Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Milwaukie , Oregon
Pointers on replacing AC / vents

Greetings, Airstreamers. Long time no post. Looking to do some work on the lifelong restoration of my 76 Overlander. Interior is stripped and looking to replace the old Dometic Quick Cool AC with a Penguin II. Also looking to replace the existing vents (I think stock with some crappy fiberglass added for ghetto sunroof?) with Maxxfans. I'm curious if anyone can provide pointers on things I'll need for this replacement.

Of note, I managed to find a Penguin II on the used market, but it was actually new in box (still had protective film) but did not include any sort of accessories. It's essentially the air conditioner (with the foam attached on the bottoms), and the air distribution box / metal plate with switches.

The other thing of note is I plan on doing white paint on the top down the line (I've read a few threads on this and haven't decided on a product but wonder if that will be necessary to do before or after, or irrelevant).

I'm guessing I need to get up there, remove the AC and vents, scrape off the bulk of the crud / old sealant, use some type of degreaser (?), strip the clear coat while I'm up there, and install.

Will I need to use any type of sealant on the new AC, or does the compression against the foam provide enough of a seal? Anything I need to buy from Dometic in advance? The interior is stripped and I plan to buy heat element / strip and tubing for condensation drainage.

Thank you for providing any info! Providing photos to show what kind of mess I'm looking at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9019.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	400926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9020.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	400927  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9021.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	400928  
JoleneAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Milwaukie , Oregon
Hey guys, sorry to bump my own thread. My mom is coming out to help watch my kiddos while I get the old air conditioner and vents removed and put on a new air conditioner before the end of the dry season here in the Pacific NW.

What's the best method of removing the old sealant gunk? Simple Green, Goo Gone, etc? Anyone have issues installing their AC directly to the rounded surface of the Airstream roof?

Thanks for any thoughts and sorry to be a pain.
JoleneAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:31 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
When I replaced/resealed the vents on my AS roof, I used an oscillating tool with a scraper to remove the old sealant.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote