Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Your cost to remodel an Airstream.
$0-$2500 1 4.76%
$2500-$5000 3 14.29%
$5000-$7500 2 9.52%
$7500-$10,000 6 28.57%
$10,000-$12,500 3 14.29%
$12,500 and up 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
POLL: How much $$$ for your remodel????

I just added up the cost of our renovation to date for the insurance co. The number of receipts I had was amazing! The renovation included new running gear (axles,tires,wheels,shocks etc..) The exterior is almost polished, the badges, lights and vents have all been replaced. The interior received all new (or slightly used) appliances- fridge, stove/oven, microwave, HW tank and AC unit. The plumbing, as well as gas lines, have all been replaced as well as plumbing fixtures. The electrical system has been updated and a new Intellipower replaced the old buzz box. The sub floor has been patched, and all new flooring installed. The cabinets have all been refinished and the countertops are new. Also, the material items (curtains, couch cushions, etc.) have been replaced. To date the cost is just at $8k (and approximately 350 hours!) The last expensive item yet to purchase is a new Zip Dee awning and some other nickle and dime stuff, so I'm going to estimate the final total cost of our remodel at $10k. That amounts to $384.61 a running foot, not counting my labor! Our remodel was not about buying the best, most expensive things either, rather just what we liked and what worked. Mostly that amounted to "mid grade" products. How much did your remodel cost (or do you think it'll cost)? And what did you get for the money?
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Mine clocked in at over $30,000. What I got was an original-looking 1971 Sovereign, which is what I wanted. I was really tempted to go with avocado Kodel carpeting, but I asked myself whether I could live with it five years down the road. The answer was a resounding no. I got a new china toilet, but since it sits higher than the original (which was missing), I had a new vanity bench seat made. I got a new black tank and galvanized pan to hold it, new bathroom plywood, new carpeting and marmoleum throughout, new mattresses with matching covers, wall covers and sofa foam & upholstery. I got new seals for all windows and doors, new awnings all the way around and a new rockguard (the original Butylene one was missing). All the water pipes were replaced with Pex and I got new faucets throughout. The original Armstrong A/C was still running strong, but the shroud needed to be redone, so it was. I got a new fridge with a fan to vent it on hot days, a new Suburban furnace and a new WhisperKing water pump. The exterior whatchamacallit coating was intact, so no need to mess with it, other than to wash and Walbernize it. I also got original aluminum mags, new tires and a new polished rear bumper. I had a new TV antenna put in, and the wiring for the radio and speakers were there, but never put in, so they did that too, and built an original-looking radio holder out of the original veneer, which looks great. They also rebuilt the rear holding compartment with new aluminum sheeting, put in an AGM battery and I got a new Iota charger, which is completely silent. Since the galley had been butchered, I had an original galley shipped in from Texas and they reconstructed a new one out of mine and the other one. You can see the pics for yourself in my gallery. I think I posted the end results, I can't remember now. If they're not there, I'm on Frappr, and I know that they're there. I am, by the way, happy with what I got, now that all of the nitnoy problems have been fixed.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
If She Who Must Be Obeyed found out we would staying in a motel.
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote