Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Official Airstream Service Manuals?

Do these creatures exist? I have to think the dealers are given some type of detailed service guides. Is it possible to purchase one? Officially or unofficially doesn't matter to me.

Given the lengthy waits to schedule service, DIY is often the only option, but "trial and error" approaches to repairs, even with the depth of knowledge in this community, can lead to expensive errors.

It would be great if these manuals were available to consumers/DIYers. Any thoughts?
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
https://www.airstream.com/owners/manuals/

Not sure what type of detailed service guide you would need. Airstream only makes the shell, everything else is made by someone else.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:09 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Airstream manuals are not worth much when it comes to repairs. Minor repairs can usually be accomplished with information readily available on the Internet.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:20 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post

Not sure what type of detailed service guide you would need. Airstream only makes the shell, everything else is made by someone else.

Damon
The parts diagrams are fine and (somewhat) helpful, the owner's manuals are kinda weak. I'm referring to things like torque specs on fasteners used throughout the Airstream, actual schematics of electrical and plumbing (versus tediously tracing it), proper sequence for disassembly and assembly of things like main door latches and hinges, and so on.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:40 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Following up on this - the short answer is, "no, there are no publicly available service manuals". Well, that's a bit disappointing. I did manage to change out the door latch mechanism anyway (it's a bit of a puzzle and a challenging repair), and all good. If anyone has to do this work, let me know and I can talk you through the steps.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I have an Airstream "shop manual" for 1976 trailers. Back then all dealers had these manuals, and I bought mine from eBay. Today, almost everything used by Airstream is outsourced, other than the body. If you need info on appliances, go to the manufacturers site. I doubt is every fastener in an Airstream is fastened to a torque spec!! The wheels maybe, and the A/C mount bolts, but the rest is by feel. If you have a problem, start on this site, and very likely one of us have solved the problem. If not, stand in line at the dealer, and let one of the "highly trained" technicians experiment on your trailer.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:11 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
I have an Airstream "shop manual" for 1976 trailers. Back then all dealers had these manuals, and I bought mine from eBay. Today, almost everything used by Airstream is outsourced, other than the body. If you need info on appliances, go to the manufacturers site. I doubt is every fastener in an Airstream is fastened to a torque spec!! The wheels maybe, and the A/C mount bolts, but the rest is by feel. If you have a problem, start on this site, and very likely one of us have solved the problem. If not, stand in line at the dealer, and let one of the "highly trained" technicians experiment on your trailer.
Ha. Exactly. I've worked on pretty much anything with wheels (and lots of appliances, electronics, and so on) and am 100% self trained. It has allowed me to accumulate some awesome tools, if nothing else!

I did indeed sort out the latch removal and installation, and it could have gone quite poorly if not for a blend of luck and experience. I definitely value the experience of the community and hope to be a producer, not just a consumer.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:50 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Columbus , Montana
Contact your dealer or Airstream Customer Service for Electrical schematics. They might have others for plumbing or others. My dealer provided me with the Electrical schematic for out 27" 2018 Globetrotter FBQ when I had issues with a 12v circuit. I believe it's the same document their service techs use. Very handy.
Ingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:58 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

During the Beatrice Foods era from 1972 to 1984 Airstream had complete service manuals for their coaches. These manuals in 2 sizes were absolutely complete. Anything and everything one could do to or with an Airstream was described in detail in these manuals.
The last known source for copies is:Helen Davis Secretarial Services PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365 (937)492-8885
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:20 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
Try the term "factory service manual"
hope this helps.
If you ever built houses, then a lot of the construction will be familiar, even electric, gas and plumbing.
But, yeah. Schematics would be nice (except for Brittish cars )
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:46 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthForkAS View Post
Try the term "factory service manual"
hope this helps.
If you ever built houses, then a lot of the construction will be familiar, even electric, gas and plumbing.
But, yeah. Schematics would be nice (except for Brittish cars )
Ha. I owned a British car and an Italian car. Fixing stuff on the fly doesn't scare me a bit anymore.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:44 PM   #12
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Offiical Airstream Service Manuals?

So Rick you already have a few cans of replacement smoke, you’re all set.

Enjoy!
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:36 PM   #13
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Go to Airstream Service online and look for articles on various repair subjects. There is really a lot there. Also, research back issues of "Blue Beret" for more repair articles by Airstream and "Blue Beret" tech help. Don't forget utube.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:10 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Simple answer is that no, dealers do not have anything more than what you can download from the web. Like you, they can call up the folks at JC and ask for this or that specific drawing. Based on the conversations I've had, you will likely get them faster than the dealer tech's do. Just how useful the drawings are .... who knows ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:23 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Plano , Arkansas
You can get all of you airstream manuals from the airstream web site. Just download the PDF. Also, if you want the manual for the Ac, furnace or water heater, you can call Airstream Customer service (not the dealer) with your vin and model number and they will send you all the information you need straight to your email, also in PDF format. Airstream has always been willing to help me whenever needed. I have a 2007 23' Safari
Airone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:22 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Asheville , North Carolina
Maybe it's time to switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post

Damon
Airstream doesn't really make Airstreams anymore?

That's like Boeing not making the 737 or 777 anymore!

Maybe it's time to save our money and switch to Bowlus or another option?
LanSluder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Manuals

Techs in the 1981-present transferred from rip it apart HE MAN! to Automotive industry procedures. They are now used to exploded views and manufactures pdf’s on how to remove and rebuild a customers vehicle and not destroy it.

Not all of us Brian will just grab a screw gun and start tearing apart bravely going where no man has gone before on a new trailer under warranty.

As Moderators you have seen I have asked for pdf’s or instructions or a video of how to remove a front lounge properly. NADA nothing. Until a hero posts a video on YouTube.

It’s good for the $$$$$$$ solar /lithium /inverter installers and dealers but who taught them? So I guess a Airstream is a Ninja blender Airstream makes the glass and everyone else who vendors throws in some smoothie ingredients. The staff on the line hit's blend and the end user figures out the mess.

Then the techs at Jackson center figure it out under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Airstream manuals are not worth much when it comes to repairs. Minor repairs can usually be accomplished with information readily available on the Internet.

Brian
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:08 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Airstream does not make its own aluminum from ore, they don't fabricate their own rivets, they also don't make tires. Just like every other manufacturer, they get stuff in from other folks. Ford no longer makes it's own steel ..

They very much do put a lot of bits and pieces together. In doing so this and that gets hidden here and there. Knowing just where this or that runs and how to get to it could save a lot of time on various tasks.

Bob
Old 05-12-2022, 07:43 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Simple answer is that no, dealers do not have anything more than what you can download from the web. Like you, they can call up the folks at JC and ask for this or that specific drawing. Based on the conversations I've had, you will likely get them faster than the dealer tech's do. Just how useful the drawings are .... who knows ....

Bob
Problem is, a lot of what's in the manuals is WRONG. As in, completely wrong locations for stuff (like the water pump in my '22 Caravel 20FB). If you call AS, they'll be looking at the same bad info. I reported it to them, but it's still not fixed in the online manual.

I had this happen yesterday when doing a bike repair - the OEM's online procedure for removing the crankset was 100% backwards, and when I called their techs, they just parroted the same bad info. When I explained that it was completely backwards, they were "wow - you're right". Yikes.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:21 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBullotta View Post
Problem is, a lot of what's in the manuals is WRONG. As in, completely wrong locations for stuff (like the water pump in my '22 Caravel 20FB). If you call AS, they'll be looking at the same bad info. I reported it to them, but it's still not fixed in the online manual.

I had this happen yesterday when doing a bike repair - the OEM's online procedure for removing the crankset was 100% backwards, and when I called their techs, they just parroted the same bad info. When I explained that it was completely backwards, they were "wow - you're right". Yikes.
Hi

If they did a shop manual, it would be done by the same cut and paste approach. The info there would be equally wrong. They simply do not have the staff to do them from scratch each year. Having done this sort of stuff for a living, the amount of time and effort involved is pretty massive.

Bob