Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
Gorilla tape. It saved me on the road when a rock hit the front window on my Basecamp and shattered it. They didn't offer the window covers then.
Also, Ryobi makes a tire inflator that i carry for low tires.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Robertson screwdriver...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.
When you think of all the frustration and grief you have lived with over the decades with Phillips screws and drivers (which should be thrown in the dustbin of history), all because Henry Ford wanted the exclusivity of the canadian invented Robertson screw with its square socket screw head (Mr. Robertson refused to sell the rights to Mr. Ford). What a missed opportunity!
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:25 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Spare fuses - all sizes, flashlight and batteries, good screwdrivers and pliers.
M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:46 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
Essential tools

Don’t forget the 6 ft. Lightweight step ladder, the 8 ton hydraulic bottle jack, the giant socket needed to remove the never lube brake drums, oh, and the special tool needed to remove the snap ring, a few assorted wire nuts, drill bits, a bucket, a bug sponge, one of those lights that mount to your head, extra hose gaskets, battery charger for your battery powered tools, caulking gun and tube of caulk, distilled water for the batteries, a one gallon gas can in case you need to refill the little generator, 9 x 12 camping carpet, 4 lawn chairs, . . .
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:15 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Ha ha, yes, it's easy to go overboard. But I think that I have a pretty reasonable kit assembled now.
switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
When I was setting up for the first time, I was preparing for a pretty long trip through remote areas. So I tried to focus on critical systems—what would I absolutely need to fix in order to get me somewhere where I could have something fixed? Then I picked tools that could do more than one thing if necessary.

My toolkit ended up pretty small. It fits in a small standard stackable toolbox that I keep in the truck, then I have another small shoebox sized one for inside the trailer. I did bring another large cargo box of spare parts and larger tools (e.g. rivet gun), but easily 75% of those stay at home now.

I brought tools that let me easily:
  • Change a tire
  • Service the hitch or related gear
  • Fix electrical problems
  • Tighten loose things (or loosen tight things) inside and outside the trailer (E.g. drawer pulls, cabinet hinges, etc.)

Other than specific-size sockets for things like lug nuts or anything that needs to be done quickly, none of the tools were specialized tools. The largest tools I carry are the air compressor (easily fits under the rear seat in the truck), the cordless drill, a set of quick-grip clamps (useful for more than just fixing things), a handsaw, and the breaker bar. Everything else is pretty standard issue. Small collection of screws and a good selection of adhesives (tape, glue, etc.). Biggest fix I had to do on a trip: reinstall the galley sink and fix the counter (which required a trip to the hardware store anyway). I’d like to think that that was an exception to the normal situation, but even that required only a few tools.

I’d only go the “bring more” if I found myself in really remote areas again—which won’t be for a while I think.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:15 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Lots of good ideas in this thread. The problem always is how to carry it all, along with all the other stuff you have to carry. You may carry a lot of tools you never use, but the tool you need the most is the one you need but don't have. As some have said elsewhere, there is always a Walmart, but the stuff at Walmart is crap and a limited selection. Think about what kinds of things you will actually do yourself, rather than have someone else do for you. How likely is it you will use a particular tool? Can you plan not to carry a particular tool and buy it if you need it?

As you travel you will fine tune your collection of what you carry with you based on what you actually use (or might use) based on how handy you are and what kinds of things you are comfortable with doing yourself.

A great write up on what to carry and how to carry it was posted by Jim Beaubeaux on his Living In Beauty blog. Worth a look:

https://livinginbeauty.net/2020/04/21/beast/

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Orange Springs , Florida
Outside diameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillfromWI View Post
If your socket set is 12 point you should have a 6 point 3/4 inch deep socket for the lug nuts. Or the Harbor Freight flip set if you want to use your wrenches on you tow vehicle.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=flip%20socket
Make sure the OD of any socket you purchase for the wheel nuts will allow access. I have had to try several before finding correct for application.
SPARKLE19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:08 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Franklin , Tennessee
I saw someone mention rivet gun and rivets and I am familair with aluminum rivets, what is an olympic rivet?
HikinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:49 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
Olympic rivets are the kind used to replace the buck rivets on the outside skin when they inevitably pop loose (and you find them when you are washing the camper). The inside regular/normal rivets leave a small hole where the post breaks off. Olympic rivets leave a stub/spike sticking out of the rivet head - no home for water to get in. You have to clip and then shave off the spike with a rivet shaver that is like a concave drill bet fixed in a drill. Then they look almost exactly like a buck rivet (but you can still usually see where the post was)

On the back, the olympic rivets have a 3 legged star pattern rather than a mushroom.

Get some. They are cheap. Then get a shaver. It is expensive. More expensive than a rivet gun and much much harder to find.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPeanut View Post
Then get a shaver. It is expensive. More expensive than a rivet gun and much much harder to find.
If you don't have that many to shave, then a Dremel can be used with good results. It takes a bit more time than the shaver (used in the aircraft industry).
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote