enraged by your experience and if I were in your shoes I’d be demanding a full buy back, period. This is unacceptable beyond belief and you, I’m sorry to say, we’re duped by a dealer who is the reason dealerships have a bad name.

I am so sorry you have had this experience, get a lawyer, demand a buyback and the cost of your legal fees and start fresh. Im no legal expert but it seems that you are a victim of fraud pure and simple.

Who knows what other issues the dealership “fixed”?

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:10 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Repaired Airstream Sold as New?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Mine are mounted in the rub rail as well. However, that does not place them in the wood floor edge, but above the floor, directly into the bottom c-channel. That's a pretty strong location. Throught the aluminum rail, then 2 layers of skin, then the c-channel.

Side view of the rub rail curtesy of someone on this forum, don’t remember who. Hope this is a helpful presentation.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2799.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	366994
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:35 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Thanks AS, message sent.
. . .
Did Airstream confirm receipt of your message, or contact you for follow-up?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:40 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I don't understand the location of the anchor for that arm. 🤔
Do you have a photo with a wider view.

Both arms on our Classic are secured on the lower belt line screwed into a substantial backing.
I had to move our rear arm because it wasn't plumb.

Bob
🇺🇸
Hi, Bob; I don't know why, but the awning arms are mounted different on Classics like yours than on Safaris like mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000071crop.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	367012  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:57 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Yeah, I asked the dealer here to adjust the door and this is what I got (picture attached). Even with all the new marks the door will still not latch unless slammed loud enough to wake up the entire camp ground.

Hi, several of us fixed the door latch striker plate problem by adding a washer to the striker plate. Look where the latch catches on the striker; If it touches the striker where the hex is, you need to space it out with a washer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:56 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Try Windish RV in Lakewood

Quote:
I purchased a 2019 19CB FC new from our local Airstream dealer a few months ago (I previously had owned a 2006 16 CCD). I finally got a chance to take the new AS out for a few days in nice weather. It's been pretty hot yesterday and today and I noticed this seam weeping black sealant, just forward of the entrance door. Looks like it has been repaired at some point before it was sold to me as "new." Now that I look closely, the rivets are not bucked like all the other rivets on the trailer. No smiles or anything, just sitting a bit proud from the aluminum sheeting. Also, The "3rd" fastener (forward pop rivet) on the lower awning leg mount is not installed properly (and no sealant on the rivet head like the aft mount)... I can not use the awning in it's current state as the pop rivet has no purchase from the backside and is just sitting in the hole. This finally answers why the door will not close/latch properly after asking the dealer to adjust... and why there are gaps in the door when it is closed. Thought I'd share. Just another nudge to move me away from AS for good. Didn't know what forum to post in. Enjoy!
They are great to deal with and have a great and knowledgeable service department.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:21 AM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
They are great to deal with and have a great and knowledgeable service department.
Colorado>>>>Ohio>>>>> New Jersey.🤔

I'd choose Jackson Center.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-02-2020, 05:51 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Ringgold , Georgia
Hi Trailerpup, I agree with Ian. I would demand the dealer take it back and give you a full refund. You bought a new Airstream and shouldn’t have to deal with any of this unless someone is willing to compensate you for your time. Don’t let a bad dealership deter you from buying another Airstream, even though they have their issues they are the best trailer you can buy. That said, I wish Airstream would improve their quality control inspection process and vet the dealership network so dealers like this would never be able to sell Airstreams again. With all the complaints about dealers I see on this forum Airstream needs to way more picky with who sells their product. The dealerships network can make or break a company.
boatdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:43 AM   #54
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I really hope AS steps up and does the right thing. I’m thinking that maybe a trip to Jackson Center is in order. They should completely rebuild affected areas of your trailer, and bring it back to like new condition. It’s sad that the dealer didn’t disclose the damage, and either discount the trailer accordingly, or give you an opportunity to opt out. I need to go back to your earlier posts to figure out which dealer this is. Definitely not to be trusted.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdreamer View Post
Hi Trailerpup, I agree with Ian. I would demand the dealer take it back and give you a full refund.
. . .
This is sounding better with each reiteration IMO. If nothing else, making a strong demand like this -- in a letter sent by certified mail with return receipt requested -- will strengthen your negotiating position.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:25 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
No, the interior skin would have to be removed to gain access. Thanks.
Yes, but if it was mine, and the inside panel was under a seating area or cabinet, I'd think about carefully measuring and using a hole saw to open access to the rivet, then replace it with a machine screw and fender washer. I could later cover the hole with a larger piece.
Just a thought.
With all the issues the OP has, I'd make a trip to JC.
Don't spend your vacations being mad at Airstream. They'll do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdreamer View Post
I would demand the dealer take it back and give you a full refund.
The chances of that are slim. Once you take delivery, it's yours. It's the dealer's responsibility to fix it.

Denver to Columbus 1260 mi.
Does Vinnie's Northside do warranty work?
Denver to Sacramento, 1160 mi.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:47 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
With all the issues the OP has, I'd make a trip to JC.
Don't spend your vacations being mad at Airstream. They'll do it right.

The chances of that are slim. Once you take delivery, it's yours. It's the dealer's responsibility to fix it.

I don’t know man, this reeks of fraud. This isn’t a little ding or even just a dent, it appears an entire panel was (shoddily) replaced affecting numerous other aspects of the coach. It stopped being new at that point yet was sold as such.

I see this as a systemic issue where the fault lies with both Airstream and it’s dealer network.
Who controls the delivery network? AS or the individual dealers? If it’s AS, then shouldn’t the onus be on them to make the repairs necessary (or quite honestly, spend the effort to have a more fool proof delivery)?

If it’s the dealers responsibility to fix, they’ve obviously showed that they lack the skill, desire and integrity to make a quality repair. Which again, shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

I work in TV Commercials as a production designer and i have had vehicles shipped all over the the country (for car/truck ads) including several vintage trailers throughout the years. These are typically moved on special tractor trailers by professional haulers. I have yet to experience any damage using this level of transport.

If folks keep letting AS and dealers get away with this fraud and deception, then they’ll keep doing it.

This is complete BS and I am seriously upset about it and to ask the op to just deal with it and spend even more time and money to get what he thought he was getting in the first place is further maddening.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
Not a good situation. Wondering if the 'repair was done by the dealer or factory. If done by dealer, was the trailer sold before? I wonder if it was ever registered/licensed with the state DMV or if state sales taxes ever paid previously. I'm not a lawyer, but I am aware that many states have laws that require a dealer to formally communicate to a prospective buyer prior to a sale if repairs have been made. The famous case on point was the BMW that had a repaired scratch - jury trial, $$$millions awarded. Good luck.
That case was BMW v Gore. The US Supreme Court reversed the jury award in that case. I practiced consumer law for 45 years and handled a lot of cases against car dealers and manufacturers for fraudulent concealment of presale damage. These kinds of cases trigger outrage the in ordinary citizens that make up juries, and justifiably so. It is nothing but than stealing. That said, the unfortunate buyer in this thread very likely cannot file suit and take the cheating dealer or manufacturer before a jury to answer for their fraud. This is because the purchase contract, as virtually any consumer contract a person signs these days, contains an arbitration clause that takes away the right to a jury. Most people are surprised to find out that you can sign away your constitutional (Seventh Amendment) right to a jury, but it is a fact. You can, by contract, sign away any of your constitional rights. Imagine the uproar if folks found out they had unknowingly signed away their Second Amendment rights. We would be up in arms, pun intended.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Repaired Airstream Sold as New?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
That case was BMW v Gore. The US Supreme Court reversed the jury award in that case. I practiced consumer law for 45 years and handled a lot of cases against car dealers and manufacturers for fraudulent concealment of presale damage. These kinds of cases trigger outrage the in ordinary citizens that make up juries, and justifiably so. It is nothing but than stealing. That said, the unfortunate buyer in this thread very likely cannot file suit and take the cheating dealer or manufacturer before a jury to answer for their fraud. This is because the purchase contract, as virtually any consumer contract a person signs these days, contains an arbitration clause that takes away the right to a jury. Most people are surprised to find out that you can sign away your constitutional (Seventh Amendment) right to a jury, but it is a fact. You can, by contract, sign away any of your constitional rights. Imagine the uproar if folks found out they had unknowingly signed away their Second Amendment rights. We would be up in arms, pun intended.

Am I right in the assumption that RV’s do not have the same consumer protections like Lemon laws for lets say automobiles in many states?
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Most states have laws prohibiting unfair and deceptive practices in the sale of most any consumer product. Therefore, so long as an RV is not purchased for a commercial purpose, it is covered by the law.
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote