Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1957 26' Overlander
Alva , Oklahoma
Opinions please, contemplating shortening a trailer in a major renovation

I have been looking for an old airstream for quite some time now. What I have hoped to find is an older trailer that would go well with my restored 1957 Pontiac Star Chief, something from the same era. Also I want a short trailer. From what I have observed old, short, restored models are rare and expensive.

I have come across this 1956 Overlander. The seller told me it was a 1968, I knew it was not and thanks to the help of this forum found out what year it actually is.

I have been following the post by truckasaurus titled Shell off Transmogrification. What I am considering is to take the trailer pictured remove the shell shorten the frame & shell to about a 16’ or 18’ trailer. What are your thoughts on the idea? Has anyone shortened an Airstream or know of one that has been shortend?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0262.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	112154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	112155  

Name:	IMG_0271.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	112156  
Kirk T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Several of these projects have been done. This thread will get you started

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/cut-and-shortened-airstream-31076.html

There's another one but I can't remember the name of it right now. Someone will pipe up with it.

Personally that overlander looks like a pretty nice shell, I hate to see a '56 getting chopped up (you're into classics, so you know what I mean), but it's yours to do with as you please.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Indianapolis , Indiana
Are you nuckin' futs?
Homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Personally that overlander looks like a pretty nice shell, I hate to see a '56 getting chopped up (you're into classics, so you know what I mean).......
I would have to agree with Stephanie. To see a rig that has survived 50+ years with a clean shell taken apart and sectioned would seem counter intuitive.
From the pics it does, however, look like a blank canvas begging for a fresh start.
With a bit of sensitivity to its heritage you could build a neat one of a kind trailer.
I guess you could call it an Underlander.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Do a little fine tuning on that Pontiac and I bet it would pull it just fine.Just my 2 cents.
Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
You need to update your profile - it still says 1968

(Don't feel bad, I made the same mistake!)
Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I don't see how it would save you money to cut this apart and re-engineer it into something else. It's hard enough to just take one apart and put it back together again the way it was. I see '50s Airstreams come up for sale now and then, and most are either restored or gutted, either of which would be easier to deal with than this. I hear it said that it takes at least $10,000.00 to do a restoration or renovation. I would bet that this would add another $5k to $7k for the shell and frame and unforseens, so if you actually have a $15,000.00 budget, a restored one is within your budget.

"From what I have observed old, short, restored models are rare and expensive."

What about old, short & distressed, or old, short, and gutted? You are comparing this to a gutted '56, not a restored one.

"Do a little fine tuning on that Pontiac and I bet it would pull it just fine.Just my 2 cents.
Dave"

I agree, it would be interesting to see if it would pull this Airstream. Have you checked out the towing specs for the Star Chief? A 16' to 18' is a cute trailer, to be certain, and the re-sale is good, but so is any well-restored or renovated Airstream of that era. An 18' is a SHORT trailer, most suitable for short trips, and few people/ amenities/ hobbies/ etc. A 26' is a great size for any length of trip, and you can bring things with you, and take things home with you. It would help to know how you intend to use the rig as well, since length of trip and what you want to bring with you are an important part of the equation.

Regards,
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Alva , Oklahoma
Dave Park thanks, I updated the profile.

The wife and I went to Woodward, OK. this afternoon, about 75 miles away from Alva, bought the trailer and brought it home.

Easyride I keep that old Pontiac pretty well tuned, it has the 347cid engine with 3/2's and runs out pretty good.

Viking what you have to say makes good sense. I just like the looks of the shorter trailers, The 26’ length would be more useable and we do want to use what ever we end up with. I appreciate all the posts and will continue to post from time to time. Kirk Trekell
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA020298.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	112202  
Old 10-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Opinions please, contemplating shortening a trailer in a major renovation

Greetings Kirk!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

You might be surprised how much you would like the combination of your Pontiac Star Chief and a similar model year Airstream Overlander. While the Overlander may not have the immediate appeal/popularity of the smaller coaches, it is an exceptionally comfortable coach for traveling. In the days when both your car and coach were new, they would have been a comparatively typical match of tow vehicle to trailer. A restored/rennovated Overlander combined with your restored Star Chief and a few period accessories added could make for a great Vintage show vignette.

Something else to consider is that very few of the Airstream coaches below 24 feet have permanent beds. With the Overlander, the typical arrangement would provide you with either a double or two twin beds that could remain made-up at all times. It does get old, particularly on a long trip, to need to make up the beds at night and return the beds to their daytime function of seating/dining.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:54 AM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk T View Post
I appreciate all the posts and will continue to post from time to time. Kirk Trekell
Please do! Either route will be quite an adventure, and you'll get lots of help if you run into trouble, and folks here will just enjoy following along

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
I say "Go for it!" People remodel the inside of these trailers with no concern for keeping them original, chop away. I have a 1948, 33 foot Spartan Mansion that I intend to do the same thing to. Mine will end up about 16 feet long. I did see an Airstream on Ebay once that somebody had put the two end caps together with the door in-between making about a ten foot trailer, that one did look pretty stupid. Careful planning and sketches to scale will help you decide where to cut. Good luck.
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Looking at your photo, I see a couple of problems with your idea.

Firstly, it's a 50s trailer, and it just seems a shame to cut on one like that to make it into something that fits what you want, instead of just buying what you want. It'll cost you more in time and money to convert that into what you could have just got in the first place.

Second, it'll take two cuts, to keep the axle correctly positioned with any semblance of proper weight distribution. The windows would all need to be shuffled around, or deleted.

All that work, just to remove 4-6 feet that you'll just wish you could put back as soon as you try and use it

I'm not knocking your aspirations - just reminding you that it'll be harder than you thought, cost more, and that some people might not appreciate the results the way you do.

At the end of the day it's YOUR Airstream and you should do what you like with it.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Alva , Oklahoma
Is this the serial number that is normally on the title? If so is it stamped in the frame anywhere or is this the only place it is displayed? I have a title issue to deal with first. The title the fella had was for a 1968. I am confident that the trailer was rightfully acquired. An elderly woman lived in this trailer for years near Woodward, Ok. It changed hands twice after her passing. I don’t think her heirs could find a title and the first guy that bought it came up with a title for a 68 and sold it that way to the fella I bought it from. It used to be easy to get a title for a restoration in Oklahoma but thanks the chop shops it is more difficult. I think I will first send a request to the State to do a search for the original but I need to be sure I give them the correct VIN #. Kirk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	112243  
Old 10-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'd love to see photos of the Pontiac. My father was a Pontiac fan for a while. I remember a '49 blue fastback, '52 very slow 2 door sedan, '54 3 tone (tan and white maybe) hardtop convertible which may have been a Star Chief or similar trim line—it was beautiful.

As for the title, why wake sleeping dogs? Just transfer the one you have.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
[QUOTE=Kirk T;902544]
The trailer is yours to do with as you wish and I wish well in your endever, but bare in mind the below.

I agree with Overlander64, your star chief was made to handle this size trailer, and I believe that if you finished this in its current lenght you will be happy with the 2 as companions.
1) consider living space, gutted it looks like you have more than you need but once all the interior is added bath and all you will find that this trailer will shorter than you think.
2) if you are going to shorten this one is that you will have to move the axle to get center balance once you have cut out the portion you are doing away with this may cause frame issues.
3) also you have the fact of width, I may be incorrect but it looks as if the trailer gets wider in the center and the end caps may not fit properly as you move them back and the body gets wider.
Just a few other things to consider in your endeaver.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I think Sarge has a good point. It looks big empty, but gets smaller with stuff in it. Maybe you've done this, but if not, go to a dealer and see how short and medium ones feel.

Dave and Sarge have pointed out problems with shortening because of the 2 cuts needed and possible frame issues. Seems to me shortening requires expert metalworking skills. If you have them, great. If not, serious training may be necessary.

Having now looked up Star Chiefs, '54 had the chrome lines on the hood and trunk, '55 and '56 has 2 on the hood and none on the trunk, and '57 had none. I remember as a teenager I felt this was the singular thing that had distinguished Pontiacs. This may be off the point, but I see the Pontiac and trailer as a set.

Photos are of Catalina (hardtop conv.) Star Chiefs for '57 and '54. And I found the '57 pulling an Airstream. This photo was taken last year.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1957_pontiac_star_chief-pic-63573.jpeg
Views:	542
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	112281   Click image for larger version

Name:	1954_Pontiac_Cream_2dr_Starchief_Custom_Catalina.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	112282  

Name:	1957_Pontiac_Wagon_pulling_airstream_trailer-aug10But.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	112283  
Old 10-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Alva , Oklahoma
Gene, I have attached a few pictures of my Pontiac. I still have some stainless trim to polish and attach and front bumper caps and front park lights. Kirk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	112297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image002.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	112298  

Name:	Image009.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	112299  
Old 10-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk T View Post
Gene, I have attached a few pictures of my Pontiac.
Looks good Kirk. The '54 is forever locked in my mind as one of the snazziest cars my father ever bought, but the '57 looks nice too. By then Dad had bought a '56 Lincoln the size of Rhode Is.

Gene
Old 10-05-2010, 05:56 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
Please excuse my previous comment on the look of a ten foot trailer.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...eam-31076.html
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Alva , Oklahoma
Thank you all for your posts. After a lot of thought and reading your comments I have decided against shortening the trailer. I do want to use the trailer when it is finished so the room will be good. I have been sorting through posts and doing a lot of research. I hope I can learn to use the search tool better. I use the Diesel Truck Resource Forum and have a lot better luck with that search. Thank you all for your input. Kirk T.