Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Refrigerator light not working

I don't need a refrigerator light but the wife is bugging me to fix it. I'm too lazy to troubleshoot it, so, does anyone have any easy tips for me? It's a Dometic propane/110v in our 2019 FC 28.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Just had to replace the bulb in ours. It took about a minute to do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
$20 bucks? Yikes.

I don't think it's my bulb. It looks good.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
$20 bucks? Yikes.

I don't think it's my bulb. It looks good.
Mine looked fine too. You get two, so you'd have a spare.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
OK. I'm gonna put 12v across it and see what happens.

The light in the 3-way refrigerator in my last trailer stopped working once. I called Dometic and they gave me some programming instructions and it worked fine after that. I forgot those instructions. If the 12v test doesn't work I'll give them a call.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Here's a mind-bending piece of information about RV fridge lights.

Under certain conditions, the light is used to *heat* the interior of the fridge.

When you are camping in cool/cold temps, the fridge will stay cold for a long time. Meanwhile, the freezer compartment is warming up. So the light is turned on, it warms the fridge compartment (which is where the thermostat is located), the thermostat kicks the cooling system on, and both compartments cool down.

I got that info from the Dometic service manual for the fridge in our 2013 25FB (model RM3762). In that model, a timer is started when the cooling cycle ends. If 35 minutes go by without a call for cooling, the light is turned on.

The corollary to this is, use the recommended incandescent bulb, not an LED. An LED won't put out enough heat to do the job.

If you never camp in cool weather, this won't matter to you.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Best upgrade we did was replace the bulb with LED. So bright an amazing.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Ok, that helps. I knew there was something strange going on with the freezer when the ice cream started going into a hard soft hard cycle. Thanks for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post

Under certain conditions, the light is used to *heat* the interior of the fridge.

When you are camping in cool/cold temps, the fridge will stay cold for a long time. Meanwhile, the freezer compartment is warming up. So the light is turned on, it warms the fridge compartment (which is where the thermostat is located), the thermostat kicks the cooling system on, and both compartments cool down.

I got that info from the Dometic service manual for the fridge in our 2013 25FB (model RM3762). In that model, a timer is started when the cooling cycle ends. If 35 minutes go by without a call for cooling, the light is turned on.

The corollary to this is, use the recommended incandescent bulb, not an LED. An LED won't put out enough heat to do the job.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:42 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:

On our reefer you can turn the feature off/on.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2d5b.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	364897  
Old 04-05-2020, 09:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
My old fridges; 2 of them, occasionally don't lightI . It is the switch
Worth a try to try flicking it
Your suggestion to check for voltage at the socket will give you a clue
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #11
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:

On the other hand the bulb’s heat melts the fixture over time. I had to replace the light fixture after 10 years. Portions of it were burned black.

To prevent a recurrence I installed an led bulb.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:37 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Mount Dora , stevenwilliams
When you check the positive and negative terminals going to that lightbulb, and the refrigerator switch on the door is working, do you detect 12 Volts? If not, I had the same problem. There is a small automotive fuse that is inside a small black box that you can get to from the refrigerator access door on the side of the airstream. It’s difficult to believe that they would put a fuse in a place that is so hard to reach.
If you do show 12 V at the bulb, replace it.
sburrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
On our reefer you can turn the feature off/on.

Bob
🇺🇸

Thanks SSquared, I did not know about the featured you mentioned. Since the heat produced is needed, I will not replace it with an LED. Besides, the door is closed most of the time and I can see well enough to find things when I need.

I have a 2006 with a RM2662 fridge. My manual says that this "switch" Robert referred to is a "Climate Control" switch. It's function is to act as a defroster under certain high temperature, high humidity events to prevent the formation of water droplets forming inside the fridge. It is not designed to stop the functioning of the fridge that SSquared shared. At least this switch in my unit doesn't do that.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
SSquared, thanks for the info!

Our fridge light does not come on at all...just an annoyance, we thought.
But it does explain why all the stuff in the freezer thawed out, back in December while we were at my folks' house for the holiday.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
So here's the culprit. Looks perfectly OK but isn't. Anyway I cheaped out and bought two Camco bulbs for $4.50. Only problem is they are 7 watts instead of 10 watts. I will report back when I know if the ice cream in the freezer is melting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad good looking refrigerator bulb.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	364997  
Old 04-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #16
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I've tried replacement bulbs of questionable wattage/amps that fit.
Even an LED that failed in 4 months.
This last bulb replacement, I got it right.
I'm not collecting frost on the fins in the refer side for the first time ever, over two rigs & 16 years. And yes, the bulb socket is showing signs of heat.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
You may be right. But I just placed the order so I'm going to give it a try.

I never thought there would be so much engineering behind a refrigerator bulb.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Some the switch is backwards. Check and see if it works when closed.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Middletown , Ohio
Fridge Light

Our fridge light issue wasn't the light turning on, but that it would not turn off. We began to notice the temp in the fridge was getting warm and the temp would not go below 50 degrees (we have a fridge thermometer). Remember your kid's question "how to you know the light in the fridge turns off when you close the door?". We discovered the light remained on. I thought there might be a circuitry problem as the schematic shows that it could be turned on to warm the fridge so that it cycles and continues to cool. But that was not the issue. Turns out the switch contacts were arced closed. I removed it and freed up the fused contacts, smoothed and polished them, and reinstalled. The light bulb and switch worked but draw a substantial amount of current (in order to produce heat when needed). I did not want a re-occurrence of the contact issue and replaced the lamp with an LED which draws much less and is not nearly as hot, but kept the old lamp in case it became necessary for the fridge to operate properly. That was 2 years ago. Still working with the LED lamp just fine.
RJKSr is offline   Reply With Quote