Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Question painting new aluminum interior

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but after wading through many posts without a satisfactory answer I thought I would just post the question.

We painted the interior of our unit. In the front, we replaced two (missing) sections of the aluminum interior wall, so this part is then just bare aluminum. I would like to paint these to match the rest of the interior, but am not sure how to prime them.

Does anyone have a simple answer for this?
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
I my experience with painting metal body panels for motorcycles, cars, etc., Automotive type epoxy primers work well. They are designed to be applied to bare metals. Check with Carquest or similiar auto stores that deal in automotive paint and see what they might have. Most of these are spray type, but it may be possible brush them on as well.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaroam View Post
I apologize if this has been addressed before, but after wading through many posts without a satisfactory answer I thought I would just post the question.

We painted the interior of our unit. In the front, we replaced two (missing) sections of the aluminum interior wall, so this part is then just bare aluminum. I would like to paint these to match the rest of the interior, but am not sure how to prime them.

Does anyone have a simple answer for this?
You must prep the material your going to paint.

Not prepping the metal or vinyl as the case may be, will lead to a failure in your paint.

Even a primer, must have a good surface to bond to, and a smooth surface is not what you want.

Using 120 to 150 grit sandpaper, is a must.

Scuffing the surface, is not good.

The surface must be sanded and sanded, so the primer has a positive surface to bond too.

Then a good primer can be used.

Next, you must let the primer age or out gas, so that paint applications to it will also bond properly.

We have on display, and some members of this Forums have personally seen it, where a motorhome door was painted by us, using the above procedure.

The metal in some places is bent about 120 degrees, without any signs of cracking, chipping, or falling off.

There's no magic to painting aluminum. Simply prep the surface correctly, use very good primers, and then use a good grade of paint.

If you want to jazz up the paint, depending on what look you want, you can also clear coat the paint to give it a slick, glossy appearance.

DO NOT, ever use any form of acid on the interior or the exterior of an Airstream product. To do so, will allow some of the acid to remain underneath the rivet heads, that in time, will corrode the paint that surrounds the rivet heads.

If you want to do it once, do it correctly, and use quality materials.

Short changing the preparation and/or the quality of materials, will lead to an early paint failure.

We have seen them all, in our shop. Then to correct the paint job, results in a cost almost double that of an original properly done paint job, both on the exterior as well as the interior.

Very few paint experts, have any experience with aluminum, or vinyls. It's not the same as painting a house, or car.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Andy has alot of good info. re this topic. Be careful not to scratch the surface or these scratches will show through the new coating. Also you will be painting a non-ferrous metal (will not rust) aluminum, and will require a special primer. Some primers will have a negative reaction to the aluminum. Always buy the BEST quality primer, don't be cheep here. FYI there are primers that allow one to paint glass, ceramic tile any non-porous surface with out sanding. I paint for a living. Good Luck
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Andy
what type of primer should I use? And whatever it is can I use latex paint over it?

TIA
Old 08-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaroam View Post
Andy
what type of primer should I use? And whatever it is can I use latex paint over it?

TIA
A good flexible epoxy primer, works great.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Hi TIA, If you don't mind i will chime in here. I don't know if you ment type or brand of primer. Andy and i both live in Southern California, we have very strict EPA regulations on the paint products that are available to us.There are many coatings in the US that are not sold in our area. I only wish we could buy some of the paint sold in other states. I would recomend that you check with your local paint dealer, or an automobile paint supplier (not home depot), and let them what you are painting, they will recomend something for you. Re-Latex paint over the primer yes it will work, however latex paints do have there problems. They don't flow very well meaning more brush marks will be visable. If you plan to spray then that prob.is solved. The thing i don't like about latex paint is when it comes to cleaning. Any house hold cleaner ie: 409, fantastic etc. will make it feel sticky. Nothing beats solvent base coatings for durability, smoothness, flow etc. Hope this helps. I paint for a living.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
more help

Is there somewhere that I can get an acceptable product ordered online?

I have asked at auto supply companies and paint companies and they all have been looking at me like I have four heads.

Absolutely zippo results.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I worked for Land Rover North America for a number of years and we used Glasurit etch primer on bare Aluminum parts before painting. ( the body panels are Aluminum ) This is the same light green primer that you'll see on the door jambs of Airplanes as you board. You'll have to do some investigating but I wouldn't use latex over any of these primers.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
check out BIN primer...it is made by Zinnser and it is alcohol based,bonds to anything even normal window glass ,you can buy a quart of it at lowe's,and yes, you can topcoat it with latex,but I would look for one of the new generation ceramic water borne paints,,more durable,better flow out ,just better quality paints !!
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint