Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #1

1969 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
Putting my Airstream up on Blocks

I have recently purchased a 1969 Ambassador with the intention of refurbishing it and using it as a guest house. I have no intention of ever putting it out on the road. I had a friend who use to work in mobile home installation who recommended putting it up on blocks along the frame as a more permanent foundation. I like this idea as it would allow me to remove the wheels and wheel wells for more interior space.

I have read other posts about storing airstreams on blocks for short periods of time as a bad idea. Some indicate that the frame will twist and cause other issues. I would appreciate any thoughts on this subject.

A big thank you to all the members, I have enjoyed learning from everyone
Chuckcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Blocks are fine. I would put a set in front of and behind the axles and another set at the back and another set just behind the A-frame in the front. You don't want to put blocks at the very ends and nothing in the middle. That will mess up the frame.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Paris , Ohio
Hello,DO NOT use treated wood against any metal, it will eat it. Perry has the right idea on blocking it. Good luck
trapperman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would put a 2x6 (untreated) on top of each block with the holes in the block facing up.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote