Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Pay it forward, donor parts offered for FREE(local pickup/packing&shipping fees only)
Yes, count me in! 17 47.22%
Undecided 4 11.11%
Not at this time 15 41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #21
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARYW164 View Post
It is not a dead horse, so far the yes votes are winning, and Bob the administrator did not give it the axe as of yet. Hence his writing "PM me the URL of freebie threads if you'd like to seed this", in his post.

What I'd like to know is why you are so against this. What's your motive? It sounds like a bit of fear mongering propaganda to me. You spend just as much time posting a negative opposing view.

It seems to me that we should just agree to disagree and leave it at that. Let other members have a chance to share their thoughts on the subject. Let's try and stick to the documented trail of facts regarding members not being able to find the "free" threads, without having to go on a time consuming hunt for them.

Mary

Mary - we move very cautiously when adding new section to the forum. Some things we consider are the true need for the section, whether or not another area of the forum will do instead, how much maintenance will be required by moderators to keep a section healthy and what the long term impact on the forum will be.

Currently this site has over 47,000 threads on various topics and keeping information organized is a daunting undertaking. Years ago we used discussion threads for for sale and wanted ads. Once the item was sold, a moderator had to close the thread and we had chronic trouble with folks posting their items and then not posting updates. To avoid this and the hundreds of outdated threads, we added a classifieds section. There is a category for parts either for sale, for free and wanted. I encourage you to use the classifieds as this was their intended purpose.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #22
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
If we had a dedicated central sub-forum category for these, more folks would have access to them without having to wade through the endless threads to find them.
We do have a dedicated sub-forum for those items. It is called "the classified section".

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #23
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Sticky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
We do have a dedicated sub-forum for those items. It is called "the classified section".
That's the problem, members are posting the items within threads, not in the classifieds. Or as Canoestream suggested tagging threads/posts, so people can find the information they need whether it's a free item or just info on a AS system/mechanical issue, etc.

Maybe the answer to more than one problem would be to post a informational thread with a "sticky" on the main page with a link to the help page regarding using tags. This would benefit all members, so that the search feature would be more efficient. Also to remember to post the "free" items in the classifieds, where it's easier for those who need them to find them.

My original intent for this was to streamline things and encourage the idea of helping thy neighbor in the process.
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
or maybe when you notice someone needs something you have, you can PM them and say "hey I have what you need. Can you send me your mailing address" I have done this countless times and it has happened to me. It is not only cool to get something free, but to have it come from someone you do not know, that makes it very killer. It creates strong bonds. It is called Airstream Spirit. Unfortunately the system you are proposing will have it all cleared out right away.

And now I want to thank :Sam, you helped me big time. Ed, my eyebrow is complete due to you. Rob, how many things have you given me? wow a lot. Marc, thanks brother. Scott, I am putting it on this week. Steve... you are my main man. Rick, it was so kind of you. John, my fridge works great due to you. Ken, I didn't need it and passed it on. Robert, thanks for the offer. Scott, thanks for your gift. If I forgot you, sorry and thanks a ton.

And who ever it was that sent me the 285 water decals without a note or return address, or anything... thank you so much. I am touched beyond belief. Wish I knew who you are, but your gift was so appreciated. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, thank you

If I sent you something, it was my honor and I am glad I could help.

Keep the circle going folks
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
remember to post the "free" items in the classifieds, where it's easier for those who need them to find them.
Sounds like that about sums it up.

I would not encourage putting give away items in a post in the forum. I did that on a car forum about four years ago and every summer I get emails from people who want to get the luggage rack I took off a car I don't even own anymore. Nobody notices the post is four years old when they respond.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Mary,

You need to chill, to some of us, your posts are staring to sound vicious.

Marie
Old 05-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Mary, pardon me but I've been outside all day. Got to make hay in the yard before the skeeters & gnats come out. Adding tags is something that thread starters can do. It offers a different alternative to any of several ways to search the forums.

Copy and paste the following in a Google search line: "cheap or free" site:www.airforums.com

That search brings up 189 Google hits for BLM-type boondocking in many states of the nation. "cheap or free" is a common thread title by which our rugged boondocking members find ideas. Now, you'd find most of those "cheap or free" threads in the boondocking subforum. It would throw the established system on its head to separate free camping from the boondocking area. That's going to be my point about parts -- free, reasonably priced or full retail. There's a system here that works.

If somebody takes out a crank roof vent to replace with a Fantastic Fan, the poor quality crank roof vents probably would be easy to let go for free. But one more likely would go to the "Roof vents, skylights & fans" subforum to find such offerings. That's going to be the stable, predictable system I will continue to support.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #28
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Nothing ventured , nothing gained

Hello all,

This has obviously touched a nerve in some. Life would be boring without opposing points of view. It will all be worth it in the end, if my suggestion bought to the forefront that members need to post their free items on one place "the classifieds". And that using tags is vital to the forums efficiency, for when others need to do a search. All ideas don't always play out like you imagined them, sometimes they work out in a new better way.

Thank you to all who are sharing their views, I do really appreciate your input.

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 05-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #29
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Hi Mary. I've been over-the-top busy. Finally got 'free' tags added to the two threads your reported.

Thanks!
That's ok, I don't expect you to be at this 24/7

I really appreciate the fact that you and the other moderator (Janet) have been very fair, informative, and shared your thoughts/feelings in a non-confrontational, caring way. It's clear that you are doing your job as moderators very well.

I never meant to create any trouble, but only wanted to help others find what they needed more efficiently. Since the post had so many views, I'm guessing that now a lot more members know that the use of tags would greatly improve the forums for everyone. So I guess in the end, my goal has been achieved.

Again many thanks for all your dedication to the forums,

Mary
Forums member #29232