Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2016, 12:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
This sounds like it will need a shell-off job because the frame will have to be repaired. AS had a "stiffening kit" which, to the best of my knowledge, were gussets that had to be welded onto the frame after it was straightened where it sagged. This applied to the 31 & 32 foot trailers that had the rear bathroom.

Considering what you will have to sink into this project to do it right you may be better off looking for a 1983 or later (up to 1994) AS that will require less post-acquisition costs.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Sovereigns don't get much love,,,, but they do have the biggest floor plan of Airstreams of this era....

I like my queen bed, full 32" X 32" shower and the kinda large open space of my trailer, it would not have fit in anything smaller.... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1455544869.392420.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	257311Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1455544927.670195.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	257312

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I know this thread has run it's course and the OP has likely decided to pass on this particular unit but I have to add that just because a trailer has lived it's entire life in the desert does not mean that there cannot be floor rot or rear end separation. A lot of floor rot/frame rust is caused by ongoing undetected slow leaks inside the trailer from plumbing lines, connections and fixtures. One reason that the rear bath units are so subject to rear-end separation is that over the years, there are leaks in the bath area that rot the floor and rust out the frame. Anyone who plans to buy a 30 or 40 year old rear bath model should take great caution with this issue.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Mr. Morgan thanks trailer is a work of art! Make me want a sovereign.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Spell check sure makes me sound stupid😳
Old 02-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Thank you!!

We love staying in it!!

Brevi tempore!

Old 02-15-2016, 08:14 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glencoe , Minnesota
My search will continue! I resisted the temptation and walked away. I e-mailed the seller asking about who 'RV guy' was but i didn't get a response. I know the upside of the value on this trailer is minimal but that isn't the biggest issue for us - we primarily want something to enjoy. I'll keep looking for a project that is fairly priced that i can take my time with. Again...thank you, thank you, thank you for all the input and advice.
Everding72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:39 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glencoe , Minnesota
My search will continue! I resisted the temptation and walked away. I e-mailed the seller asking about who 'RV guy' was but i didn't get a response. I know the upside of the value on this trailer is minimal but that isn't the biggest issue for us - we primarily want something to enjoy. I'll keep looking for a project that is fairly priced that i can take my time with. Again...thank you, thank you, thank you for all the input and advice.
Everding72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
"Fixing rear separation is not hard once all of the interior and fixtures are removed."

Bless you, my son. Truly. Now, tell me:

What exactly is "rear end separation"? Whatever your response, I'm sure we have it.

We have a 68 Safari, now gutted to the subfloor. There's virtually nothing left of the aft-most foot of subfloor, and doesn't appear to have been for several years, though the unit was taken on the road somewhat regularly by the PO. Completely rotted at the rear. Standing where the bath once was and looking down past the maze of waste and copper plumbing traversing the rear wall, one easily sees the ground almost all the way from one side to the other. Running just fore of that is what I assume is the black tank. I have no idea what happened to the banana wraps across the back. Not sure I want to.

I've seen references to some sort of "connecting plates" at the front and rear. Is that the correct term? What are those? Is it something I should see as I glare at the ground from inside the thing? If so, it ain't there - at least not in the rear.

I don't intend to replace the floor until I've addressed all leak issues in the shell and windows but would like to start planning, acquiring necessary tools, supplies, sub-contractors and, if appropriate, despairing over the rear end, well in advance.

Jay and Lisa
splyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Rear separation is where the rear of the shell separates from the frame.

Usually the rivets that hold the shell to the bottom C channel shear or otherwise fail, and the bolts that go through the C channel and plywood flooring fail.

This is often associated with rear frame sag as well. It is caused by rot and years of being hammered down rough roads.

My fix was to remove the last sheet of plywood, to make a new C channel, to rivet everything back together, and to rebolt the shell to the frame and crossmembers.

I also replaced the last four feet of frame because of marginal rot where the black tank had been leaking.

I could have patched a small segment of frame, but it was just easier to replace a larger section.

I also jacked the sag out of the frame and shell and welded in a reinforcement that also serves to raise my trailer three inches higher than stock.

This might sound like a lot, but it all only took a few days. It is simply about putting things and then securing them where they should be.

A lot of the water that gets into the rear area of these trailers is due to separation, and then the water causes more separation, it is kinda progressive.

The plywood floor is sandwiched between the frame and the shell C channel, when it rots away, the shell "falls" into the void causing looseness and more separation. When the floor rots here, the bolts that hold the "sandwich" together get slack and they rust away.

Brevi tempore!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
I know this thread has run it's course and the OP has likely decided to pass on this particular unit but I have to add that just because a trailer has lived it's entire life in the desert does not mean that there cannot be floor rot or rear end separation. A lot of floor rot/frame rust is caused by ongoing undetected slow leaks inside the trailer from plumbing lines, connections and fixtures. One reason that the rear bath units are so subject to rear-end separation is that over the years, there are leaks in the bath area that rot the floor and rust out the frame. Anyone who plans to buy a 30 or 40 year old rear bath model should take great caution with this issue.
True, but living it's life in the desert (in my case) means the copper water lines never froze and are still leak free after 45 years, negligible sag and minor surface frame rust.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #32
1977 31' Excella 500

1977 31' Excella 500
Dallas , Texas
Went into it with my eyes wide open...

Yes, I thought/think I had an inclining(sp) of what I am into. Bought the 77 RB Excella 31' Feb. 5. Knew it needed a end cap segment, rear frame rebuild, frame stiffener, polish, everything inside the skin new, from water pump, batteries, fridge, furnace, inverter, plumbing, tanks, cabinets, ect.

Here is the typical rear frame. You know how it will go. Its worse that it looks. Rear crossmember, tank separator member, both tank straps. Then the frame supplements. And the replacement tanks (suggested used source on those?)

It's halfway polished and the new upper rear curb side segment being replaced. I kinda hope to take it camping this weekend. Haaa
Attached Images

Jack Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #33
1977 31' Excella 500

1977 31' Excella 500
Dallas , Texas
Something I may add, I think we need to recognize there is a simple element to this deterioration as well. What about the rear door seal. Keep them fresh. There is a large draft-driven wash coming into the rear of these coaches as they travel in rain.
Jack Moore is offline   Reply With Quote