Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuy View Post
It is definitely a Sovereign. The two stripes from the Galley Window to the back used to be blue and red vinyl but you can paint them easier if you want to get back to the original look. The bottom had a blue rub rail insert that you can still get from Vintage Trailer Supply.

Chances are that a lot of the plastic parts inside have dried, rotted, fallen off, broken, etc. Some are still available and others you may choose not to replace at all.

If no one was using the coach for 2 years and it wasn't properly winterized, you may have a lot more unseen problems that will continue to raise their ugly heads as you try to use the coach. You may need to replace all of your plumbing (lines, fixtures, pump). Even the holding tanks may need help due to dry rot, cracking, etc. So depending upon how much "Roughing It" you care for, using it after nothing but a good scrub may prove to be very aggravating. Hook up your water lines with a RV pressure regulator, then try all of the fixtures including the stool and look for proper functioning, leaks etc. If good, continue looking for leaks outside and under the coach.

Next give it a good spray with a garden hose. You're going to want to wash it anyway...but this is to simulate Rain. After or during your spray, you or someone else can be inside and look for leaks where you don't expect any. Leaks around the windows and door may be very evident and are treatable. But look for leaks all along the walls, ceiling, floor. Water travels and were it enters the coach may not (Most LIkely will not) be where you see it coming out. But it is a good indicator that you have more work to do. The last thing you want is to be sound asleep in the middle of the night when a downpour begins and you get more wet inside the coach than if you were standing outside.

BEFORE, I'd spend any money on axles, tires, exterior lights, etc. I'd get an overall assessment of just how much is really wrong and how much the total cost will be. How much can you do yourself vs. how much will need to be expert labor...etc. How long it takes is not the issue....that will be totally up to your goals and budget.. But how much you're willing to fork out needs to be determined up front.

Good Luck. Post photos along the way.

I'm sorry that kinda came off as rude
bellastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The interior looks nice. It has a wall oven. I think that AS stopped using those in 1973.

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
round lake , Illinois
The kitchen cabinets of my 70 are strait, also i dont have a access panel behind rear wheels roadside. Ser is also stamped into the tounge. Why gut? It's a last cause when you have so much of the interior there, just refresh or renew.
let's play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:32 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by let's play View Post
The kitchen cabinets of my 70 are strait, also i dont have a access panel behind rear wheels roadside. Ser is also stamped into the tounge. Why gut? It's a last cause when you have so much of the interior there, just refresh or renew.

Wasn't saying gut it. Of course you only do that if it was needed all I was saying is it's possible to do renovations in chunks. There is no need to have the trailer down for several years while you work on it. Look from the pictures that trailer actually looks in great shape. It is DEFINITELY worth fixing. People all to often take on a project AS tear it all apart and get overwhelmed, it's down for several years then it shows up in the classifieds gutted AS FOR SALE. We all make suggestions based on our past experiences. This plan and point of view has worked well for me. I hope everything works out well for your beautiful 70 to 73 31 foot Sovereign.
bellastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I've had two Sovereigns. I'd do this;
1. Seal the exterior seams with Vulkem or Gutter seal ( grey color). Seal around the vents and windows especially.
2. Check everywhere inside at where the walls meet the floor for soft spots of rotted or simply wet wood. If none found, celebrate. Look under the beds, couch, inside closets, behind everything you can get into to see if the floor is solid.
3. Check the rear bumper area for separation, by standing on it and jumping some to put your weight up and down. This is critical in this area as the frame can come away from the body here.
4. If all the above is ok move onto what you want to do inside. I wouldn't gut it, you create a whole lot more work and expense by doing that.
These are good trailers and a very usable size that you can have a good time with.

Tow it some and see how it handles, if the tires are up to it.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:59 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
GRAND CANYON , Arizona
Good Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellastream View Post
Do the work in stages. Make a list of all that is wrong and prioritize the list then every winter or off season get some of the list done.Every summer make sure to camp in it. This will give you a deadline to make sure it's ready every year and keep u on task.
This is probably the best advice on this thread. It is not to easy to tell from the photos just what the interior is like. But if it was kept up because someone was living in it, there may not actually be that much to do.
RadioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
Wow
Thank y'all so much. Great advice from everyone
As far as gutting it goes, that is only last resort. I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I would love to start using it this coming summer.
JunoRancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
OK
Everyone
I have identified by using the Vin Number that I have a Land Yacht, 31foot, 1972 model, twin with rear bath that was built in OHIO.
JunoRancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:35 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoRancher View Post
OK
Everyone
I have identified by using the Vin Number that I have a Land Yacht, 31foot, 1972 model, twin with rear bath that was built in OHIO.
That sounds right. In 72 "Land Yacht" was the trim line. The trim lines were standard, Land Yacht, and International. You then have a Sovereign model, Land Yacht trim line.