Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2022, 01:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Laguna Niguel , California
Propane Detector replacement no power

My 2015 Flying Cloud was asking for a new propane detector, original Atwood not available so local RV supplier sold me RVCOLP-2 CO / Propane Alarm. Box stated to be replacement for Atwood. Removed old and hooked up new but now there is no power coming to the alarm in order to test it. Checked wires for propoer connection and fuses all seems good. Anybody encounter a similar situation and know problem?
Revery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Someone else had that problem, issue was an inline fuse that will normally blow when you hookup a new propane detector without disconnecting all power first.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Someone else had that problem, issue was an inline fuse that will normally blow when you hookup a new propane detector without disconnecting all power first.
Yep. You must take out the fuse BEFORE installing new detector. It is only a 1 AMP fuse. Doesn’t take much to blow it. Mine was a pain to get to. My wife was able to get to it. I was just too big. Yours may be in a better location.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Laguna Niguel , California
Yep! learned the hard way, my 28fc has the lounge in the front so the fuse was located behind and under the fixed frame of the couch (nice engineering). Since the opening is only about 10" tall and I weigh 215 lbs it was not easy exhaling and hold it while I crammed myself under the frame. But with prayer and persistence I was able to reach it and replace the fuse. Ace'd it on about the 5th trip under there. Next time I'll cut all the power first. Thanks folks hope this is helpful for the next guy that has to replace the propane alarm.
Revery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revery View Post
Yep! learned the hard way, my 28fc has the lounge in the front so the fuse was located behind and under the fixed frame of the couch (nice engineering). Since the opening is only about 10" tall and I weigh 215 lbs it was not easy exhaling and hold it while I crammed myself under the frame. But with prayer and persistence I was able to reach it and replace the fuse. Ace'd it on about the 5th trip under there. Next time I'll cut all the power first. Thanks folks hope this is helpful for the next guy that has to replace the propane alarm.
That’s where mine was located, only I couldn’t squeeze in there. Felt like sending a nasty letter to Airstream about their crappy engineering. Next time I am going to disconnect the battery. Then I don’t have to deal with the crazy fuse.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote