Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #1

Painting an awning?

We are renovating a '76 Argosy. The awning is in perfect shape but the colors aren't very easy on the eyes. I've read blogs about painting fabric and painting outdoor cushions, any thoughts on painting an awning? To do cushions, etc. you use latex paint, fabric medium and water. Curious if this is an option.
lindsaydavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Welcome to the AirForums!

I do not believe the technique would work on an awning. Awnings are by design water-resistant, and so your thinned water-based latex paint will not soak into the threads like a dye as they do when painting upholstery.

You say the awning is in good shape now, just an undesirable color. If you try painting it and it doesn't work the way you want, it will end up even uglier and degrade the value of the RV as a whole.

Better in my opinion to either replace the fabric with your favorite Sunbrella pattern, or learn to live with what you have.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

I vote NO

If your awning looks good after 35 years, It might very well be a Sunbrella fabric. Read up on it.

When I got my 1973 trailer, the awning looked terrible. A hose and 5 minutes made it look brand new. The claim is that mold will grow on the dirt, but not on the fabric. The fabric is " color through " so scratches won't show. I wouldn't mess with a very expensive awning
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
This makes 3 for "bad idea" - remember the awning gets rolled and stretched frequently. Cracking, flaking, etc. have got to be a problem. Hang lights under it - you can substantially alter the look of the awning with colored rope or led lights - there are some new ones that change color while operating.

New fabric won't be inexpensive, but it's less expensive than a whole new awning.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
This sounds like a disappointment waiting to happen.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaydavis View Post
We are renovating a '76 Argosy. The awning is in perfect shape but the colors aren't very easy on the eyes. ...
Curious if this is an option.
No, you can't.
When I bought my boat it had a black awning, I painted the bimini white, while it worked for me, it probably won't for you, bimini was almost permanently open, your awning would be closed each trip, I only painted the top center as I knew any repairs would be impossible with paint(white cool seal), I was right, sunbrella is stronger than the thread, and could only be sewn where it wasn't painted, but on the other hand painted the thread was still good as it was protected from the sun. Every couple of years I repainted, worked for 10yrs, and was still working when I sold the boat.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I would think dyeing it would be a better idea.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Welcome to the AirForums!

I do not believe the technique would work on an awning. Awnings are by design water-resistant, and so your thinned water-based latex paint will not soak into the threads like a dye as they do when painting upholstery.

You say the awning is in good shape now, just an undesirable color. If you try painting it and it doesn't work the way you want, it will end up even uglier and degrade the value of the RV as a whole.

Better in my opinion to either replace the fabric with your favorite Sunbrella pattern, or learn to live with what you have.
Protagonist, is Sunbrella fabric used for awnings sealed so water won't run through it? Is this the same fabric that is on patio furniture? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
MIKO
MIKO92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:33 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKO92 View Post
Protagonist, is Sunbrella fabric used for awnings sealed so water won't run through it? Is this the same fabric that is on patio furniture? Any help is appreciated.
Sunbrella is used on patio furniture, sailboat awnings and cushions, and awnings.

No fabric is truly waterproof unless it's rubberized. Water can seep through any awning fabric, especially where something is in contact with it. But Sunbrella is very water-resistant. But more importantly, it is UV-resistant. When exposed to sunlight, the color hardly fades at all and the fabric doesn't degrade. It's also dimensionally stable, meaning that it hardly stretches, no matter which direction you pull on it.