Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Permatex Thread Lock - Failure??

There are times when I want to do everything I can to prevent things from falling apart. I have used both blue (removable) and red (permanent) thread lock on various parts over the years and have never had a problem. This winter I had to repair a broken frame. Last week I bolted the axles back onto the axle mounting plate and used red thread lock on the nut threads and, for good measure, put a few drops on the threads that extend past the nut. Yesterday I was checking the brake wiring and noticed the red thread lock seemed to be wet. I touched it - it was wet! Anyone know how this stuff works? Has anyone had this stuff fail?
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
Yesterday I was checking the brake wiring and noticed the red thread lock seemed to be wet. I touched it - it was wet! Anyone know how this stuff works?
Anaerobic thread lockers like Loctite are "suffocation hardening". They harden in the absence of air, and are catalyzed by metal surfaces. So the fact that the stuff on the threads outside the nut is still wet is not necessarily a problem. (It doesn't harden in the bottle, either.)

Loctite sells primers for their thread locking compounds that speeds up the cure and I have used those in an industrial application. On home projects I just let it cure naturally.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
anerobic

Maybe just wait some more time for it to dry could be getting old. Also did you prep bolt before application, brake cleaner seems to work for me. Red sets like a motha, blue not as bad and purple wished I used this on my TV mount.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Anaerobic thread lockers like Loctite are "suffocation hardening". They harden in the absence of air, and are catalyzed by metal surfaces. So the fact that the stuff on the threads outside the nut is still wet is not necessarily a problem. (It doesn't harden in the bottle, either.)

Loctite sells primers for their thread locking compounds that speeds up the cure and I have used those in an industrial application. On home projects I just let it cure naturally.
+1

The portion that is exposed to air will never cure.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote