Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fort Jones , California
Red face Reference for repairs from Sutton RV in oregon

I have to get some roof leaks repaired on my '01 Bambi (leaks around AC unit and Fantastic vent fan). I want to hear from anyone who has had similar work done by Sutton RV in Oregon since they are the dealer located closest to me.

Appreciate your feedback..........j
Jack West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I remember a post about a guy in Corvallis that was the AS pro-from- dover, but maybe he just did body work; hopefully someone will chime in. I've heard of Sutton, but have not had any work done by them.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
toscanos
Coos Bay, Oregon, R.V. Dealer,New, Used, Keystone, Heartland,Jayco,R-Vision, Sales, Parts,Service Since 1966!
I have had work done at Sutton's.
I prefer the work and customer service at Porter's. You could stay in a yurt or cabin while getting your RV worked on in Coos Bay, too.
Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I don't know anything about their service dept, but I tried to buy a new AS from them recently and the experience was less than rewarding. I could actually buy an identical AS from a dealer in CA for about $2K less including shipping to the Oregon border.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
Old time AS finisher

I met Dick MacIntire (McIntyre?) this past summer-he normally winters over in Calif, but this year stayed in Oregon, not far (north) from Eugene. Dick is a premier finisher/refinisher of Airstreams, used to work for AS both in Calif, and Ohio-did warranty/repair work mobile for them for many years. He may not be able to make whatever repairs you need, but if not, he can steer you to folks in the area that will treat you right.
Dick's ph # is: 805-264-0972
ol' Bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
I met Dick MacIntire (McIntyre?) this past summer-he normally winters over in Calif, but this year stayed in Oregon, not far (north) from Eugene. Dick is a premier finisher/refinisher of Airstreams, used to work for AS both in Calif, and Ohio-did warranty/repair work mobile for them for many years. He may not be able to make whatever repairs you need, but if not, he can steer you to folks in the area that will treat you right.
Dick's ph # is: 805-264-0972
ol' Bill
Yup, that's the guy I remember.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fort Jones , California
Smile Repairs from Sutton RV

Wow, Mike and Ol' Bill thanks so much for the info about Dick McIntyre...I will call him tomorrow.

This is the first forum I have ever been involved with or participated in and I am very glad I took the chance. You all responded so quickly and with such helpful comments. My wife and I just traded up from a 16' Casita to the 19' Bambi, needless to say I am very disappointed to have these leaks to deal with and want a workmanlike job done that will let me sleep at night. I thought about trying to do the fixes myself, as I am handy with repairs (I build furniture), but I have such limited experience working with aluminum, it scared me off.

I really appreciate all the responses and candid advice.....look forward to running into y'all sometime down the road.......jack
Old 01-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
We purchased our trailer from Sutton in 2008 and was very pleased. We've never had them perform any warranty work but I have called their service department manager a number of times and he has always been very helpful in helping us out over the phone. We picked the trailer up in Los Angeles and on the way back to Louisiana we made several calls to his personal number, with questions on how to operate things. He was very helpful. I have to say we were very happy with our purchase. Most of all, it was a AS which had the exact options we were looking for and Sutton as having their end of the year close out. We have been very happy........steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
I've bought two new AS's from Sutton RV in Eugene, OR, and I live only 40 miles from the dealer. That may bias my opinion of work done for me over the last 6 years as they may treat customers who have purchased from them with better overall service . They've treated me fairly and did the work as I requested in the required time needed. We had a leak detected on our first outing in the rain around the front window. The factory did a poor job of sealing around the window and they fixed it promptly. We are currently on a trip to Baja, MX and during packing the trailer, detected a leak over the dinette, probably originating around the skylight. I will have a non-AS dealer look at it in Redding, CA, as I am going to have my brake controller upgraded, since it is not performing properly. I store my trailer under cover so would not notice a leak until brought out into the weather. I was surprised, but have read it's part of the problems one may expect on any trailer.
I've learned over the years of AS ownership, when you take it in, get an estimate on time it will require to fix it and approximate cost. Be specific on your demands of what you want fixed and describe the problem on paper and keep copies for your record. Then repeat this all verbally to make sure they understand what you want done. 90% of all customer problems are communication related. Sometimes it's the custommer's fault and sometimes it's the business fault. Make sure you give them your phone number to call you if there is any question regarding the service.
We will continue to use Sutton RV for our service needs, but I follow these same guidelines whenever I present it for service.

Good Luck

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
2001 19' Bambi
Fort Jones , California
I just had a nice phone conversation with Dick McIntyre referenced previously. He had very high regard for the work done by the service department at Sutton RV, in fact he told me that is where he took his AS to get it serviced. His former position with AS was involved with painting the AS trailers (clearcoat) so said he hadn't done any leak repair himself, tho' he Knew that Sutton did very high quality work in that arena. I plan to take his advice and give them a call. jack