Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #1

1998 28' Excella
Sechelt , British Columbia
Painting interior walls and ceiling

Hi guys.
New to airstream ownership. Super stoked. Just bought a 1998 excellent 28’. And remodelling the twin bedroom to a queen.
I’ve removed all the vinyl and mouse fur and want to fill all the screw holes and have a semi smooth finish so I can then paint it all white. Any suggestions on the process. I was thinking of a thick type paint that will hide any imperfections.
Thanks for the advice.
Airyachting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Austin , TX
We just finished painting our interior a couple of weeks ago. We had vinyl walls and the process we used was...

1. Clean the walls.
2. Fill all holes with Bondo.
3. Sand the vinyl.
4. Clean walls a second time.
5. Prime with Kilz.
6. Paint with good latex.

We also used rattle cans to spray paint end caps and trim. Some of the steps may be different for your trailer so nice you don’t have the vinyl.

We’re pretty happy with the end result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0189.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	344327
JohnnyAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Austin , TX
Below is a more current picture after painting the shelf in the end cap and spraying the plugs and screens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0216.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	344329
Old 06-24-2019, 10:17 PM   #4

1998 28' Excella
Sechelt , British Columbia
Thanks for the reply. Yours looks great by the way. I did test about the mouse due and vinyl and have filled all unnecessary holes and primed everything. I’ll do 2 coats primer and a couple coats of a good quality paint. Then build custom bed frame (so my wife and I can sleep in the same bed). Lol. And cabinets. Wish me luck. Thanks again.
Airyachting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
Has anyone rattle can (oil based paint) painted end caps with long term success, say 10 years or more? I’m concerned about life of this.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
Look into options on Queen bed. We went from rear bunks to full (or short queen) using a hydrolic lift system, slats and foam mattress (from a popular Swedish company with many locations in California). We now have storage under bed.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Winterville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAustin View Post
We also used rattle cans to spray paint end caps and trim. Some of the steps may be different for your trailer so nice you don’t have the vinyl.

We’re pretty happy with the end result.

Attachment 344327

What did you do to prep the end caps for painting?
EPEisenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
Our endcaps are cracking pretty bad.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Austin , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPEisenman View Post
What did you do to prep the end caps for painting?
Sorry for the slow response. I just now saw your post.

I simply lightly sanded and cleaned before painting. I used a 120 grit sandpaper and I would now recommend using 220. The 120 left some scratches that still show after painting. They're not at all bad and you pretty much have to be searching for them to notice, but if I did it again, I'd use 220.

John
Old 07-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Austin , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjudy View Post
Our endcaps are cracking pretty bad.
Are you saying the plastic is cracked? Ours are cracked in the corners below the cabinet. There were also other cracks in various places. I used WELD-ON for ABS to repair the cracks. It contains MEK which will melt and bond with the plastic. There are other threads on the forum about using MEK to repair the ABS plastic.

My results were mixed. The repair to the bottom corners of the cabinet did not hold. Once a little stress was re-introduced, the filler cracked. My long term solution to this is to use a piece of aluminum angle along the bottom edge and provide a support arm running down below the window. The aluminum hides the crack and the support should remove the stress to those joints.

For the other cracks, the WELD-ON worked well. I had to sand down the filler but once painted they are not really noticeable. Since there's no significant stress on these cracks (they all tended to originate from where rivets were used to secure the endcap), I expect them to hold.

If you go this route, you should drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from cracking further and cut a V into the crack in which you apply the WELD-ON. Also, you should use protective gear. I actually purchased a full face mask/respirator off Amazon for the job. About $75 dollars and I love it. Works great, easy to get on/off, comfortable, and has been used a lot.

John