Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Rats and Mice and Bees, "OH MY"

This thread is for re-builders to post repairs to stop "Rats and Mice and Bees" in our trailers. I'm working on my second rebuild of a Classic Airstream and have found Mud wasp nests, and mice trails everywhere. When Airstream built these trailers I don't think the problem was known at that time. When I redid the Bambi I found nests in the belly pan that were 4" thick by 24" wide. I've found lots of stuff in the 55 Flying Cloud as well.

On several of the threads on the Forums different people have listed their critter finds. I've worked to solve this problem in the Bambi and now the Cloud.

An example.
The ends of the main frame boxes are open to the air inside the bumper.
Large holes in the skin where electrical wires feed through
Large holes in the skin where gas lines pass through
The holes where wiring passes through on the clearance lights.

If you have an example, Ad it here with some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	End Cap removal 010.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	96835  
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
Well come to think of it! I have a few places that could allow entry and need a solution. Thought I would use expandable foam or maybe even brass or copper wool. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1999 Airstream 060.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	96837   Click image for larger version

Name:	1999 Airstream 062.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	96838  

Chasmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Chasmorgan, here is one suggestion. You can cut small rubber rings and contact cement or rivet them to the bottom of the trailer. If you use contact cement you will need to clean and ruff up the aluminum around the hole with a little sand paper. They need to fit tight. I'd put a little sealer around the connection to the pipe also. I've seen the same thing done with aluminum also. The aluminum can cause vibration and abrasion to the pipe or wire going through the metal and that's not good. There also grommets that are used for wire passing through metals. These are used on trailers, cars, and planes. However it is sometimes hard to find one that will fit your application.
Look in the plumbing department of the hardware store you may be able to find rubber washers there that you can adapt.Hope this is of some help.
Don
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I noticed that you have a mounting clip that has come un-riveted on your line. It's good to keep these in place. It helps prevent vibrations of lines as you travel down the road.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmorgan View Post
Well come to think of it! I have a few places that could allow entry and need a solution. Thought I would use expandable foam or maybe even brass or copper wool. Any suggestions?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
My biggest problem

Good thread Don. MY biggest problem...and its big , is mud daubers. I always had an awareness of them and problems with airplanes.....but this is unbelievable. I have 'em everywhere. I am planning on screening every opening possible. But, from what I have been finding that won't do the job. I'm at a loss. Any ideas? By the way, the good news is that I don't have any spider problems now. The daubers take care of them.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
I've spent the day replacing the belly pan on the Bambi. As I proceed I've been riveting tight fitting aluminum disks around all the openings for pipes and wires. No matter how hard we try critters will still find their way into the pan area. Because of this I am not putting in any fiberglass insulation, or any other type for that matter. There is nothing worse than the smell of mouse pee and wet insulation, and the amount of heat loss through the floor is minimal. If the floor is cold,wear some slippers, or as my wife says, get back into bed!
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi View Post
When Airstream built these trailers I don't think the problem was known at that time.
If you have an example, Ad it here with some pictures.
Hi, Airstream still doesn't know or care about these rodent problems; At least up to the year model 2005. I got a hitchhiker once, on the last day of my last trip. I used spray foam to fill the open areas in the wheel wells, front and rear. I sealed the area in front of and behind my steps. I sealed an open area where my tanks overlap. And I sealed the front frame ends; Originally with stainless steel wool and finally I covered that with spray foam too. I hope I have all bases covered.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1293 (Large).JPG
Views:	177
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	96877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1294 (Large).JPG
Views:	176
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	96878  

Name:	IMG_1295 (Large).JPG
Views:	178
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	96879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1296 (Large).JPG
Views:	161
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	96880  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Cats!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Bob, thanks for the pictures and the solutions. The hitchhikers are the ones we need to watch out for. Also having the trailer being dormant during trips is a good time for move-ins.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Airstream still doesn't know or care about these rodent problems; At least up to the year model 2005. I got a hitchhiker once, on the last day of my last trip. I used spray foam to fill the open areas in the wheel wells, front and rear. I sealed the area in front of and behind my steps. I sealed an open area where my tanks overlap. And I sealed the front frame ends; Originally with stainless steel wool and finally I covered that with spray foam too. I hope I have all bases covered.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I'm always happy to see our cat in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
Cats!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I'm right with you. Mouse smell can ruin a happy home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker63 View Post
I've spent the day replacing the belly pan on the Bambi. As I proceed I've been riveting tight fitting aluminum disks around all the openings for pipes and wires. No matter how hard we try critters will still find their way into the pan area. Because of this I am not putting in any fiberglass insulation, or any other type for that matter. There is nothing worse than the smell of mouse pee and wet insulation, and the amount of heat loss through the floor is minimal. If the floor is cold,wear some slippers, or as my wife says, get back into bed!
Tim
Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
oregon city , Oregon
I found the slots that the door steps ride in make a good access point for bees.They had worked their way in as far as they could go towards the front of the trailer.When I replaced the plywood by the door I put in aluminum baffles a couple inches from the step outriggers. Vulcumed them in good. Should limit any tresspassers to a confined area that could be hit with bee spray easily
Wetinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I've never taken a trailer completely apart to see the whole frame under the floor. I'm not sure that if mice get in the frame, can they go from there and into the other parts of the trailer?
Could someone who has taken a trailer apart that far give me their opinion on blocking the frame holes front and back and if it would cause more corrosion by not letting air circulate? I certainly don't want the mice in the trailer nor corrosion of the frame.
I'm thinking that maybe a screen of some type might work?
What's your opinion?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Another option on plugging holes is aluminum wool. It won't rust like the steel kind but is harder to find. Mice won't chew through it and yet it still allows a bit of air circulation.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Another great suggestion. Maybe someone out there can find a source for all of us.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
Another option on plugging holes is aluminum wool. It won't rust like the steel kind but is harder to find. Mice won't chew through it and yet it still allows a bit of air circulation.

Brad
FF
Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Good suggestion. The Bees will get in a hole as small as an empty screw hole. Vulcume is great for this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetinoregon View Post
I found the slots that the door steps ride in make a good access point for bees.They had worked their way in as far as they could go towards the front of the trailer.When I replaced the plywood by the door I put in aluminum baffles a couple inches from the step outriggers. Vulcumed them in good. Should limit any tresspassers to a confined area that could be hit with bee spray easily
Old 02-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
This is a good question. Here is my thought. On both of the trailers I've restored the main frame rail was a folded steel box frame. This means there is a very small seam that runs down the bottom of the box. This seam is open, but very small area. This should let for circulation of air. Here is the second part of my thoughts on this. Rats or mice in the frame will produce urine smell very quickly. Also the urine is very corrosive. So that protecting from short term smell, etc. is maybe more important that long time corrosion. Now if you live on the coast by the ocean this might be a different matter. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I've never taken a trailer completely apart to see the whole frame under the floor. I'm not sure that if mice get in the frame, can they go from there and into the other parts of the trailer?
Could someone who has taken a trailer apart that far give me their opinion on blocking the frame holes front and back and if it would cause more corrosion by not letting air circulate? I certainly don't want the mice in the trailer nor corrosion of the frame.
I'm thinking that maybe a screen of some type might work?
What's your opinion?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #18

1977 29' Ambassador
Kelowna , BC. CANADA
Mice Problem.......NO MORE I HOPE!!

I had some mice who decided to take up residence between the outer skin and inner skin. Did not find out until about 2.30 in the morning when they decided to come to life. I set traps and got two of them. Was told that moth balls are not popular with the critters, but I can't stand the smell.
Was told recently that if you leave "Bounce" laundry sheets all over the place in between camp trips they wont go near my beautiful Land Yacht, plus its not too bad a smell to open up to, and takes away from camp fire smell.
Cant wait to try it out.
Almost time to go out again soon in our beautiful sunny Okanagan countryside.
Weren't the Olympics amazing.
GO CANADA GO!!
anthut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Peralta , New Mexico
I'm new to the RV world, But I consider myself an old salt because i lived on a sailboat for ten years. During that time, I never had a rat or mouse problem but I did have a couple of run-ins with wasps, and ants.
Both times I used the same sollution, "BUG BOMBS". Drop one, and the problem is history, (of course there is the overwhelming smell for a few days) but no bugs ever again. I got rid of the ants in Florida, and the wasps in New Mexico.
Hope this helps
Dorian
TAC's unofficial KARAOKE Provider
DD.KARAOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Mickey Mouse update.

Hi, as the saying goes, "The Deeper you dig, the more you find". Well I have been digging today and found a few things that may, or may not surprise you. Under my stove is the furnace, and in this non-secure area are two holes in the floor. One hole is for the kitchen sink drain and the other is for the furnace to heat my tanks. [I think] I will fill the gaps with spray foam. But I ran out of time today. Under my closet is a huge hole in the floor that could be used as a Mickey Mouse freeway. I will show you how I fixed it. Finally there is another hole in the floor, also under my closet, where my water pump is. My pictures will show how I blocked it off too. Some spray foam will make the final touches there too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1796 (Large).JPG
Views:	149
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	97763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1798 (Large).JPG
Views:	152
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	97764  

Name:	IMG_1801 (Large).JPG