Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Windsor , South Carolina
Rating the skill set of Airforum users

So I was reading this thread a short while ago which seemed to go downhill fairly quickly when I read this by ‘InterBlog’:

“I wish there were a way to indicate relative level of technical competence so that responders would have that context available to them. It would save a lot of hassle.”

Now I will be the first to say I do not know anything about programming etc so this may be something that isn’t possible.

That comment got me to trying to think positive. Surely there is a way this can happen. My first thought would be a kind of voting system that the OP could rate the responses - like 1 to 5 wrenches or something similar. (Think something like on EBay for the purposes of knowing who was a good seller)

These wrenches could then be posted under the rivets. Or maybe it should be rivet guns rather than wrenches!

This could be a very useful piece of information as we navigate our various issues and repairs.

Just thinking.......
MTDSilver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Time Streaming is a good indicator.
Unless they be an engineer, then you can just ask, they noe it all.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I am sure not looking toward to be “skill set rated”.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2021, 02:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Does that come with a box of paperclips??
Old 03-15-2021, 02:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
There could be a process set up by the website whereby an individual could submit documentation and become verified. Then under their username it would indicate such. For example, verified diesel mechanic, mechanic, welder, electrician, etc.

The problem with this, and I think it's been referenced somewhat already in this thread, there are so many who have no 'verified' credentials, however, they have a HUGE wealth of information that is beneficial to others.

Hang around here long enough and you'll find out who to trust with advice and/or suggestions.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pleasanton , Texas
Overthink probably
Mbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I am sure not looking toward to be “skill set rated”.
100% agree on this I'm recently retired, happy to be in that stage of life, and I am ecstatic about the fact I no longer have to set/meet goals, be evaluated, rated, scored, ranked, whatever scheme you want to cite. I understand the objective, and it is a noble one, but I'm gonna opt out of the scoring and ratings part.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDSilver71 View Post
. . .
Just thinking.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbeech View Post
Overthink probably
Go camping . . . before this thread gets closed or deleted . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb So there is a way...sort of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDSilver71 View Post
“I wish there were a way to indicate relative level of technical competence so that responders would have that context available to them. It would save a lot of hassle.”
If you left-click on a users underlined name to the left of their post, you will see a drop down menu that says "View Public Profile". If you select that, a window will pop-up about that user. In the top right hand corner, there is a little blue/grey or 1-? green boxes. These indicate how many "Thanks" this member has receive for their posts.

Each member accumulates these green boxes by other members giving them "Thanks" by using the button below each post. I believe the "Thanks" button is a very underutilized tool that could help members judge the credibility of other members. I think each green box indicates a 100 (0 - ?? = 1 blue/grey box, 100-200 = 1 green box, 201-300 = 2 green boxes, etc) "Thanks" received...I may be off on the exact numbers, but it's close. Not sure if the blue/grey box turns green after one "Thanks" received or more. But the bottomline is the same, more green boxes = more "Thanks" received from other members.

To view your own "thanks" and any comments associated with them, you left-click on the "User CP" button in the blue bar above.

Maybe not as technical or as objective as you were looking for, but it is a helpful tool.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:41 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
There could be a process set up by the website whereby an individual could submit documentation and become verified. Then under their username it would indicate such. For example, verified diesel mechanic, mechanic, welder, electrician, etc.

The problem with this, and I think it's been referenced somewhat already in this thread, there are so many who have no 'verified' credentials, however, they have a HUGE wealth of information that is beneficial to others.

Hang around here long enough and you'll find out who to trust with advice and/or suggestions.
I couldn’t agree more. Spending my career working for a major ag equipment manufacturer, I have been amazed many times while visiting farms and seeing equipment that was designed and built by farmers with no formal education. There are several members that have already responded that I completely trust.

I am considering moving to a different RV trailer because of the uncomfortable seats in Airstreams. One of my biggest fears is how much I will miss this forum and the members. Truly unique.
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #12
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I will have to DYI this Post, then try to figure it out with a power drill, failing that will have the boss take over - she tells me what to do and how to do it anyway....
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:26 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Fort Wayne , Indiana
I like InsideOutside's comments. However, though I can see that many have thanked Shari for her comments, I cannot see others, e.g. ROBERT CROSS and his 3.2 posts/day leading to nearly 17,000 posts.
Randonneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And people are thanked for many things, technical skill being just one of many areas of knowledge.

Maggie
Old 03-16-2021, 10:47 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hampden , Maine
I agree with the "overthinking" part. People bring different skill sets based on experience with their airstream choice(s), ability to improvise/innovate, as well as resources other than the forum. What I have essentially gleaned from this forum is that there is usually not just one way to solve a problem. Take for example, the compressor thread. Folks would not be without a ViAir, others feel the pancake compressor is more versatile, with a significant price difference. There may be space limitations for transport one vs the other, or access to 120v when required, etc...It might be good for beginner to midrange airstreamers to spend the time figuring out what's best for their skill set, and not necessarily what is the definite answer to any problem. It also sounds a bit elitist to me.
airmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:13 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
I think it is an interesting idea. The problem is who is going to set up the rating system and implement a set of standards to gauge the skills of others.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
If you left-click on a users underlined name to the left of their post, you will see a drop down menu that says "View Public Profile". If you select that, a window will pop-up about that user. In the top right hand corner, there is a little blue/grey or 1-? green boxes. These indicate how many "Thanks" this member has receive for their posts.

Each member accumulates these green boxes by other members giving them "Thanks" by using the button below each post. I believe the "Thanks" button is a very underutilized tool that could help members judge the credibility of other members. I think each green box indicates a 100 (0 - ?? = 1 blue/grey box, 100-200 = 1 green box, 201-300 = 2 green boxes, etc) "Thanks" received...I may be off on the exact numbers, but it's close. Not sure if the blue/grey box turns green after one "Thanks" received or more. But the bottomline is the same, more green boxes = more "Thanks" received from other members.

To view your own "thanks" and any comments associated with them, you left-click on the "User CP" button in the blue bar above.

Maybe not as technical or as objective as you were looking for, but it is a helpful tool.

Shari
Wow!!
Lots of great info!
That took me to look at My Profile.
What is: Page Peel in Upper Right Corner?
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:20 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Clayton , North Carolina
What I find concerning is the wealth of mis-information on RV Forums., just like other forums that cover mechanical repairs or towing. Some responses to posts have scared me knowing that people actually believe the information or suggestion they’re reading and actually follow it. The Airstream forum usually has very good & helpful responses, usually.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
This issue has been problematic as long as there have been Internet forums. Anybody can say anything they want, and it's up to the reader to decide if that person's advice is credible and trustworthy or not. It's the same issue faced today major social media networks, and unfortunately the main stream news media. Some people choose to believe what they read on Facebook or what they hear on CNN, Fox News, etc. Some people do not.

Ultimately the advice that you get on the internet is worth exactly what you pay for it. It's up to you as the reader to decide who to trust.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Conner View Post
What is: Page Peel in Upper Right Corner?
I've had it turned off for so long, I forget exactly where that prompt is located. But as I recall, it causes the screen view to peel down from the right top corner for additional info of some sort. I found it way distracting...but if you can find that selection, you may want to turn it off as well - see if it makes your browsing experience better.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote