Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Portable power tools — giving up the green ...

I carry a Ryobi air compressor, great little tool for topping off the tires, and no bigger than a power drill.

While I like the tool, the batteries ... well, I've had a number of batteries go bad.

So, much as I hate to do it, I'm thinking of retiring my allegiance to the green and adopting a different line of portable power tools.

Key is battery happiness — I want reliability.

Any recommendations?

And has anyone had success extracting replacement batteries from Ryobi? My latest battery died just two months after purchase, with little actual use.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Lots of good ones. I personally use Makita and Bosch. Have you looked for batteries on Amazon?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Milwaukee fan here but they don’t have an air compressor I don’t think. I have a viair
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My makita 18v drill is 23 years old. I have 2 batteries, which I alternate. Drill has been used for household jobs, AS jobs, and my AS leveling jacks and Hensley jacks. In other words, it has had pretty heavy use. I am just now noting reduced battery capacity, but they still arent done.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:18 PM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I've been using this air compressor, https://www.dewalt.com/products/stor...lator/dcc020ib. It uses the same battery as several power drills and blower that I use. I've had no problems with the batteries thus far.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We use Makita and Milwaukee battery powered tools around the homestead with good success. Our 1/2-Inch drive Milwaukee impact is a phenomenal tool!

Since the TV is 12VDC we carry a Viair 400P for our portable compressor needs.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #7
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I am trying to swap everything over to Dewalt so I only have one kind of battery.

Batteries seem hit and miss. I have a Rigid oscillating tool and a cheapo Powerstroke drill. Both are over 5 years old. They may sit in their cases for a year or so between uses. They are always charged.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Lots of good ones. I personally use Makita and Bosch. Have you looked for batteries on Amazon?
Yes, I've looked for batteries. But I worry that the knockoffs will be less reliable than the Ryobi batteries, which have not proven to be trustworthy.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
Yes, I've looked for batteries. But I worry that the knockoffs will be less reliable than the Ryobi batteries, which have not proven to be trustworthy.
I dont believe this is necessarily true, but it certainly can be hit or miss. I ordered a knockoff lion battery for my dyson vacuum from an amazon vendor. I believe it to be superior to OEM in runtime (capacity). Longevity? Dont know as it is only about a year old, but so far, so good.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
Milwaukee fan here but they don’t have an air compressor I don’t think. I have a viair
For now, I don't need an air compressor, as the Ryobi is working, as is one battery.

Once this battery goes, though, I may be at a loss for air power on the road. So I'd like to find a brand that has an air-compressor option.

My drill is a Dewalt, and the same batteries run a Dewalt sawzall. But these are 18-volt batteries, and I think Dewalt has moved on to 20-volt stuff.

That said, the Dewalt batteries have not failed, and they are two or three years old.

None of my batteries are abused — never frozen, for example. But the Ryobis just seem to quit if you run them down. Perhaps the trick (not something Ryobi has warned about, though) is to stop and recharge before the battery runs out of power. That's hard to do.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
My makita 18v drill is 23 years old. I have 2 batteries, which I alternate. Drill has been used for household jobs, AS jobs, and my AS leveling jacks and Hensley jacks. In other words, it has had pretty heavy use. I am just now noting reduced battery capacity, but they still arent done.
Dang ... that's a pretty good record!
Old 01-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Nelson , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
I carry a Ryobi air compressor, great little tool for topping off the tires, and no bigger than a power drill.

While I like the tool, the batteries ... well, I've had a number of batteries go bad....

I carry an old-style bike pump. No batteries at all. Works great.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5060-6...=ANC00#reviews

Scott
sdwilsonsct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:32 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Makita and Milwaukee are built to be used for years. For woodworking, buy Festool. I have a Viair compressor. I have a substantial tool collection and do not buy cheap tools. If you are doing yard work, switch over to electric. You will not regret it. I did buy an Echo electric mower, and it works great on my 1/3 acre lawn. Get 2 batteries. People ask me, "How long does that Makita 36v blower last?" It runs as long as your battery supply. No gas, no oil, no gas storage or trips to the station, no spark plugs, no pull start, no clogged carbs, no hassles. Electric starts with the push of a button and it's much quieter and doesn't pollute. OK, now let's talk about Harbor Freight. I don't understand why people go there. The quality is low and the prices are high. Shop around, you can do a lot better.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Fullerton , California
Ridged tools, LIFETIME warranty INCLUDING BATTERIES (if you register). 18V subcompact set is $199 at Home Depot ($189 on Amazon). I do a lot of woodworking and have lots of different brands of tools, but the battery powered tools that have lasted the longest are Ridgid, in fact they’re all still going. The subcompact set (1/2” drill and Impact Driver) I have are probably 10 years old (maybe more), and the batteries are still able to do most things (not lasting as long). A set of 2 batteries is $168, so you might as well get new tools too (if you didn’t register for the LIFETIME warranty). FYI, I don’t work for Ridgid/Home Depot, just a very satisfied user.
NeahBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:49 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have been using DeWalt 20 volt power tools for years. I date all of my equipment. I am still using some DeWalt 20 volt batteries from 2011. The DeWalt air compressor discussed in Post #5 is the best and most useful that I have ever had. SuEllyn has a 20 volt DeWalt heated work jacket. She has had this coat for almost 10 years. She wears it every cool night down on the ocean for sunset. Another one of my favorite tools is the small DeWalt 20 volt shop vacuum that I have been using in Lucy since 2005. This vacuum was made for the bayonet type battery. DeWalt makes an adapter to convert the older tools to the new slide-in batteries.

I also use DeWalt 12 volt tools. I have the 12 volt drill/driver that I use for Lucy's stabilizers and the WD function on the Hensley. I prefer this tool because it is about half the size and weight of the 20 volt unit, and it does the job. My 12 volt DeWalt batteries are also over 10 years old. The 12 volt torque driver is one of my favorite household tools.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Redmond/Tucson , Oregon/Arizona
I assume the original poster was using Ryobi Li batteries and not referring to the older NiCd Ryobi batteries which were heavy, didn't have much of a charge life and would die permanently after a few years.

I use the Ryobi Li batteries and associated tools in my woodshop, house and trailer. For my use and the availability of different tools, the Ryobi is fine.

My contractor uses Milwaukee and swears by them. I'm buying Milwaukee for my son who wants to go into construction. They seem to be well designed and built to last.

Reviews on DeWalt, which used to be a industry standard, indicate a change in manufacturer that may be leading to lesser quality. No experience though.

Just my opinion.
davetoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #17
Lola78

1978 29' Ambassador
Federal heights , Colorado
I'm a handy man and have used De Walt for over 20 years. They get outdated or stolen before they die. Stay with the big brands and you'll be ok. Also look for refurbished. I get many of my tools that way. Never a problem. CPO outlet store.
Lola77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
Porter Cable

I have a set of Porter Cable 20v tools that are 7 years old, the impact driver, drill & reciprocating saw got very hard use for several years in home construction. I chose them because they were on sale @ Lowes the day I needed them. I did buy some no name batteries from Amazon for them that have quite reliable as well.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwilsonsct View Post
I carry an old-style bike pump. No batteries at all. Works great.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5060-6...=ANC00#reviews

Scott
I ride a bike and sometimes bring one along, so ... this would work.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasttocoast View Post
If you are doing yard work, switch over to electric. You will not regret it. I did buy an Echo electric mower, and it works great on my 1/3 acre lawn. Get 2 batteries.
I’ve switched to battery power on yard tools, except my chainsaw. My Ryobi hedge trimmer is excellent.

I have a Ryobi lawn mower, too, that works well. But ... one of the 40-volt batteries went belly up after short usage.

Those batteries are not cheap.

I’m going to try to get relief via warranty. We will see how that goes.