Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
one way valve needed?

Hi,

I need to replace the brass pressure regulator in the water line from the city water connection (leaking - must have frozen), and I thought I'd just remove it, installing PVC in its place. I'd use a screw on pressure reducer at a city water connection whenever I hook up instead. Do I also need a one way valve in the line to keep water from leaking out of the city connection if I am using water from the onboard tank?

Searched for that answer but couldn't find it.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yes. What year is your Airstream?

This answer applies to 2000 model years

The original OEM cheap plastic regulator and inlet valve has a check valve (one way valve) in it to keep the pump pressure from leaking water at the fill port. The check valve is right at the water inlet on current models. Don’t put more than 60 psi water pressure on the Airstream plumbing system.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
2000 19' Bambi. Thanks - I guess the one way valve is built into the city water connector, then. It is not obvious, but I will check that out.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Check valve needed after all

Actually, what I found is that the brass Watts pressure reducer, installed by Airstream in my 2000 Bambi, has a brass check valve screwed into it. Removing the leaking pressure reducer removes the check valve, needed to keep water from leaking or flowing out of the city water connection if you are using the onboard tank and pump. I cut out the Watts unit/check valve assembly, and will replace it with a brass SharkBite check valve ($15). I'm installing a Camco brass pressure reducer ($9) at the city water inlet (located at my back bumper). The pressure reducer could be installed at a water spigot, instead, to protect any water supply hose as well as the onboard pex piping.