Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2022, 09:13 AM   #1
GatlinDave

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orlando , Florida
old airstream repairman in Central Fl?

good morning you all,
does anyone know of someone who works on vintage airstreams in the Central Florida area? I need to have an air conditioner installed, and also have the rolling gear checked out( pretty sure the axle is the original ). I have a 1966 Globetrotter, about 19 feet. I have checked with Camping World and with a shop in Deberry Florida, but both are hesitant to work on a model that old.(Am I correct in assuming the airstream’s in the 1960s were not wired for air conditioning? )Anyway, I would appreciate any referrals
GatlinDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
the Baybreeze AC unit was available in 65 & 67 as an option according to manuals I have.
i think they were pre-wired for this whether you got the AC or not.
Good luck with your project!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Robbins Camper Sales in Ormond Beach. https://robbinscampers.com
Talk to Doug in service. I'm not sure if they work on Airstreams or not, but I've had him work on other brands and the place is amazing. If they won't work on it, I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I saw in your prior post in another thread that you did not have a complete manual. You can download these from Airstream. There are two manuals available for a Globetrotter, for a double and a twin arrangement.
Double> https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...-manual-15.pdf
Twin> https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...-manual-16.pdf

I can't help you with advice on someone to install... Sorry.
If there is an existing air conditioner, changing can be done my any competent person. If there is no existing opening make sure the person knows that the space between the inner and outer sheet metal will have to be reinforced prior to installing the air conditioner.

If you look in the manuals there is an electrical schematic drawing. It shows a wire going from the electric panel that ends in the center of the trailer. That is not labeled on the drawing, but I am fairly certain that it is the air conditioner prewire that Dingo Girl mentioned. My 1973 had this prewire. Mine did not have a drain tube, so the condensate ran onto the roof.

You can evaluate the running gear yourself. Using a bubble level, level from a specific spot (you choose) on the wheel well opening, level over to the tire and mark a horizontal mark near the top/center tire directly above the spindle. Next, jack up the trailer frame so that the wheel is off of the ground. Place the jack the trailer frame, do not place a jack under the axle tube. If the tire spins, rotate the mark back to top/center then repeat the level from the specific spot you chose and mark the tire again. Measure the distance between the marks. If the tire is a minimum of 3" lower after raising the trailer, the rubber inside the axle is still flexible enough. If it is not, then maybe it is time for new.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lawrenceville , New Jersey
When I first read the title, I read it as you were looking for an old repairman that works on airstreams, not a repairman for an old airstream

I couldn't figure out why you would care about the age of the repairman
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:19 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
Air Conditioner Pre-Wire

Our 1967, 22-ft. came from the factory without an air conditioner. I had an air conditioner installed and come to find out the trailer WAS pre-wired. Wires were run and a breaker had been installed in the panel.

Greg Anderson
Monona, WI
gdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:23 PM   #7
GatlinDave

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orlando , Florida
thanks for the excellent advice!
Old 01-14-2022, 07:32 PM   #8
GatlinDave

1966 20' Globetrotter
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
When I first read the title, I read it as you were looking for an old repairman that works on airstreams, not a repairman for an old airstream

I couldn't figure out why you would care about the age of the repairman
yeah, I did word this kind of weird!
Old 01-15-2022, 01:56 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Sanders in Alachua was the go to place until RVOne purchased them
Check them out. If the original service technicians still work there you might be fortunate.
After the Sanders Brothers retired those of us with older Airstsream are searching for shops. Keep us advised what you find.
Go for the new axles. Any rubber that old is surely exceeded it life span.
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:16 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Montrose , Colorado
Just installed an AC on my 68 Globetrotter. The opening on the roof was 12 inches square not the 14 needed for todays AC. You will need to reinforce the roof to the new dimension.
If you change out the axel I recommend getting one with disc brakes. I didn't and wish I had.
ColoradoGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Unfortunately, Sanders service declined terribly. We had some work done during what was probably the transition. Nothing was fixed properly, not everything was addressed, and the inside of our AS was left in terrible condition...dirty and caulking all over the bathroom floor that I still have not been able to get up completely. Such a shame because Sanders was the best. We had a similar experience when RV One purchased Bates RV in Seffner off of I-4. And I've heard nothing but bad things about RV One from many other people.
ahillring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahillring View Post
Unfortunately, Sanders service declined terribly. We had some work done during what was probably the transition. Nothing was fixed properly, not everything was addressed, and the inside of our AS was left in terrible condition...dirty and caulking all over the bathroom floor that I still have not been able to get up completely. Such a shame because Sanders was the best. We had a similar experience when RV One purchased Bates RV in Seffner off of I-4. And I've heard nothing but bad things about RV One from many other people.

Totally agree. We were in there three months before the takeover and the work I had done was total crap. Might as well have burned the money.

Am following this thread hopefully…
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote